PDA

View Full Version : Festool owners and non-owners

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 2:48 AM
To the Festool owners:

Lets assume a armed militia came to take all but one of your Festools (they will let you keep your vacuum as well) lets further assume you and yours LOST the conflict. They explain you can keep 1 Festool and that Festool is outlawed and all others in the entire world will be destroyed (don't cry its a hypothetical!) except the one you choose to keep but you are fortunate enough to be able to buy accessories and repair for this one tool for life, which one would you keep?

To the non-owners:

If you were offered one Festool (the only one you could ever own and could not sell it) along with a vacuum, which one would you choose.

This question comes as I ponder my first Festool purchase. I like a lot of their tools, some however just don't seem worth the premium for me to replace a tool I already have. After much thought, watching demos and playing with them I have arrived at the Domino as "the" Festool, I see it as the tool in their line that offers the most innovative solution and the greatest leap over other tools and techniques that serve the same basic function. Just curous what others think in this regard.

Bill Jepson
01-23-2010, 3:54 AM
The VAcuum being a given, I would probably keep the Guided saw. I think it is a close thing with the 5" sander though.
Bill

Bill Borchardt
01-23-2010, 5:45 AM
Domino.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

Cliff Holmes
01-23-2010, 5:53 AM
I only have the T15 Drill and the Domino. I'd have to go with the drill, but just barely.

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 7:28 AM
I only have the T15 Drill and the Domino. I'd have to go with the drill, but just barely.

Wow, now that one surprises me, I know it is a very good drill and I suppose if you regularly use one or more of the specialty chucks it could be hard to replace but the last one I expected to see kept was the drill...

Cliff Holmes
01-23-2010, 7:49 AM
Wow, now that one surprises me

Probably beecause you don't use one. It's hard to describe exactly why it's so good, but it was a real eye-opener for me. I tried one out at my local dealer and wasn't particularly impressed and told him I just didn't see how it could be worth $450. He told me to give it an extended try, I could always return it within 30 days. That first few days, I was sure I would be returning it. But then, over the course of a couple weeks, I began to really love it. The electronic clutch, the intelligent speed control, great torque, good balance, it's a ton of little things that are very good with no drawbacks. It's super well-made. The specialty chucks are really cool. The accessories are smartly designed and rugged, albeit expensive. I literally tried a dozen different drills over a few months and didn't completely like any of them, but the Festool's a keeper.

Tony Shea
01-23-2010, 9:41 AM
I'm in the second situation, don't own any festool products but would really love to. But out of all their line of tools I think that the first I would buy would def. be the Domino. What a great design in a tool. This thing would make my life a whole lot easier by reducing my time at the bench producing small moritise and tenons.

Although the track saw is right up there on the list of things to get, but have been contemplating the purchase of the Dewalt version. Still, neither of them fit my budget at the moment.

Steve Rowe
01-23-2010, 9:44 AM
I think the answer to your question will become moot once you get your first Festool because as I discovered - bet you can't get just one. But given the choice, I would keep the ETS-150/3 sander with the vacuum. I do have a number of other Festool products including some routers, other sanders, Domino, guided saw (older model) and drill (older model).

Mike Goetzke
01-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I would never have bought any Festool tools had it not been for a once in a lifetime deal on e-bay when MS cashback was 30% and e-bay added 10%. I bought the CT33, Domino w/kit, and 6" Rotex. Later I found a private ad on e-bay for ETS150-3. I use the CT33 a lot especially with my non-Festool track saw system with a pre-seperator. I haven't had many times I needed the Domino - but will soon. I have had times the Rotex came in real handy, but, I must say my favorite Festool is the ETS150-3. It is light weight, has good dust collection, low vibration, and the paper lasts forever.

Mike

Joe Leigh
01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
The cost of Festool being what it is, made me pause for quite a while before making my first purchase. They make a lot of sexy tools so I asked myself which tool would I get the most use from? The one tool I use on most every project is the sander. That's why if I had to give them all up except one I would keep the sander.

Bill Borchardt
01-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Although I already answered on what single Festool I'd keep if I could only have one (Domino), I'll add to the positive remarks on Festool sanders and drills. (Expensive, but great.)

BTW here’s how I'd rank my Festools:
1. Domino - Makes joinery fast and accurate
2. C-12 drill and accessories (ditto on what previous poster said)
3. 5" Rotex Sander - Great sander with two modes - great dust collection and minimal tiring vibration)
4. ATF 55 Plunge Saw - Fast, accurate and safe for breaking down sheet goods
5. 6" 150/3 Sander - Use it for finish sanding, superior dust collection and not tiring
6. Jigsaw - Good jigsaw but for the little bit better dust collection I'm not sure it's worth extra $$ over a Bosch
7. MFT Folding Worktable - Handy, well engineered, but probably would not buy it again - would build my own specialty folding work table.

Note: Although I have a Festool vacuum (and it's great) other less expensive vacuums are almost as good and a lot less $$.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

Clifford Mescher
01-23-2010, 11:41 AM
I think the answer to your question will become moot once you get your first Festool because as I discovered - bet you can't get just one. But given the choice, I would keep the ETS-150/3 sander with the vacuum. I do have a number of other Festool products including some routers, other sanders, Domino, guided saw (older model) and drill (older model).
+1 . Clifford.

Bob Haskett
01-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Just watched the video on the domino....WOW...I want one, but 825 bucks??? Almost more than my table saw, jointer, and soon to be planer combined....

Bruce Page
01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Since I only have one Festool tool – the ETS-150/3 sander, I guess I’ll keep it. :)

Rob Wright
01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
That's a hard one but I think the TS-55 for me

Mark P. Miller
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
A non-owner here.

I'd get a Domino.

Paul Atkins
01-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Do they make a lathe?

Erik Frederiksen
01-23-2010, 1:23 PM
I have the ts55, domino, of1010, rotex, deltex, kapex. I just got the domino, and it's more for fun than a work necessity (remodeler), so I'll leave that out of the equation. For me it's sort of a toss up between the rotex, kapex and ts55, but I'd probably keep the track saw. Ask me in a few months and I may say the domino, I've enjoyed the little bit I've played with it so far.

Thomas Pender
01-23-2010, 5:36 PM
I also bought two 55" tracks that connect - I can cut any size plywood - perfectly. With the MF 1080 - I get wonderful repeatability with cross cuts and the moving stop - easier than my table saw.

The Vacuum is really a tool - it connects to my Porter Cable ROS and I have almost no dust.

Dave Avery
01-23-2010, 6:01 PM
Rotex (and vac)

Rod Sheridan
01-23-2010, 6:02 PM
As a non owner I'd like the sander..............Rod

Peter H Brown
01-23-2010, 6:32 PM
I'd keep my Domino and gladly pay the terrorists to take my 5" Rotex. Love the speed and accuracy of the Domino. Hate just about everything on the Rotex.

-Pete

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 8:07 PM
Interesting all. I am however still blown away by the couple who picked the drill, I am definately missing something.

Mike Heidrick
01-23-2010, 8:26 PM
Only own one - ETS 150/3 - I would keep it. My track saw is yellow.

guy knight
01-23-2010, 8:34 PM
domino then the 150/3

Mark Bolton
01-23-2010, 8:57 PM
Rotex wins hands down every time. Every other tool presents mere convenience over their non-festool counterparts. Even the saw and rail and especially the domino (which is the most over priced festool item after the Kapex).

Most of the festool stuff is great but is just a few gee gaw points over its non-festool counterpart.

That said, the Rotex is one of the only common tools in the lot that simply can not be touched by any competitors.

Its the Rotex period.

Mark

Cliff Holmes
01-23-2010, 8:59 PM
I am however still blown away by the couple who picked the drill

Bill and I are NOT a couple.

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 9:05 PM
Bill and I are NOT a couple.

How about a couple of Festolligans? Better?

Mark Bolton
01-23-2010, 9:14 PM
I'd keep my Domino and gladly pay the terrorists to take my 5" Rotex. Love the speed and accuracy of the Domino. Hate just about everything on the Rotex.

-Pete

What in the world could you hate about the rotex? It has the fastest material removal of any sander out there, best dust collection. There is nary a RO on the market that can even touch it.

The only sander we have that would touch it is an older version of the PC97466 and pound for pound, bulk, and dust collection, it loses.

Mark

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 9:20 PM
It has the fastest material removal of any sander out there,
Mark

Except the Makita B06040, I think the Rotex takes a serious backseat in material removal, but for me that isn't a big deal.

Dave Haughs
01-23-2010, 9:23 PM
Rotex. Hands down

Mark Bolton
01-23-2010, 9:34 PM
Except the Makita B06040, I think the Rotex takes a serious backseat in material removal, but for me that isn't a big deal.

I have to say I have not used the makita with the two settings but our PC's are the first generation PC angle grinder RO's and probably 10 or more years old (cant remember when we bought them) and I have yet to put my hands on a RO that can touch them though they are bulky and heavy. We have several others, DW, Bosch, PC palm style RO,...

If the opportunity arises I will give the makita a shot. It would be impressive if it touches the rotex all around.

Mark

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I have to say I have not used the makita with the two settings but our PC's are the first generation PC angle grinder RO's and probably 10 or more years old (cant remember when we bought them) and I have yet to put my hands on a RO that can touch them though they are bulky and heavy. We have several others, DW, Bosch, PC palm style RO,...

If the opportunity arises I will give the makita a shot. It would be impressive if it touches the rotex all around.

Mark

I can't comment on the long term use ergonomic (which is far more important to me) but I would be surprised if the Festool has faster stock removal or even close actually. The Mak removes stock like a school of octupi with rasps for tentacles jacked up on Mexican crank but just like the angry cephalopods it aint easy to control in course mode but calms down considerable when in fine mode.

Bill Orbine
01-23-2010, 10:49 PM
I only have the Domino. But if I have more than one Festool I'll wage war with the militia. That's my choice..... be a Rambo.

Jim Becker
01-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I can't pick just one...in addition to the CT22, I'd have to keep my 150/3, TDK12 and ATF55. The former two get used constantly. The latter one, doesn't get used that much (I have a slider in the shop), but when I do use it, it makes all the difference.

Jeff Monson
01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Domino hands down, there is just nothing else made that makes joinery so simple.

Tom Welch
01-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Domino. This thing is so cool. :cool: It is the favorite of all my toys.

Van Huskey
01-24-2010, 2:52 AM
I can't pick just one...in addition to the CT22, I'd have to keep my 150/3, TDK12 and ATF55. The former two get used constantly. The latter one, doesn't get used that much (I have a slider in the shop), but when I do use it, it makes all the difference.

Oops, you angered the leader of the militia, he took them all along with the vacuum and detroyed them in front of you, decreed that you are only allowed HF tools from now on but he did leave you one systainer just so you could remember that day... :p

Peter H Brown
01-24-2010, 7:31 AM
What in the world could you hate about the rotex? It has the fastest material removal of any sander out there, best dust collection. There is nary a RO on the market that can even touch it.

The only sander we have that would touch it is an older version of the PC97466 and pound for pound, bulk, and dust collection, it loses.

Mark

Mark,
There are several things about the 5" Rotex that come up short for me. First off is its size and weight. It's a two-handed tool for me which is tiring if you have a lot of sanding to do. Secondly, I find that despite hours of trying to adjust the speed and vacuum pressure, the sander can still jump and spin on a wood face. Sometimes it's a bucking bronco that requires even more grip and work than it's worth. Thirdly, I have not found any of the different grits and grades of Festool sandpaper to be effective at cutting machine marks out of hard woods like white oak and hard or curly maple. In fact, I often wind up with swirls in the wood FROM the sandpaper.

Yes, I love the Festool vacuum/dust collection system but you can't credit the Rotex for that. With two Festool routers, their plunge saw, the domino, the dust vacuum system, and a drill, I am a huge Festool fan. Just don't expect me to praise their sander. Glad you're happy with with yours.

-Pete

Brice Burrell
01-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Mark,
There are several things about the 5" Rotex that come up short for me. First off is its size and weight. It's a two-handed tool for me which is tiring if you have a lot of sanding to do. Secondly, I find that despite hours of trying to adjust the speed and vacuum pressure, the sander can still jump and spin on a wood face. Sometimes it's a bucking bronco that requires even more grip and work than it's worth. Thirdly, I have not found any of the different grits and grades of Festool sandpaper to be effective at cutting machine marks out of hard woods like white oak and hard or curly maple. In fact, I often wind up with swirls in the wood FROM the sandpaper.

Yes, I love the Festool vacuum/dust collection system but you can't credit the Rotex for that. With two Festool routers, their plunge saw, the domino, the dust vacuum system, and a drill, I am a huge Festool fan. Just don't expect me to praise their sander. Glad you're happy with with yours.

-Pete

Pete, your not alone in your distaste for the RO125 (see the FOG). There certainly seems to be some people that never get the hang of the 5" Rotex. Here's a reply of mine in the current "Random Orbit sander-?" thread:

Jeff, I have this sander (the Rotex 125). I get a fair amount of use out it but I almost exclusively use it for aggressive sanding. It can be used as an all purpose sander, for aggressive/finish sanding and polishing. That said, its not my first choice for finish sanding. I find myself using it for aggressive sanding jobs and it excels in this area. Once I get to the finishing stage of the sanding process I prefer to switch over to one of my other Festool sanders. You certainly can use the RO125 as a finish sander, I just find it easier and more efficient to use a traditional RO sander.

There is a learning curve to getting the hang of the technique to hold the sander perfectly flat. It's fairly easy to hold it at a very slight angle because of the weight of the motor in the elongated body, making it unwieldy at times. Some guys get the hang of it right away and some take a long. I think this is one Festool tool that doesn't live up to the hype, with the potentially long learning curve and the amount of physical and mental effort it takes to get flawless results. In other words, the RO125 is a love it or hate it kind of tool.

On the other hand, the RO150 is a much better sander. It doesn't have the same issue with holding it flat because of the large sanding pad. If you want an all purpose sander and you've got the bucks the RO150 is the way to go.

Once you get the hang of the Rotex it is easy to handle even in rotary mode. It's all technique. I'm pretty sure your problem is not holding the sander perfectly flat on the sanding surface. You can try to balance the sander by ever so slightly lifting up on the back.

I'm assuming you've past the 30 day return period?? If you are at whits end with this tool there is good news. The resale value of Festool tools is outstanding. It wouldn't be hard to get 75% of retail, if your lucky 90% or more. This is where Ebay can be your friend. Good luck.

Mark Buchanan
01-24-2010, 1:07 PM
They'll get my Festools when the pry them from my cold dead fingers!:D:D

*****But if I chicken out at the last minuet I'll keep my RO125.*****

Mark

Peter Quinn
01-24-2010, 1:27 PM
I'd smile politely and reach for the 5" ROS, crying silently as his big brother is taken from me. Then I'd begin planning the armed resistance. My side hasn't lost until we are all gone. Letting us live on in anger is a foolish mistake the resistance will live to regret. Have you aver seen what happens to the hand of an armed militia member after it is pushed under power feed into a 5" rabbit cutter on my shaper for taking my tools, hypothetically? They will tell me where they have taken my 6" ROS before its over.

Seriously though, I use the trac saw and domino at work, but don't actually own them in my own shop. I can and do live without them. But without the 5" ROS, things could get ugly. And don't tell the festooligans, but I use PC vacuum for dust collection, and it works well for the sanders.

John Terefenko
01-24-2010, 1:58 PM
Kapex KS120 http://www.festoolusa.com/products/sliding-compound-miter-saws/kapex-ks-120-sliding-compound-miter-saw-561287.html

I just can't pull the trigger on this sweet tool. The accuracy and the small footprint of it with all its well designed features is driving me nuts. Does anyone own this mitersaw and if so please give an honest report. Does anyone have a secret festool place to buy that is cheaper than all the other places that are the same price???

See what you guys did. Got me thinking of this saw all over again. I thought I was beyond this. I got to go back in rehab now.

Aaron Hastings
01-24-2010, 2:48 PM
I only have the Domino. But if I have more than one Festool I'll wage war with the militia. That's my choice..... be a Rambo.

Yes, Sir!

You will not part me with my Domino or 150/3.

Brice Burrell
01-24-2010, 3:42 PM
Kapex KS120 http://www.festoolusa.com/products/sliding-compound-miter-saws/kapex-ks-120-sliding-compound-miter-saw-561287.html

I just can't pull the trigger on this sweet tool. The accuracy and the small footprint of it with all its well designed features is driving me nuts. Does anyone own this mitersaw and if so please give an honest report. Does anyone have a secret festool place to buy that is cheaper than all the other places that are the same price???

See what you guys did. Got me thinking of this saw all over again. I thought I was beyond this. I got to go back in rehab now.

I've had the Kapex since just before it came out. I wrote a review, you can check it out on my site. http://burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage74.html In the interests of full disclosure, this tool was provided by Festool for review purposes. Also, when I wrote the review the newest Milwaukee and Makita saws were out yet. These two saws have leveled the playing field some. That said the Kapex has small footprint and the accuracy that not many saws can match. Is it worth $1300, that is hard to answer because the answer is different for everyone.

Steve Walls
01-24-2010, 4:33 PM

Unless you pick one up used or somehow get a deal on ebay, good luck with getting it cheaper. I just saw an auction the other day for the parallel guides, they were new, the person who bought them actually paid more than they would have through any dealer. Don't people know what they're buying or do they just like winning auctions?:confused:

Scott T Smith
01-24-2010, 8:05 PM
My favorite is the ETS 150/3, and it would be my keeper.

The C12 drill is a very, very close second though.

The Rotax would be third.

The Domino would be fourth.

The MFT would be 5th.

The ATF 55 would be 6th.

Followed by the rest of the goodies (jigsaw, Kapex, other sanders, routers, etc.)