PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to the Shop

Paul Canaris
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Got this earlier this month and just got around to calibrating and cleaning it up a bit.

It's a Northtech Model NT-25-3 Hollow Chisel Mortiser:
* 2 HP • 3 PH • 230V • 3600 RPM motor
* 1/4" -1" chisel capacity
* stroke of 0-3 3/8"
* Rack and pinion movement of table;
* L to R = 10 1/2"
* F to B = 5"
* solid cast iron construction
* made in 1999
This unit seems to have seen very little use since it was purchased, it's a real cherry. First cuts before calibration were quite good, have to give it a real trial run soon.

Next step is to cut down on the size of the pallet it came on and mount casters for mobility. This will put it a great height as I am pretty tall. So this cuts the square holes; next up is something that cuts slots and that should allow me to address any M&T task that will present itself.

Paul Canaris
01-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Few more Details

Brandon Weiss
01-23-2010, 11:52 AM
What is this I'm feeling? Oh, yeah. It is envy. How sinful of me....

Nice new piece of equipment! I would love to have the room for something like that. Looks like it will be very quick to use and hopefully will produce excellent results!

Mitchell Andrus
01-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Nice find. A hint...Fisch brand chisel/bits are my first choice. I've rarely had good results with the cheaper ones. Soft woods crush and hard woods don't cut if the business end isn't really well made and carefully kept.

Paul Canaris
01-23-2010, 12:37 PM
The chisels came from Lee Valley; these are the Japanese chisles some on this forum have spoken well of. Although I will check out the ones you recommend as these wear.

lou sansone
01-24-2010, 10:56 PM
nice unit. looks like it has the right amount of heft

lou

Aaron Hastings
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
The chisels came from Lee Valley; these are the Japanese chisles some on this forum have spoken well of. Although I will check out the ones you recommend as these wear.

I have been using the Lee Valley chisels for 4 years now. They have performed quite well.

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Before you get the official "you suck" what did you have to give for that baby?