PDA

View Full Version : my first HF

Joseph M Lary
01-23-2010, 8:32 AM
Got around to finishing my hollowing rig and turmed my first form. Need to get it dried and finished . Let me know what you think . I think it should have been taller.

John Keeton
01-23-2010, 8:45 AM
Hard to tell with it lying down!:D Just kiddin'!

Joe, not having attempted one, I think it looks pretty good.

The studying that I have been doing on form would probably say that the larger diameter area (not sure of the correct term - waist??) should be a more fair radius and be perhaps a tad lower on the form. But, I am certainly not qualified to judge such things. Just trying to put into practice my very recent "booklearnin' "

If my first one simply stays together through the slaughter process of my efforts, it will be deemed a success!

I guess I missed the thread, or simply don't recall, but what hollowing rig do you have?

Joseph M Lary
01-23-2010, 9:04 AM
Been messing around with my own idea never posted anything on it. bought a Jamieson double ended bar and cutter an made the rest. still working on the design here are some pics. Got some work to do on it, fine tuning you might say .:D

Baxter Smith
01-23-2010, 9:22 AM
I will agree with what John said about the shape and agree with you about the height to width. For what thats worth!:D I have done just enough bowls to start thinking about hollowing. All beginners efforts in that regard I find very interesting, both the turning and how its done - your rest! Thanks for posting the pictures. It heightens my interest!
Looks like a start I would be very happy with!:)

John Keeton
01-23-2010, 9:23 AM
Joe, looks like you have put some real thought into the rig!! I think that deserves its own thread with some close up pics. Looks simple enough, and should do the job. The pipe looks like conduit - what did you use?

charlie knighton
01-23-2010, 9:59 AM
very nice, save it and compare to your 50th hf

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Joseph - for a first hollow form - this one is pretty good!

You mentioned that you were going to let it dry and then finish it. Does it have finish on it now that you are letting dry or is this a rough out that you plan to re-turn once the wood is dry?

What kind of wood is this and how thick is the form?

Curious as everything impacts the final product! Nice work on your hollowing system! I agree with John - when you have fine tuned it a little - give it it's own thread as there are lots of folks interested in making their own tools.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Joseph great looking HF and really nice looking rig. I generally put my finish on as soon as I have the HF finished. If I use a oil like Antique Oil is seems to keep it from warping and cracking.

Wayne Bower
01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Very nice looking HF. Your rig looks pretty good too. You will have fun with it and if you are like me, you will allways be tinkering with it. Good job.

Joseph M Lary
01-23-2010, 1:37 PM
Steve,its green walnut and was really wet in side, so i put a paper sack around the out side taped it to the rim, left the hole open to let out moisture . Its abut 1/4" so it shouldnt take too long to dry.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2010, 1:40 PM
Hope all goes well with the drying! Looking forward to seeing it when finished!

David E Keller
01-23-2010, 2:22 PM
Nice job. I, too, would be interested in the rig you've built.