PDA

View Full Version : Walnut, cherry, and maple changing table/dresser for my son

Julian Nicks
01-22-2010, 5:03 PM
This is the first piece of furniture I have built for my soon to be born son. I decided to try a bit different style for his bedroom set than I did for my daughters set. I borrowed from the look of some of Sam Maloof’s furniture in his house. I used all locally harvested air dried walnut, cherry, and maple for the dresser. The drawer fronts are cherry and the rest of the drawers are pine, and the majority of the carcass is black walnut. The dovetails are all hand cut. All the sides, top, and dust panels are joined with sliding dovetails that should ensure that this piece will outlast whoever uses it. For the finish I chose my favorite, BLO with a few coats of amber shellac then waxed with my own beeswax finish. I really had fun designing this and can’t wait to get started on the next project for my son(Julian the fifth!).

Bruce Page
01-22-2010, 7:46 PM
Julian, nice cabinet work. I love the contrasting woods, very artsy.

Congrats on your soon to be born son!

Michael Peet
01-22-2010, 8:51 PM
Very interesting piece, Julian. I like how you carried the contrasting wood through the sides and top. The dovetails look sharp too. Nice!

gary Zimmel
01-22-2010, 9:47 PM
An early congrats on your new addition to your family Julian.
Looks like he is going to have one fine bedroom.
What's the next piece to be built for him?

Zach England
01-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I like that mix of woods. It is kind of whimsical, yet brazenly modern.

John Michaels
01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Very well done! I really like the mix of woods and the design.

Hans Braul
01-23-2010, 8:22 AM
Julian,
Just had a browse through the album you posted - you are a very accomplished woodworker! nicely made pieces.
Hans

John Keeton
01-23-2010, 8:57 AM
Julian, some very nice work on that piece. Since the pics are stored off site, I rarely go to those links. I would encourage you to upload them to SMC so they will be there for future viewers. In the event you change your gallery, this post will not mean much without pics.

Julian Nicks
01-23-2010, 9:55 AM
Thank you for all the positive feedback. John I uploaded the images as you asked. Now I need to get started on a plan for the rest of the bedroom furniture. My son's due date is May 14!

John Thompson
01-23-2010, 1:27 PM
Very pleasing piece as it has a Scandavian hint to it.. interesting contrast which I like and an extremely nice job on the DT's...