PDA

View Full Version : Laminated bowl design question

Duff Bement
01-22-2010, 4:43 PM
I need your guys help. A buddy of mine at work wants me to make a bowl for him. It needs to be about 9"x5" out of a combination of hard maple and black walnut. He was thinking that I should glue some boards together and just alternate the color. Then he was wondering if it would look better vertical than horizontal. So here is question!!! Is this not going to look like (you know what)? Just five 1" boards glued one top of the other.
I have never attempted segmented stuff but there has to be a better way to make him a nice looking bowl with alternating colors that not to complicated. I just don't want have him show this to his friends and tell them I made it and have it be something I am not proud of.
Please help.

O yeah the other thing is it needs to have a lid.

Thanks in advance, Duff

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-22-2010, 5:13 PM
Duff, if I were asked to create something as you've described, this might be the style that I would use. It's not that difficult (no math or miter joints). Of course you would have to create two pieces - the base and top. On my website "How To" page, there's a PDF handout that outlines the basic technique (pages 5 & 6)

http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/handout.pdf