View Full Version : I've been BOMBED!!!

Brian Effinger
01-23-2010, 2:39 PM
You know those movies where one army guy tosses a grenade at the opposing guy, and that other guy picks it up and tosses it back before it goes off, well I feel like the first army guy.

Look what just came in the mail (although to be fair, I did have a head's up that this was coming):

139490 139491

That John Keeton is a sneaky guy. It is a blank of the cottonwood crotch he posted the other day. Even better, it is already bandsawed and ready for the lathe (my bandsaw is still unassembled & I got it in October). He really is one heck of a guy. :)

All I can say is that I am humbled that JK thought enough of me to send me wood. I won't have enough time today to get started on it and tomorrow I have to be out on a job site, so I wrapped it back up, and will rough it out this coming week. I just hope I can do a good job on it. I'll post photos of my progress from rough out to final turning here in this thread.

Thanks again, Mr. Keeton. I really appreciate the kind gesture. It warms my heart on a cold January day.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2010, 2:57 PM
Congrats Brian!

John believes in pay backs!:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2010, 3:06 PM
Brian congrats. John is indeed a gentleman and scholar.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2010, 3:08 PM
Congrats Brian! I like the idea of posting photos of the progress! Keeps everyone in the loop and those folks new to turning can see how a pro does it! ;)

John Keeton
01-23-2010, 4:19 PM
Brian, it was a cluster bomb, and there may be other victims yet unknown!!!:D Enjoy!

"John is indeed a gentleman and scholar." Bernie, you stretched a bit to get that one!! But, thanks for the attempt!

Dan Forman
01-23-2010, 4:49 PM
Very cool. I've heard that cottonwood can have some really nice crotch figure.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2010, 4:50 PM
It was, indeed, a cluster bomb.

I got one too!

Thank you John.

The LOML took both digital cameras and flew to Houston for a 4 day weekend with our youngest son, wife and the soon to be born twins. They were having a baby shower this weekend.

I'll have to post photos later.

Tony De Masi
01-23-2010, 6:27 PM
Congrats Brian and well done Mr. Keeton. John sure hasn't wasted any time in paying back has he.

Bernie, a gentleman? Well at least and Esquire.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2010, 6:43 PM
Sorry guys I stick by my words.

Steve Mawson
01-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Way to go Brian. Cottonwood is something we have a lot of around here so will be watching to see this production. That JK does keep things interesting.

GLENN THOMAS
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Brian,

If someone were to throw a grenade like that at me I would sacrifice myself by jumping on it and taking one for the team. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

GT

Brian Effinger
01-24-2010, 4:49 PM
Brian, it was a cluster bomb, and there may be other victims yet unknown!!!:D Enjoy!

Dastardly & diabolical! :D

Thanks again, John. And thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Since this is a crotch piece, I should keep the inside of the blank at the bottom of the bowl, and the bark toward the rim, right? Like a NE bowl?

Brian