PDA

View Full Version : Keychains

Shannon McMurrin
01-22-2010, 1:03 PM
I am looking into starting a small laser engraving business, but have an immediate need for keychains that will have to come first. Since i have been lurking in the shaddows for months, I'd like to point this business toward Sawmill members. Is there a seperate place for this, or a tactful way to solicit such work? Thanks

Mike Null
01-22-2010, 1:14 PM
Welcome to SMC. Maybe you could be a little more specific as to what you're looking to do. Certain kinds of ads are prohibited but more detail would be helpful.

Shannon McMurrin
01-22-2010, 1:33 PM
A friend asked me if I knew where she could buy 300 - 500 custom keychains to use as party favors for a huge 40th bday bash. She doesn't know what type of material she wants, only that is will say something like " Corala's 40th birthday 10-08-10 Today IS the day!" She's open for any recommendations, and I'm happy to pass any info along. Thanks!

Dan Hintz
01-22-2010, 1:41 PM
For such a large order, it would probably be significantly less expensive if you went with a company that does business-level promo work, like pens, squish balls, etc. You'll be able to get them screen/pad printed for <$1 keychain.

If you want a high-end look, then something like Cermarked metal keychains is the way to go, but you won't get them for $1/pc.

Dee Gallo
01-22-2010, 2:20 PM
I'd go with Chewbarka's anodized 100 for $30 thing, they are really nice and very easy to engrave. Probably 500 would be even cheaper. They come in all kinds of shapes and colors. The chains are easy to find and they are cheap too.

:) dee

AL Ursich
01-22-2010, 3:07 PM
Go all out.... Do a Sublimated White Tag with HER picture on it and Epoxy Domed....

AL

George Brown
01-22-2010, 5:45 PM
I'd go with Chewbarka's anodized 100 for $30 thing, they are really nice and very easy to engrave. Probably 500 would be even cheaper. They come in all kinds of shapes and colors. The chains are easy to find and they are cheap too.

:) dee

Dee, I could only find GI tags for $50/100? Am I looking at the wrong ones?

Dee Gallo
01-22-2010, 9:20 PM
Dee, I could only find GI tags for $50/100? Am I looking at the wrong ones?

George,

The easiest way to find them without registering for the site is to go to eBay, type in anodized tags, go to any auction, then visit the Chewbarka Store. It's really easy and there you will find all kinds of tags in different shapes, colors and lot combinations. I know they sell them in lots of 10, 25, 100, 500, 1000, etc.

If you want something special, you can email them from the store, and they are very helpful.

I really love anodized: it's classy, modern, clean, easy to engrave and cheap! Plus you can engrave both sides if you want to. The ones in this pic have a yin-yang embossed on the reverse.

For another idea, I've used bamboo placemats for keychain tags. I buy them for say $3-6 each and take them apart, giving me 144 small rectangular pieces for pennies each. I made a jig to hold them from the Corel file I made for the designs. It's a snap to engrave them and they don't need color filling, especially if you get the darker colors. I've gotten them in black, red, dark brown, medium brown, ivory, green and maroon. I even found one made out of jadite, which works really well too.

cheers, dee

Stanley Waldrup
01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
George,

For another idea, I've used bamboo placemats for keychain tags. I buy them for say $3-6 each and take them apart, giving me 144 hundred small rectangular pieces for pennies each. I made a jig to hold them from the Corel file I made for the designs. It's a snap to engrave them and they don't need color filling, especially if you get the darker colors. I've gotten them in black, red, dark brown, medium brown, ivory, green and maroon. I even found one made out of jadite, which works really well too.

cheers, dee

George where do you get the Placemats?
Stanley

Dee Gallo
01-23-2010, 9:38 AM
Stanley

This is Dee - I get the placemats at TJ Maxx. :)

Harlan Kilbourn
01-23-2010, 9:41 AM
Stanley,

The placemats have been available on the web at several merchandise liquidators and I have seen them at TJ Maxx. They have become less available and hard to find.

On the web, they have been called Bamboo Domino placemats.

In quick search, I did not find a good source, but several people have some pieces available on Ebay.

Harlan

Stanley Waldrup
01-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Now I know what to look for....
Stanley

Cassondra Bennett
01-25-2010, 9:48 AM
Stanley

About 2 weeks ago I snatched up a bunch of these placemats at Big Lots they were less than 2 dollars a piece. I etched them and a friend is using them as beads for jewlery. Dee is right they turn out great!!

George Brown
01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
George,

The easiest way to find them without registering for the site is to go to eBay, type in anodized tags, go to any auction, then visit the Chewbarka Store. It's really easy and there you will find all kinds of tags in different shapes, colors and lot combinations. I know they sell them in lots of 10, 25, 100, 500, 1000, etc.

If you want something special, you can email them from the store, and they are very helpful.

I really love anodized: it's classy, modern, clean, easy to engrave and cheap! Plus you can engrave both sides if you want to. The ones in this pic have a yin-yang embossed on the reverse.

For another idea, I've used bamboo placemats for keychain tags. I buy them for say $3-6 each and take them apart, giving me 144 small rectangular pieces for pennies each. I made a jig to hold them from the Corel file I made for the designs. It's a snap to engrave them and they don't need color filling, especially if you get the darker colors. I've gotten them in black, red, dark brown, medium brown, ivory, green and maroon. I even found one made out of jadite, which works really well too.

cheers, dee

They look really very nice, Dee.

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2010, 5:54 PM
For another idea, I've used bamboo placemats for keychain tags.

Dang it Dee,

I am amazed at the things you "see." I go into a store hoping to "see" stuff like that but it still looks like a placemat. :)