PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Grizzly Jointer

DanW Miller
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Picked up a used 12" G9860 Grizzly jointer. Gee whiz it's noisy without even running material through it. Almost scary. The bearings seem to be OK and turn easily. So I'm not sure if this is normal for Grizzly. I've used 16" SCMI and other industrial machines that don't make half the noise. Anyone have experience with Grizzly.

george wilson
01-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Is the belt too loose? More info needed on exactly the type of noise.My Bridgewood's belt was too long,and the motor was touching the bottom of its mount on sheetmetal. Rattled a lot,but not hard to diagnose.

Josiah Bartlett
01-22-2010, 4:01 AM
What kind of noise is it making? It is normal for a jointer or planer to sound kind of like a raspy siren even when unloaded, but if it makes a lot of rattling sound it is dangerous. It is just the nature of air whooshing past the cutter head as the blades fly in and out of the slipstream around the cutter head.

DanW Miller
01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
belts are OK

DanW Miller
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
What kind of noise is it making? It is normal for a jointer or planer to sound kind of like a raspy siren even when unloaded, but if it makes a lot of rattling sound it is dangerous. It is just the nature of air whooshing past the cutter head as the blades fly in and out of the slipstream around the cutter head.

Hmmm..what kind of noise? Well no rattle or grinding noise which would point me to something loose or to bad bearings. I don't know how else to describe it. I guess I could say it doesn't sound like quality if you know what I mean. However I got it cheap so I can live with it until I win the lottery. Maybe I got spoiled using nicer machines.