PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Dvorak keyboard?

Belinda Barfield
01-23-2010, 11:31 AM
If so, I have some questions.

1) If you were QWERTY trained how long did it take to retrain to the Dvorak layout?

2) Did it improve your typing speed?

3) Pros? Cons?

I currently type 82-85 words per minute on a QWERTY board. I'd like to add some speed but I a little concerned about this old dog learning a new trick. Also, I'm not always on the same keyboard so I think it would be difficult to transition back and forth between the two layouts.

Any input/advice woud be greatly appreciated!

Derek Gilmer
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
The two questions I have are: How many computers do you work at on a regular basis that you can change to dvorak? And of those how many can you change the setting to dvorak on with out confusing family/co-workers?

In my early days of programming/web design I learned dvorak for the novelty of it. It definitely has is pros. However I found myself going extremely slow when having to use non-dvorak keyboards because I was out of practice. And anyone who had to use my computer was completely lost or I had to change the keyboard setting back.

The major gain wasn't really speed for me it was comfort in typing. However I have a microsoft ergonomic qwerty keyboard now and it has to be the most comfortable setup ever.

Belinda Barfield
01-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the input Derek. I work at two different computers at work, and one at home. The only one I can change is the one in my office. Most people at work can't use my keyboard anyway because I've worn the lettering off the keys. I could get a new keyboard, but I don't really need one or want one.

Maybe I should just consider a ergonomic qwerty for the comfort.

David G Baker
01-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Belinda,
I went on line and took a look at the Dvorák keyboard. My eyeballs started spinning in my head trying to visualize a transition the his type of keyboard.
I use a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard and have problems with using the standard non ergonomic keyboards so I would be at a loss if I tried the Dvorák and expected the reach any speed or keep my eyes off of the keys.
The highest speed I ever reached in typing class in high school was 25 words a minute with no errors. I am jealous of anyone that can type 82-85 wpm.

Derek Gilmer
01-23-2010, 1:45 PM
I swear by the microsoft 4000: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109148&cm_re=microsoft_4000-_-23-109-148-_-Product

I bought one for home and work. It is heart breaking when I have just my laptop and have to use it's keyboard. I'd go to best buy and buy a few, they have a generous return policy to find which ergonomic you like the most. After getting used to it if you aren't happy I'd say try the dvorak. I think there are some programs that sit in the system try by your clock to let you quickly switch from qwerty to dvorak. Maybe with that you could switch all 3 but only when you are using them? I know it confused my mind trying to use dvorak one place and qwerty another.

Harry Hagan
01-23-2010, 2:11 PM
Years ago, after PCs had been available for a while, I remember a TV show featuring a man who claimed to be the world’s fastest typist. He said typewriter manufacturers had settled on QWERTY because it was the most inefficient keyboard layout. In essence, QWERTY enabled their inadequate machines to not lockup as often and made the manufacturers look better. The purpose of his demonstration was to show that computers and electronic keyboards had made QWERTY unnecessary.

To prove his point, he “typed” at world record pace on QWERTY and then increased the rate many times over on the new layout without any mistakes either time.

Thirty years later speech recognition software has made any keyboard layout obsolete; but we’re still using QWERTY.

Andy Pedler
01-23-2010, 2:22 PM
You might be surprised to find out speech recognition isn't very helpful. Dictation is a special skill that few people possess. You'd make more errors dictating a memo than you would typing it, unless you've been specially trained in dictation.

Keyboards aren't going anywhere for a long time.

ap

Belinda Barfield
01-23-2010, 2:28 PM
I use a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard and have problems with using the standard non ergonomic keyboards so I would be at a loss if I tried the Dvorák and expected the reach any speed or keep my eyes off of the keys.
The highest speed I ever reached in typing class in high school was 25 words a minute with no errors. I am jealous of anyone that can type 82-85 wpm.

That's my speed on a standard test. When I get to cheat and use autocorrect and macros I'm MUCH faster.:D

I swear by the microsoft 4000: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109148&cm_re=microsoft_4000-_-23-109-148-_-Product

I bought one for home and work. It is heart breaking when I have just my laptop and have to use it's keyboard. I'd go to best buy and buy a few, they have a generous return policy to find which ergonomic you like the most. After getting used to it if you aren't happy I'd say try the dvorak. I think there are some programs that sit in the system try by your clock to let you quickly switch from qwerty to dvorak. Maybe with that you could switch all 3 but only when you are using them? I know it confused my mind trying to use dvorak one place and qwerty another.

I'll take your advice.

Years ago, after PCs had been available for a while, I remember a TV show featuring a man who claimed to be the world’s fastest typist. He said typewriter manufacturers had settled on QWERTY because it was the most inefficient keyboard layout. In essence, QWERTY enabled their inadequate machines to not lockup as often and made the manufacturers look better. The purpose of his demonstration was to show that computers and electronic keyboards had made QWERTY unnecessary.

To prove his point, he “typed” at world record pace on QWERTY and then increased the rate many times over on the new layout without any mistakes either time.

Thirty years later speech recognition software has made any keyboard layout obsolete; but we’re still using QWERTY.

If you want to test your speed go here http://www.free-typing-test.com/?page=home

According to that site the current record holder is Barbara Blackburn (since 2005). Using a Dvorak board she maintained 150 wpm for 50 minutes, 170 wpm for short periods, and her peak speed was clocked as 212.

I am a part time medical transcriptionist. When I worked at transcription full time my typical output was 2000 to 2500 lines of type per 8 hours. When I work for an independent transcription service speed and shortcuts count because I am paid by the line. I've been hearing for years that SR is going to put me out of business, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure it will eventually but one of the physicians I transcribe for has one of the strongest accents I've dealt with in a long time. SR would be whimpering in a corner after five minutes. :rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
01-23-2010, 2:34 PM
You might be surprised to find out speech recognition isn't very helpful. Dictation is a special skill that few people possess. You'd make more errors dictating a memo than you would typing it, unless you've been specially trained in dictation.

Keyboards aren't going anywhere for a long time.

ap

Good dictators, either type, are few and far behind. Most physicians dictate at the office. There are people talking in the background, phones ringing, and beepers beeping. A lot of them dictate while they eat lunch. There a lot of "ums", "ahs", "I, I", etc. that are spoken as well. I once transcribed for a doctor who dictated from his bathroom . . . really pleasant. Oh, and when a physician says, "No wait, scratch that." with SP that could end up in some pretty interesting places in a patient's exam report. :p

David G Baker
01-23-2010, 5:49 PM
Derek,
I use an older model of the 4000 style and love it. When I used my laptop I would plug my Microsoft keyboard in the back of the laptop and use it instead of the one on the laptop if I was working at home.

Derek Gilmer
01-23-2010, 7:00 PM
Derek,
I use an older model of the 4000 style and love it. When I used my laptop I would plug my Microsoft keyboard in the back of the laptop and use it instead of the one on the laptop if I was working at home.
For any extended use I'll do that. Most of the time I have my laptop docked at work with a 4000 or I connect to work on my desktop that also has a 4000 on it. The rare occasion where I use my laptop sitting on the couch with the standard laptop keyboard helps me remember why I love the ergos :)

Leo Graywacz
01-23-2010, 7:08 PM
Wild looking

http://www.maltron.com/images/keyboards/maltron-usb-dual-l90-uk-mac-dvorak-1-large.jpg

Randal Stevenson
01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Due to helping a friend change a fuel pump, I ended up with a curved finger, when the exhaust guard slashed through the muscle. (didn't think it was that deep and didn't go to the emergency room)

I've considered it. But my brother in law, who types a good portion of the day (cops hate reports), uses the wave style keyboards, and loves them. I have one and it sits on a spare computer. Whether you change, or not, I would look at something like Gnu Typist. (free/open source typing program) You will need practice with your new style keyboard (which can be changed between, with a macro), or you could try to run some games, do things different, to increase your speed on your old keyboard. (not to mention different keyboards with key sensitivity could change your speed)

Michael Schapansky
01-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Maltron would be bad electronics?