PDA

View Full Version : Who Made This Hand Drill?

Dan Andrews
01-23-2010, 8:11 AM
I have 26 hand drills made by Millers Falls, Goodell-Pratt, Stanley and ?
This is the only one I have not been able to identify.

Cast iron frame has black jappaning. Drive gear has no finish, or perhaps was some kind of metalic coating. Head is orriginal. Crank knob is probably orriginal. It was bolted directly to the drive gear, but it was obvious that the metal crank arm was missing, so I made the replacement you see on it now. Overall length is exactly 10 inches.

Any help would be appreciated.

David Gendron
01-23-2010, 9:42 PM
Sorry, no idea! Nice looking tool BTW. You could always send it my way to have a look;)

Dan Andrews
01-23-2010, 9:57 PM
I would send it to you David for a closer look, but I am affraid that it might fall off the dog sled that delivers mail in the Yukon :)

Jim Koepke
01-24-2010, 3:16 AM
Have you inspected the chuck closely?

Especially the smooth area at the top end in your pictures.

I have seen maker information stamped in there at times.

jim

Dan Andrews
01-24-2010, 5:41 PM
I double checked the entire chuck carefully with a magnifying glass. No name.
Good idea though.
By the way, the chuck on this drill is tiny. Only about 2/3 the size of a typical 1/4" chuck. I'll bet the makers' name was on the orriginal crank arm like Millers Falls and Goodell-Pratt. Much of the construction and design is simmilar to those two brands.

Dan Andrews
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I just want to bring this question back to the top of posts in hopes of finding someone who can identify this drill.

Dan Andrews
03-23-2010, 7:33 PM
I imagine everyone has been waiting in suspense for the answer to the profound question, "Who Made This Hand Drill?" :rolleyes:

And the answer is... (drum roll please)... Consolidated Tool Works, Inc.
296 Broadway, New York, NY. In business 1890 until at least the 1920's.

The model I have is a Pilot No. 12
They also made planes, braces, breast drills, screwdrivers and machinist tools.

There, with this info. everyone should sleep better tonight. :D

Rick Erickson
03-23-2010, 7:45 PM
How did you figure it out?

Dan Andrews
03-24-2010, 6:15 AM
I saw the same model on ebay with good closeups of the crank arm. The model number and manuf. are on the crank arm (mine was missing the crank arm).
The rest of the info was from internet search.