PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw ideas?

Joe Shinall
01-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Hey everybody, I just recently started woodworking, maybe about a year or 2 ago. Starting to get more and more advanced and have been upgrading all my equipment. Got my Unisaw (new for $1200), Grizzly 15" planer (USED FOR $400), and Grizzly 8 " jointer(used for $400). All for great prices.

The one thing I have not been able to find used or even new at a good price is a bandsaw. I don't want a small open stand bandsaw that I would just have to upgrade later. So what is everyone's opinion on a good bandsaw under $1000? The more capacity the better, I dont think I will ever need to resaw anything 12" or more, but you know how that always works out. i also thought my $100 craftsman table saw would be good for a few years and it lasted 6 months before I outgrew it. I've been looking at Rikon or Grizzly, but don't know much about the quality. I have a Rikon radial floor drill press and it works great, so I guess the quality is good, but its also the only drill press I've ever owned so I am biased towards it. Any suggestions?

Van Huskey
01-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Woodcraft has the Rikon 18" going on sale for 999 next month, they are supposed to have a 10% off Rikon sale sometime later in the month but I was told I could get both prices as a presell starting sometime late next week. If you have one local I would take a serious look at it. It is a LOT of saw for that price.

brian platt
01-22-2010, 1:54 AM
I'd agree the Rikon 18" would be a great deal for under $1000. I've not used it, but it looks to be a very solid saw and has gotten good reviews. I would stay away from the Jet 18", I found the frame and motor not strong to resaw 10"-12" ( 1.5 hp model). If you think you want to resaw 8"-12", I would go for at least a 2 hp motor.

The Grizzly G0513 is also an option. The wheels are a bit light, but the 2hp motor will let you resaw larger pieces. Their G0514 jumps to 3 hp and a heavier machine, but the price jumps quite a bit also.

Depending on your time frame and where you're located, used is still a good option. I was patient and found a used(but nearly new) Minimax MM16 for $1k on CL. But I looked for months to the right one to come along. But I would stay in the 16"-18" range if you want a long term machine, especially for resaw. The 14" machines are not large enough & heavy enough in my opinion. They work great as a 2nd machine to keep a small blade on for curved work. Good luck.

Van Huskey
01-22-2010, 5:00 AM
I'd agree the Rikon 18" would be a great deal for under $1000. I've not used it, but it looks to be a very solid saw and has gotten good reviews. I would stay away from the Jet 18", I found the frame and motor not strong to resaw 10"-12" ( 1.5 hp model). If you think you want to resaw 8"-12", I would go for at least a 2 hp motor.

The Grizzly G0513 is also an option. The wheels are a bit light, but the 2hp motor will let you resaw larger pieces. Their G0514 jumps to 3 hp and a heavier machine, but the price jumps quite a bit also.

Depending on your time frame and where you're located, used is still a good option. I was patient and found a used(but nearly new) Minimax MM16 for $1k on CL. But I looked for months to the right one to come along. But I would stay in the 16"-18" range if you want a long term machine, especially for resaw. The 14" machines are not large enough & heavy enough in my opinion. They work great as a 2nd machine to keep a small blade on for curved work. Good luck.

The new Jet 18" saws come with more grunt and a redesigned triangular frame, 1 3/4 hp on the cheaper saw but for $100 more you get a full 3hp and is my saw of choice at under $1500 if you need an 18in throat BUT that is with the Rikon at its normal $1300 at under $1000 the Rikon definately gets the edge except it does not take a 1/8" blade, and although people look at me funny I use a 1/8" a lot and don't want to keep 2 saws.

I would not make a blanket 14" statement since you shouldn't forget the Laguna saws. The 14" SUV has a full 14" resaw and with a 3hp Leeson it will out resaw a lot of much deeper throated saws.

Mike Cruz
01-22-2010, 9:37 AM
Here's a quick thought. IF you have $1000, AND you have the space, I would highly recomment getting a 14" AND a larger (17" or 18"). The reason is that they have much different uses. Not that the larger ones can't do what the smaller ones can do, but the big ones are great for resawing. The 14's can do it but are great for curves and detail.

You should be able to find a new (great sale) or used 14" for $200- $250. And a large one for $750 to $800.

Another huge advantage to this system is not having to change blades by having dedicated saws.

Do you HAVE to do it? Absolutely not. But if you have the $ and the space, it saves you a lot of time and frustration. By frustration, I mean that if you have a 1/4" blade on, and need to do some resawing, you might put the resawing off for a WHILE until other resawing needs to be done because blade changing is a pain. Not "hard", but time consuming.

BTW, I have a Ridgid 14" that I made my own base for, so it is much sturdier. And an old 18" Grizzly.

Steve Kohn
01-22-2010, 1:40 PM
Here's a quick thought. IF you have $1000, AND you have the space, I would highly recomment getting a 14" AND a larger (17" or 18"). The reason is that they have much different uses. Not that the larger ones can't do what the smaller ones can do, but the big ones are great for resawing. The 14's can do it but are great for curves and detail.

You should be able to find a new (great sale) or used 14" for $200- $250. And a large one for $750 to $800.

Another huge advantage to this system is not having to change blades by having dedicated saws.

Do you HAVE to do it? Absolutely not. But if you have the $ and the space, it saves you a lot of time and frustration. By frustration, I mean that if you have a 1/4" blade on, and need to do some resawing, you might put the resawing off for a WHILE until other resawing needs to be done because blade changing is a pain. Not "hard", but time consuming.

BTW, I have a Ridgid 14" that I made my own base for, so it is much sturdier. And an old 18" Grizzly.

I also have 2 bandsaws. I first bought the Grizz G0514. I use it primarily for resawing with a woodslicer blade. It was so time consuming to change out blades I bought at Delta Shopmaster 9 inch benchtop machine for $100. That little saw meets most of my flatwork requirements. Since it is a benchtop saw it also can be stored easily out of the way.

Jeff Willard
01-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I would not make a blanket 14" statement since you shouldn't forget the Laguna saws. The 14" SUV has a full 14" resaw and with a 3hp Leeson it will out resaw a lot of much deeper throated saws.

Here's some sipo I just sliced this evening. 57"x10-1/4"x9/64". Laguna LT14 SUV-Lenox TriMaster. Each slice took about 12 minutes.

Joe Shinall
01-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys, I was looking at the Rikon 18". Just wanted to get some feedback on it and now that I've had time to read through other posts about bandsaws, I believe that is the one I will go with. I would like to have 2, a smaller and a larger. But only working with a 17x17 shop right now and with the unisaw, planer and jointer all being massive, I'm extremely limited on the space. Everything goes on a mobile base and gets put wherever I can roll it :(