PDA

View Full Version : Finishing my edge on blades (chisels, plane irons, etc.)?

Tony Shea
01-22-2010, 8:33 PM
I have become resently fond of the 3M Micro abrasive scary sharp system. I get great results with it and don't have to worry about keeping my stones flat. My question is about honing the final edge, stroping. I go down to the .3 micron Aluminum Oxide film which is supposedly equal to a 6000 or 12000 grit stone, according to Tools for Working Wood information on it. This produces a very nice clean edge that is smooth as a mirror. Would I gain anything from finishing the edge by stropping on a peice of leather or something similar or is the .3 micron film as good as I'm going to get? I'm very happy with my edge but am just curious if there is a class of sharpness that I'm not seeing due to skipping the leather strop.

Dan Forman
01-23-2010, 3:58 AM
That's about as good as it gets, I wouldn't worry about it. You stand a better chance of rolling the edge over if stropped on leather, than getting it any sharper.

Dan

Myk Rian
01-23-2010, 9:10 AM
The sharper an edge is, the sooner that edge will get dull.

John Keeton
01-23-2010, 9:29 AM
Tony, I agree with Dan and Myk, but will add that I have a block of MDF on my scary sharp board on which I have soaked some mineral oil, and rubbed on some green buffing compound. My last few strokes with the blade in my MKII jig, are on the MDF. It does seem to add a little to the edge with no danger of rounding. I was happy with my edges before adding the MDF, but I "think" I can discern a little difference! It may be a mental thing!:D

The idea came from Dominic Greco, as I recall.

kenneth kayser
01-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I get the best final edge by holding the tool against a buffing wheel with polishing compound. Just a second of contact is all that is needed.

Tony Shea
01-25-2010, 2:04 PM
Once in a while I will take and buff my edge quickly on my buffing wheel that is attached to one side of my grinder. Ideally though a grinder is too high of a speed to be polishing so I really do it in moderation.