PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt router not good anymore, what to repace it with?

mreza Salav
01-22-2010, 1:56 AM
In the middle of a project, my Dewalt 2.25"HP router (DW618b3) started to making strange noises and behaving as it is going to die soon. Dropped it off at a factory service center and they say it can cost up to $163 to repair and up to 2 weeks!! http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/smilies/eek.gif It appears bearings, magnetic ring, and a part for VS has to be replaced.
Mind you, this is only 3 years old and has seen less than a handfull of projects.
It was a great router (fixed base in the table, D-handle for hand-held routing and I liked the dust collection on the plunge baser) until it broke!

So I have started looking into buying a 2nd router. I have narrowed down my search to:

- Bosch 1617 pack
- PC 895pk
- Makita 2.25HP

I liked the incorporated dust collection on PC and it seemed similar to the
dewalt but I hear many people have complained about it. on the plus side, it comes with 3yr warranty.

Bosch looks very smooth and well received (I wish they had a spindle lock so you could change bits with one wrench only).

What would you guys suggest?
In particular, I'd like to hear from those who have had any of them and found problems with them or won't buy them again.

Frank Martin
01-22-2010, 2:31 AM
I don't have one, but Milwaukee set is generally well received. My favorite router is Dewalt 621, it is a dedicated plunger with through the column dust collection. You will very likely get some recommendations for Festool as well, but they are in a higher price range as you may already be aware of.

Mike Heidrick
01-22-2010, 3:25 AM
I have a thread over at Woodnet where we are discussing fixing this issue. Seems that magnet needs replaced and its pretty easy I guess with a gear puller (most auto parts stores will loan you one). head over to woodnet and serch on posts by bloomingtonmike.

Mike Heidrick
01-22-2010, 3:27 AM
If you want to dump it I will pay shipping to my shop in IL.

Mike Rees
01-22-2010, 9:39 AM
+1

I'm in the market for my first router - I was considering the DeWalt and Bosch - wasn't really considering the PC as I understand it to be lesser in quality than the DeWalt? I had never even thought of the Milwaukee as most of what I have read about Milwaukee has been negative (at least in the cordless category).

glenn bradley
01-22-2010, 9:48 AM
Darn those Milwaukee routers; when are they going to cheapen up their quality so someone else can be top dog for awhile? ;-)

+1 on the 5616. After I took my new DeWalt back for quality issues and got my first Milwaukee . . . well, I think I have 5 now, . . . four for sure. Interestingly (but not surprising for those guys in my experience) Fine WWing magazine just dogged the 5615-24 in a review. A while back they couldn't say enough good about it. Darn advertisers ;-) My experience has been nothing but good so, of course, I favor them.

Paul Greathouse
01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Glenn's right, Milwaukee definately got it right when they came out with their most recent line of routers. I have been useing the older PC's, Dewalt dedicated plungers and Freud fixed base routers. I just recently got the 1 3/4 hp Milwaukee, it is a great little router. As I understand it the two larger versions are just as good. If only they had built in dust control.

Mreza, did you consider trying to find just the replacement motor for the Dewalt. Since you already have all the bases that may be the way to go. You could have just got a bad one the first time around. I have heard alot of good comments on the Dewalt combo by people who use them often. Jim Becker for one.

Even if you do get a different brand, you can often pick up the the 1 3/4 hp Dewalts with a fixed base for close to $100 on Ebay. I think they would fit your existing bases that your 2 1/4 hp used. That would give you a second router with a good choice of bases.

Mike Rees
01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
What factors into the decision of going from 1.75HP to 2.25HP?

Cliff Holmes
01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
You might want to check out Triton, they've always gotten good reviews.

Paul Greathouse
01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Mike, the only jobs you would need a router larger than 1 3/4 hp for is to turn larger router bits and those are most often used in a router table (rail and stile, raised panel, ect). Also if your going to be running 3/4" dados the larger router would be a benefit but not a necessity.

I use 1 3/4 hp routers exclusively for edge work and on the dovetail jig. I have 2 1/4 hp routers in a table for my rail and stile set. All of my handheld work is done with 1 3/4 hp routers whether fixed base or plunge. I do have a 3 1/4 hp dewalt plunge for really heavy dado work but it doesn't see much use.

I really like my new Milwaukee but if you need a really good dedicated plunge router for handheld work with dust collection the Dewalt 621 is a great choice. Its rated at 11 amps which I believe is 1 3/4hp.

Mike Rees
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
I just want to edge some coffee/end tables I plan on making. The same for bookshelves (pocket hole joined), etc. Thanks for the advice.

mreza Salav
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
The dewalt is getting fixed at the service center and I'll take it back.
But if it dies a second time I'm not sure it is worth fixing.
It was really good to have the 3 bases and everything was working fine until...

I am not impressed by Triton and have heard enough bad stories that would not buy one.

Milwaukee gets very good reviews. Problem is the regular tool store here don't carry it. So either have to go to HD to see if they have it (arghh!) or buy it online.

Jay Allen
01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
+1 for the Milwaukee. I have two of them and they are great. I use them in a commercial cabinet shop on a regular basis. They are well though-out all of the way through. The wrenches are solid forgings, not stamped sheet metal and the storage case is great too.

I also have a Triton in my router table, it is teriffic too, but I wouldn't want it to be my only router. It would be so great as a hand-held.

Mike Rees
01-22-2010, 12:21 PM
The Milwaukee 5615-24 1.75 kit w/ plunge looks like a good deal at 141 on Amazon. That and the 5 year warranty. I may have found my first router.