PDA

View Full Version : Gluing veneer to particle board/mdf

Dan Mitchell
01-23-2010, 5:14 AM
I'm making a lamp out of particle board, MDF, & Hard Maple & Machiche veneer I resawed on the bandsaw. Basically stuff I had laying around from previous projects & thought I'd see if I might put to use. All has gone well so far, but the final step, gluing the Maple veneer to the outer curves of the lamp, has me a bit stumped. I don't know how to clamp it in position around the curved faces of the base while the glue dries. If I had about 4 or 5 of those Bessey strap clamps, that would probably do, but alas I only have one. I have some HF cargo straps, but I can't seem to pull them tightly enough to press the maple down completely. Veneer is maybe 3/64" thick. I'm wondering if contact cement might be the answer. Only possible issue is the rear of the veneer is the rough surface from the bandsaw, not sure if that would matter. Any suggestions appreciated. Below is a pic, sorry it's a bit blurry, but it's nearly 1:30 in the morning, so I'm a bit blurry too :D Lamp is about 12" high, 9" wide, and the veneer strips (2 per side, meeting in the center) are about 5 3/4" wide. In case it's not obvious, the idea is for the open section in the middle to remain open, by cutting away the maple over that area once it's fixed in place.

TIA

Dan

Chad Easterling
01-23-2010, 6:08 AM
Go to Staples or somewhere similar and get a bag of the heavy-duty rubber bands that are 1/2" or so wide. That should hold the veneer in place while the adhesive bonds.

jim gossage
01-23-2010, 6:47 AM
The best way would be to use a vacuum press. Another standard option would be to make a piece out of MDF that fits up against the side of your lamp base and matches its curve. Cover the mating surface with cork or foam. you put the veneer in between the two pieces and then clamp them together.

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 7:19 AM
The best way would be to use a vacuum press. Another standard option would be to make a piece out of MDF that fits up against the side of your lamp base and matches its curve. Cover the mating surface with cork or foam. you put the veneer in between the two pieces and then clamp them together.

+1 for both. Do you know anyone that has a vacuum press? The form press seems like a lot of work for a one off piece but it would work and be cheap but time intensive.

A third and inexpensive option would be Heat Lock veneer glue. Would essentially make your veneer like iron on edge banding.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_info.php?products_id=737&osCsid=456bcb45b38e5e9172c0738ec9529ac3

Frank Drew
01-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Ixnay on the contact cement; it's usually not very good with solid wood veneer.

A vacuum press might work if you cut the veneers very closely to their final shape; otherwise, any excess beyond a tiny amount would get snapped off by the pressure.

Hammer veneering with hot glue -- maybe the glue Van mentions -- might be easiest after all.

Just how rough is the veneer on the side you want to glue? Too uneven and you risk poor glue adhesion. Additionally, you might consider appying a thin coat of glue to the particle board surfaces before doing the veneering, to at least partially fill the porous surface; otherwise you might risk a starved glue line as the particle board sucks in the glue.

David DeCristoforo
01-23-2010, 10:47 AM
The "BetterBond" glue Van linked to is great for this kind of situation. I have used it often though never with veneer that thick. Vacuum pressing would be the best way. Whatever you do, do not use contact cement unless you are using a backed veneer and especially not with a veneer that thick.

Dan Mitchell
01-24-2010, 9:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I got the 1st piece on with a variety of straps & clamps, once the glues sets on it I think I will cobble up some curved cauls for the other 3 sections. I've seen the vacuum approach on video, does look like the way to go but out of my $$$ range at the moment.

Steve Walls
01-24-2010, 9:56 PM
Surgical tubing might work well,

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31159&cat=1,43838,47843