PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new chuck to correct my drill press runout?

Tri Hoang
01-21-2010, 10:25 PM
The runout isn't much. It's about 10 thous. I measured it using a couple of 1/2" router bit shanks. The runout at the body of the chuck is about 1-2 thous. So I think it's the jaws that have problems. I tried cleaning the jaws but it did not make any difference. I am tempted to just try filing the jaws...not sure about a proper way to do it, though.

10 thous runout isn't a problem most of the time for me. However, when coupled with a slight runout on the bits, it adds up and caused problems in a few times I need to be precise.

Any suggestion?

glenn bradley
01-21-2010, 10:31 PM
I had unacceptable run out on my DP when I first got it. Recommendation was to remove the chuck, clean the taper and the receiver hole and tap it back on. I had nothing to lose, so I tried it; even though everything looked clean, it worked(?). Since then I picked up a keyless chuck and a second taper. It went on without a hitch but I did clean everything very well before assembly.

Karl Card
01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
that is good info to know. I have a really big old bench drill press that i could not get to drill straight but i used the same chuck on a floor drill press and it drill absolutely great. but i did notice a bunch of build up on the bench dp. I have 25 dollars in the both of them so I may just get the bench dp a clean up and see if i can easily get it to drill straight. I am not real big on HF electric tools but this floor dp i have is wonderful..

Tri Hoang
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
As I mentioned in my original post, everything is fine (less than 2 thous) down until the very tip of the chuck...so cleaning everything above that point don't really seem to make sense.

george wilson
01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I always put Jacobs chucks on import drill presses,even the new Delta. It did not run true,and had rounded jaws,so the big drills would always slip and scar up the drill shanks.