PDA

View Full Version : Setup for Irregular Mesquite Shell??????????

Thomas Canfield
01-21-2010, 8:58 PM
This shows the steps to mount and turn the irregular 3 fork mesquite tree trunk section. It weighed 43 # when first mounted, 32" after turning outside, and now just a little under 5# as finished.

1. shows drilling with 2 3/4" Forstner bit for 2 1/2" faceplate used with extension on drive. Bottom was shimmed up to get correct (?) orientation.

2/3. shows the 8"+ radius of outer trunk

4. shows outside turned and tenon on bottom for chuck.

5. shows chunk mounted in chuck on chuck/faceplate stand prior to installing on drive. Live center used in tailstock for all major interior turning.

I'll add additional pictures of interior work.

Thomas Canfield
01-21-2010, 9:24 PM
The interior was all done between center using a chuck on tenon on the bottom and live center in the previous face place center. The live center moved during the interior work due to bark and sapwood, and a solid block was glued in place.

1/2. show mounted prior to block addition

3. shows block addition, column in middle and interior removal in progress

4. shows hollowing progress - no problem checking wall thickness

5. shows moving to outside and angle grinder, sander working on interior removal and finishing.

6. shows almost finish sanding - now to hand sanding and buff with tripoli. Chuck is held with Trent Bosch stand - works great.

Again final piece is 13" dia x 11" H and nominal 1/4" wall. Epoxy and instant coffee was used to fill some cracks and bark voids. I wanted to keep as much sapwood (yellow), bark (dark brown), and the heartwood contrast that I could. I am not a carver so left the top pretty much where it ended up and just rounded off the sharp corners.

Greg Ketell
01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Beautiful piece. Thanks for showing how it is done!

David E Keller
01-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Love seeing the process. Thanks for posting

Baxter Smith
01-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for taking the pictures and posting. I like seeing how things are done!

Mac Carlton
01-22-2010, 2:39 AM
great work, also like your mustard!

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2010, 9:23 AM
Thomas - thanks for sharing the process! Definitely one of those turnings that you have to think through all the different steps to completion! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Good looking piece and thanks for sharing the process.

Dennis Ford
01-22-2010, 9:51 PM
Good job on that mesquite! It will look great when finished. I am impressed that you could remember to stop and take the pictures.

Bill Bolen
01-22-2010, 10:23 PM
You've made a very daunting process look managable! Thanks for the great photo's and a most interesting read...Bill...