PDA

View Full Version : Finding Minwax Antique Oil

Tim Browne
01-23-2010, 8:40 AM
I've been looking for a month now and can't find a local supplier. I've checked Home Depot in Lebanon and Chattanooga, Lowes in those towns plus Cookeville. Also checked Hardware stores in Cleveland (TN) and Cookeville, Wally World, Kmart and Sears. Best I've done is an Ace that'll order it, if I buy 6 quarts at a time.
Does anyone know a local source between Nashville and Knoxville? Ordering online is too expensive with shipping.
BTW, my wife did find some at a hardware store. It's the standard pint can with a white printed circle added (not a sticker) that says walnut. The back of this can says "available in clear or walnut". I wonder how old this can is. She paid $4.95 and I'll bet they were glad to see it go.

Greg Just
01-23-2010, 9:08 AM
Although I have never used Minwax antique oil, I would think that Deft and Watco Danish Oil might be a good subsititute. HD was recently clearing our all of their Watco for about 90 cents a pint. Lowes carries Watco too. Good luck.

Richard Madden
01-23-2010, 9:52 AM
True Value Hardware is where I get mine. They had to order it, but no minimum. Took about a week and cost around $12.00 IIRC. It's funny that HD carries a lot of Minwax products but not Antique Oil.
Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
My local Ace Hardware orders it for me. They don't stock it. It costs about $15 a quart IIRC.

Robert McGowen
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I never found any locally either. I did the google thing and ended up ordering the case of 6 from Ace Hardware. It was the best deal around at the time. I used to use Watco Danish Oil, but I like the Antique Oil much better now.

Ken Glass
01-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Ace Hardware.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Another vote for Ace Hardware.

Curt Fuller
01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
My local Ace Hardware has quit stocking it. But you can buy in online from Rockler. However......this is a very good subsitute http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Finishing___Finishes___Urethane_Oil___urethane_oil ?Args=

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
My True Value Hardware store orders it in for me when he places a Minwax order.

Dave Ogren
01-23-2010, 1:23 PM
Tim,

I was in the same delemina as you are. My local Sherwin Williams is a dealer so they ordered a case and I have been buying it a quart at a time for $14.95 each, that is the suggested list price.

Since then I discovered that my local Ace hardware, 2 blocks from home, carries it in stock also.

Look up Minwax on the internet and call them and they will tell you who is a distributor.

Good Luck,

Dave

Ryan Baker
01-23-2010, 5:10 PM
I got it off the shelf at ACE hardware. Hopefully they will keep stocking it.

Richard Madison
01-23-2010, 5:20 PM
My local Ace hardware has it, but got mine from Robert after he got a case. I like it pretty well for some things.

Jeff Mohr
01-23-2010, 7:40 PM
I see it at my local Ace but never bought it. Is it any good?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2010, 7:42 PM
Jeff,

This is my opinion based on my experience.

It appears to build up a finish quicker than regular danish oil.

Usually 1-2 coats is all I need. Let it dry and buff it out.

I soak say the inside of a bowl with it...and keep it wet for 10 minutes....then I wipe off the excess and let it dry overnight. The next day I flip the bowl over and do the same thing to the outside.....keep it wet for 10 minutes and then wipe off the excess.

I repeat the process one more time......let it dry for 48 hours to a week and then buff it out.

That has been my experience.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2010, 7:44 PM
I agree with Ken. It does build faster and only need no more the 3 coats.

Toney Robertson
01-23-2010, 8:18 PM
I soak say the inside of a bowl with it...and keep it wet for 10 minutes....then I wipe off the excess and let it dry overnight. The next day I flip the bowl over and do the same thing to the outside.....keep it wet for 10 minutes and then wipe off the excess.

Ken,

Just a question. Why do you do only the inside, let it dry and then do the outside?

Toney

Jim Sample
01-23-2010, 8:29 PM
Think I found mine at Menards.( they are scattered in the Midwest)

Jim Sample

Rob Cunningham
01-25-2010, 8:55 AM
I haven't been able to find it locally either yet. The guy in Lowes paint dept. told me they don't carry it anymore because of VOC regulations. I'll have to give Ace Hardware a try.

Jeff Mohr
01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Ken,
Thanks for the tips.

Tim Browne
01-27-2010, 9:55 AM
Thanks for the help guys. My wife tracked down a dusty can at an Ace Hdwr in Nashville yesterday. Now I need to make something to use it on.
In the late '70's I made a Trestle table for my dining room and finished it with Minwax Antique Oil Finish. That table has gone through a lot, living in 3 states and several locations. The finish is still intact after more than 30 years.

Ray Chalenski
01-27-2010, 5:12 PM
I get mine from Sear's Hardware store. They carry it in the pint size.It's around 7 dollars.

Wally Wenzel
01-27-2010, 8:40 PM
I have bought it at the local Menards, Wally