PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion re: mixing woods

Jerry Olexa
01-22-2010, 4:08 PM
Currently finishing off an addition to a country home w mostly rustic interior (log look w/ chinking) and T&G carsiding for vaulted ceiling. Much natural wood showing everywhere in lighter tones (pine and fir).
For the new FP, which will be surrounded by the same "log look"wood , I'm toying with building a mantel out of walnut.
My initial instincts were to stay with the same type wood( sealed pine, fir )etc to construct the mantel. But I'm considering breaking the rules and building off-site a more durable walnut mantel which will contrast a lot with most of the interior..,
What do you think. Conventional wisdom aside? Thanks...
This may also qualify as "dumbest Q of the day"...:)

Paul Johnstone
01-22-2010, 4:18 PM
Currently finishing off an addition to a country home w mostly rustic interior (log look w/ chinking) and T&G carsiding for vaulted ceiling. Much natural wood showing everywhere in lighter tones (pine and fir).
For the new FP, which will be surrounded by the same "log look"wood , I'm toying with building a mantel out of walnut.
My initial instincts were to stay with the same type wood( sealed pine, fir )etc to construct the mantel. But I'm considering breaking the rules and building off-site a more durable walnut mantel which will contrast a lot with most of the interior..,

It seems like that's what you want to do. I say go for it. You are doing this to please yourself, not to make the cover of a magazine. Stuff like this is very subjective, IMO. I think it's fine to mix different kinds of wood in the same room.

Peter Quinn
01-22-2010, 4:34 PM
Any chance to get a few small scale samples of walnut in the space and see how the contrast suits you in person? I've seen contrasts I liked in stain grade wood mixing, and others that came off looking like disjointed parts as if it were a wood show room and not a harmonious conception. I wouldn't rule it out out of hand, but neither would I rush to build it without some more design consideration if there are any uncertainties.

Perhaps even a crude MDF sub frame with some walnut boards laid over it to suggest the basic shape put in the space it will occupy might shed light on the decision?

Lee Schierer
01-22-2010, 4:39 PM
Who wrote the rules? I would plane up a couple of walnut boards and mock up a mantle to see how it looks. If it looks good to you and your significant other then do it. It is your house.

Eric DeSilva
01-22-2010, 4:47 PM
There are an awful lot of wood homes that mix species and look fine--I've got a timberframe w/doug fir beams, clear pine T&G for a lot of the walls, and a dark flooring of a completely different species. Cabinets in the kitchen are a honey-stained maple. Looks fine to my eye... If you make everything the same wood, it sort of gets... boring to the eye.

Van Huskey
01-22-2010, 4:56 PM
I prefer contrast, in fact I think it is more of a rule than lack thereof with designers. The walnut will have a good contrast and serve as an accent just like darker colored moldings do in a room. For my eye the walnut would be great.

Mike Cruz
01-22-2010, 7:38 PM
As I was reading through your post (and drooling), I was picturing your beautiful house. When you started talking about the fireplace, knowing the title of the thread, and being a lover of contrast, before I even read what wood you suggested, walnut came to mind. I think it is a natural choice, and it will look stunning.

ken gibbs
01-23-2010, 11:23 AM

I have used walnut as trim to "frame" the mantle and laminated knotty pine for the center. Then I used a pecan stain on the whole mantle before using multiple exterior eurathane coats. This gives you a very pleasing affect that shows off your pine and the walnut edging makes the piece realy stand out. You can use old sugar maple in place of the pine, but I like the knots in the pine to show.

Jerry Olexa
01-23-2010, 2:19 PM
Sounds like most of you are encouraging me to go with the walnut mantel. The idea of a mockup also makes sense.
Walnut finishes so nicely with BLO and a padding of shellac. Thanks for your helpful advice...Like many things in WWing, go with your instincts and taste.Thanks again...I'll send pics later when completed.

Karl Card
01-23-2010, 5:26 PM
one thing about wood working is that you are the artist. Yes there maybe right and wong ways to make a joint but as far as design and coloration etc that part is all yours.

Richard Dragin
01-23-2010, 5:30 PM
First of all I think this thread is a good example of why not to ask a bunch of wood workers for interior design suggestions. For the vast majority of posts on here (mine included) nobody ever comments on what a lovely home that piece is sitting in. Reason is most of us are not interior designers with good taste, we're a bunch of craftsman who know how to build stuff.

Secondly, I think there is a lot to be said for sticking with the overall design of a room when it comes to architectural details. If you want contrast do it with the furniture but nothing that will effect the resale value of the home. It'll stick out like a sore thumb after a while and especially to prospective buyers who probably are not wood workers who can change it.

You must have been drawn to the design of the house since you bought it. Stay true to the original and express your "taste" with the decorating.

Jerry Olexa
01-23-2010, 6:20 PM
Richard, much wisdom in your comments...My concern centered around your 2nd point:

Secondly, I think there is a lot to be said for sticking with the overall design of a room when it comes to architectural details. If you want contrast do it with the furniture but nothing that will effect the resale value of the home. It'll stick out like a sore thumb after a while and especially to prospective buyers who probably are not wood workers who can change it.

I love the look of the hardwoods esp walnut, cherry but in this case, could conflict with the overall "look" of the room esp to a non-WWer. The contrast idea, freedom, etc appeals to me but a practical approach might be better.. Good thoughts. Thanks

Don Bullock
01-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Jerry,
I'm a sucker for mixed woods. When done well it looks outstanding. In your case I can understand all the thoughts on "resale value," but it's your home. If you're not planning to move anytime soon build what you like. Personally I think a walnut mantel in the "right" design would be very appropriate for a home like yours. It would help make the fireplace the focal point of the room. Like others have said, make a mockup of walnut and see what you think before you scrub the idea.

Stephen Edwards
01-24-2010, 1:00 PM
I love building with mixed species and colors. A simple test is to take a piece of scrap, finish it as you would the mantle and see how the colors together.

Just because your mantle may be made of a different species of wood than the other material in your home, doesn't mean that you have to change the overall feel and look of the room in which it resides.

If you've been working with wood for quite some time (seems that you have), forget the designers rules and listen to your instincts. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.