PDA

View Full Version : Planer Stand

Rich Aldrich
01-22-2010, 11:08 PM
This is the planer stand that I made over the Christmas holidays. I have plans if anyone is interested. They are in AutoCad, but I can save it as a PDF.

The finished height of the stand is about 33". It is very comfortable.

I still have to make drawers, but that will happen as I get time and materials. The second picture shows the plywood top that I always put inside the my cabinets to help square the cabinet and to provide a good surface to fasten the top.

David Dockstader
01-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Rich,

I would love to have plans for the stand in PDF, if you could. My planer is sitting on an old file cabinet and this looks like a lot better solution.

Dave

David H Parker
01-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Wow! very nice, it looks like it belongs in the kitchen. I'd love to have a copy of the plans. I need to make several cabinets for my sanders/grinders, it would be great to incorporate drawers to hold all of the various sandpapers and sharpening stones.

Thank you,
David

Dennis Faz
01-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Rich,

Plans would be great too! In fact my wife asked me yesterday when I was going to get the planner off the top of the rolling tool chest. I guess it's time to build a stand for my planner and your plan looks great!

Thanks,

Dennis...

Rich Aldrich
01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Attached you should find the planer stand drawing in PDF. I set the height so that the outfeed is just above the table saw - maybe 1/4" high so I can use the tablesaw as an outfeed table. You may want to change the height based on other factors.

Greg Woloshyn
01-24-2010, 5:27 PM
Very nice job, I surely admire your work. I'm a aspiring woodworker and currently working on a router table, but didn't use any common joinery techniques, just screws. I also noticed you have that Ridgid sander, I've been looking at getting one of those once I get the money.

Rich Aldrich
01-24-2010, 6:24 PM
I used a lot of pocket hole screws where I didnt use dadoes. The face frame was put together with pocket hole screws which really speeds things along.

Tony Shea
01-24-2010, 6:55 PM
I like simple design and will probably build a similar one as I'm just moving it back and forth off my bench, very annoying. I get lazy and it usually sits there clustering things up. How about adding some locking casters to it as well? Thanks for the inspiration.

glenn bradley
01-24-2010, 8:41 PM
I did mine on a fliptop with a sanding station on the other surface to save space but I really like yours; much more refined. That DC mod makes me want to look over my DeWalt; it take a hard right just past the cutter-head that I have never liked.

Rich Aldrich
01-24-2010, 9:37 PM
I did mine on a fliptop with a sanding station on the other surface to save space but I really like yours; much more refined. That DC mod makes me want to look over my DeWalt; it take a hard right just past the cutter-head that I have never liked.

I used a rectangular furnace duct (12" x 4" to 6" round, I think) and made an adaptor plate. I think I used a bracket off the hood that came with the planer. I can take pictures of it and show you what I did. Sitting here, I cant remember. It does clamp on like my old one did.