PDA

View Full Version : Finish for poplar bowl

Jake Helmboldt
01-22-2010, 3:59 PM
I've got some poplar crotches that I'm turning for bowls and I'm not sure I want to use a tung or BLO finish due to the yellowing it will impart. I really don't want to mess with lacquer, so are there any other options for a wiping varnish that would be somewhat less darkening? What would blonde shellac look like on poplar?

thanks, Jake

Tony De Masi
01-22-2010, 4:57 PM
Hey Jake, I have some poplar bowls that I made a few years ago and I used a Natural Danish Oil. It kept the greens, purples, and heartwood just as they were. HTH.

Tony

Leo Van Der Loo
01-22-2010, 5:13 PM
I would use Polymerized Tung oil, it yellows the wood the least of the hardening oils.
BTW Danish oil has both BLO and Tung and varnish in it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2010, 8:39 PM
Jake - if the bowl is to be for decorative purposes (not food) - then you also have the option of using a water based poly. It will raise the grain slightly but that can be lightly sanded away. Water based poly dries clear but it is a surface finish and not an oil - so it may not highlight the curl like a good oil based finish would.

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2010, 9:08 PM
I agree that a water base would be a option. Natural Danish oil is the only one I have used that only puts a hint of yellow in the wood.