PDA

View Full Version : curves and arches.

Keith Christopher
10-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Well I wanted to post a tip here if anyone wants / needs it. seems simple really. But I built this little thing after seeing Dmarks on his show use something similar and let me tell you it takes a bumpy curve and smooths it out so nicely. so simple it's almost a crime. just double stick tape some sand paper (cheaper than adhesive backed SP) and grab the "knobs" for concave put one finger or thumb in the middle but still most presure on the knobs and man from 100 grit to 220grit and wow smooth. The headboard I posted was a little wavy until I hit it with this. :) Oh and I attached a new shot of the HB with all the panels completed.

Dennis Peacock
10-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Very nice headboard and a job well done. BTW, that's a cool idea on marking the arches. I'll have to give that a try next time.

Rich Konopka
10-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Nice !! Real Nice !!

Betsy Yocum
10-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Keith - I used Marks batens in my box class this weekend. They are marvelous tools. Make's getting the sanding marks out of curves, arches, etc. a piece of cake.

It's a great tip and one everyone should use.:D

Betsy

Jerry Olexa
10-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Keith, Great job and good tip on the arch. I.m on a similar project right now. Curious how you did you glue up/clamping?? Irregular shape etc. How did you hold together? Thanks.

Bob Smalser
10-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Nice fairing longboard. Here's some commercial ones from Jamestown Distributors boatbuilder's supply:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/woeimages/00002212.jpg

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/woeimages/00003259.jpg

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/index.asp

Wes Bischel
10-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Keith,
Great idea - never thought about making one - scraps and quick to make too! Now that's my kind of tool!
I've used them in the past for auto body work. The old style (with handles) doesn't cost too much, but the new blocks are really pricey.

Wes

Keith Christopher
10-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Keith, Great job and good tip on the arch. I.m on a similar project right now. Curious how you did you glue up/clamping?? Irregular shape etc. How did you hold together? Thanks.

Jerry,

Well in a previous post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12949
You can see the use of band clamps, the archtop piece is mortise and tenon into the posts. All the panels float (of course) and the bottom rail is mortise and tenon as well. the arch was cut from a straight edge glue up, tenons cut to rough dimensions while it was still straight. Then I cut the arch out from a hardboard template I made. The posts are glueups of 2 pieces of 8/4 maple then cut to 3" square. Made the mortises with my HC mortiser while square, put the chamfers on the posts. The panels are cut to rough shape and used my TS to make the tenons on 2 sides and the mortise on one edge. The top part is cut by hand (see picture, notice chisel and hammer ?) the sanded to fit with a little space for expansion.

if you need any more info or I didn't address your question. Just let me know.

Jason Tuinstra
10-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Keith, I picked this trick up from Mr. Marks as well. I agree with you, it's a big help on curves. Nice job on the headboard as well. It's lookn' real nice!!!

Jerry Olexa
10-20-2004, 1:33 PM
Keith, where did you get your band clamps? The ones I saw yesterday @ local Borg looked flimsy so I passed. Yours looks substantial w some gripping, leverage power. Thanks for your info...

Charlie Plesums
10-20-2004, 2:10 PM
As the resident cheapskate, here is another trick for the curved top of the headboard. The scrap cut from the bottom of the board is the same shape as the top of the headboard, so one board can be used rather than two. This not only saves a lot of wood, but also provides excellent color and grain matching.

Since the top and bottom edges are parallel (even though curved), ordinary clamps will pull it together. I would clamp the center, then work towards the ends with additional clamps.

Keith Christopher
10-20-2004, 7:38 PM
Jerry,

I picked them up from Woodcraft, yes they are beefy, I can crank out some compression with these things. I bought them initally because I needed some and went out to buy 3 more after first use.

Chris Padilla
10-20-2004, 8:16 PM
As the resident cheapskate...
Hmmm, seems I recall you looking into some high-end combo machines from Italy...but I could be wrong.... ;)

Charlie Plesums
10-21-2004, 9:53 AM
Hmmm, seems I recall you looking into some high-end combo machines from Italy...but I could be wrong.... ;)
Maybe that is why I can afford said machine.:) (Off topic update: Still waiting to see the one from Italy:confused: - liked what I saw in the one from Austria at Markus Shaffer's shop;), but the one from Italy is cheaper, so I gotta see it!)