PDA

View Full Version : Target WB Shellac

Leigh Betsch
01-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Target Oxford UltraSeal-WB Water-Based Shellac Sealer & Barrier Coat?
It's a water born shellac.
The reason I ask is because I'm set up to spray water based products only, my exhaust fan isn't explosion proof.
Does if spray well and give a finish that matches a normal shellac? Any problems with it?

I have no idea why my text is red??

Brent Grooms
01-23-2010, 7:25 AM
well, it is very thin and difficult to spray. It works great, but my spraying skills are not really up to its use in a gun. However, you can brush it on and then spray over the top as this is what I have been doing lately until I get my skills improved.

Larry Fox
01-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I agree with Brent that it is pretty thin. I used the Golden Red on my kitchen project almost as a subtle toner and so I sprayed it pretty thin. Of all the Target products I have used I like it the least and will probably not use it again as I would just tint the first couple of topcoats. In terms of spraying alcohol shellac, I do that outside or with the garage doors open. You can get away with doing it at much lower temps than WB products.

Matt Meiser
01-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I got to where I can spray it. My friend that turned me on to it told me mist it on. That's literally what you need to do. Just turn the material flow way down and practice, practice, practice. He also found that it works great wiped on.

Leigh Betsch
01-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info. I suppose the only way to really tell is to try some, although tinting the USL I already have is a good option. I'm not stuck on shellac as a finish, I could go to laquer and be happy if I got the ambur tint right.

Conrad Fiore
01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Leigh,
The UltraSeal should only be used as a barrier coat. It is not a stand alone finish as is alcohol cut shellac, which can be used for both purposes. That said, it a good product to use as a sealer and barrier. As Matt stated, you have to spray a mist or tack coat to give it some grab. Spray the lightest coat possible with a tip size around 1.1 and dial back the fluid control. It sands really nice as a sealer coat and works well as a barrier coat under most WB finishes.

Leigh Betsch
01-23-2010, 3:25 PM
Thanks Conrad. I was planning to use it as a final finish coat, glad I asked.