PDA

View Full Version : Hope you can help...

donald bugansky
01-23-2010, 1:25 PM
Folks, Just 2 things I would like to ask,

My father-in-law passed away last Sunday and I'm going to try and make a little memorial (granite) that can sit on my mother-in-laws fireplace mantel.

I've searched the forum for images of doves with limited success.

1) Does anyone have any dove images they are willing to share?

2) Lastly, I purchased (retail) some granite stone shapes from Laserbits for this memorial gift to her. Any quick tips on working with granite on the laser?

Thanks for any help/hints you can offer, Bugs

Tim Bateson
01-23-2010, 1:39 PM
Try this thread. A lot of good memorials there & a few doves.

Opps - here you go: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105312

donald bugansky
01-23-2010, 1:45 PM
Tim,

Was the link edited out or did you forgot to paste by chance?

Regardless, thanks for your prompt reply to my post.

Tim Bateson
01-23-2010, 1:56 PM
Here are a couple vector doves I pulled from another graphic.

Tom Bull
01-23-2010, 1:59 PM
Here is a great tutorial, go to page 14

www.coreldrawpro.com/library/CP-607.pdf (http://www.coreldrawpro.com/library/CP-607.pdf)

Bruce Volden
01-23-2010, 4:11 PM
Bugs,

Here is one of my favorite "doves", maybe something you can use. In V 10.

Bruce

Lee DeRaud
01-23-2010, 4:55 PM
2) Lastly, I purchased (retail) some granite stone shapes from Laserbits for this memorial gift to her. Any quick tips on working with granite on the laser?1. Get some cheap "Absolute Black" granite tiles from Home Depot or Lowes to experiment with.
2. If you engrave something and it doesn't look right, try reducing the power: 9 times out of 10, suggested settings for granite are too "hot".
Too much power just makes larger fragments spall off the surface, which kills the detail.

donald bugansky
01-23-2010, 6:15 PM
Bruce & Tim, Thanks for the files.

Lee, as usual, you were spot on. I bought a box of tiles for experimentation and had the exact results. The suggested settings for my laser/granite were way too hot and just ruined the detail.

Tom, thanks for the link.

You guys are way too cool- thanks for helping out.

Bugs

Dee Gallo
01-23-2010, 7:44 PM
Hi Bugs,

I see you got the help you needed, so I'm just here to say I'm sorry to hear of your loss and this will be quite a nice memorial for him. People simply love stone engravings.

cheers, dee

Roy Nicholson
01-24-2010, 6:10 AM
Regards

Roy N.