PDA

View Full Version : Should I use pocket screws in addition to glue in a dado?

dennis thompson
01-23-2010, 1:38 PM
I am building a computer desk. The top & bottom are 23/32" plywood. There are two dividers (23/32" thick) between the top & bottom which fit into 1/4" dadoes I have cut. The instructions (the plan is from Woodsmith) call for gluing the dividers into the dadoes, My questions are:
-should I use pocket screws in addition to the glue(the dividers will be inside the desk so the pockets screws won't be seen)?
-if pocket screws are recommended what size should I use...the dividers are 23/32" & they fit into a 1/4" dado so the wood the screws would go thru (the dividers) is 23/32 & the screws would go into wood about 15/32" thick?
Thanks
Dennis

Myk Rian
01-23-2010, 1:59 PM
I made my router table with nothing but glued dados. They are a very strong joint. It doesn't move one bit.

Bruce Page
01-23-2010, 2:17 PM
I don’t think it is necessary if the joint is not going to be overstressed. That said, I made a small bookcase for my granddaughter and added some pocket screws to the dados just for the peace of mind. I did some test pieces just to make sure that the screw wouldn't be too long.

Rod Sheridan
01-23-2010, 2:21 PM
You'll be just fine without pocket screws, using a glued dado.

Regards, Rod

Vince Shriver
01-23-2010, 2:34 PM
Pocket screws can be handy when used in place of clamps, until the glue cures. Gives a little added strength, but as stated already not necessary.