PDA

View Full Version : New Turner's 1st Bowl - with help

Thomas Canfield
01-21-2010, 8:21 PM
My granddaughte turned 8 recently and has settled down to point of maybe working with me in the shop. This is her (our) first attempt at a bowl and she was pretty patient with me. It is 2" diam x 1" and about 1/8" max tk Sweet Gum (my writing) and her initials and date she engraved but are hard to see. Poly/oil mix finish and wax.

David E Keller
01-21-2010, 8:24 PM
Fantastic! Beautiful bowl by a lovely girl... She and her grandpa must be proud.

Ron Bontz
01-21-2010, 8:31 PM
That's just too cool.:)

John Keeton
01-21-2010, 8:41 PM
She certainly looks pleased as punch with her bowl!! Bet that made PawPaw proud!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2010, 8:43 PM
PawPaw....it doesn't get any better than that! Tell her she did a bangup job for a first bowl!

Congrats to both of you!

Sean Hughto
01-21-2010, 9:15 PM
Great! Great photos too. A priceless memory.

Syd Lorandeau
01-21-2010, 9:19 PM
I got my grandson down to the lathe as part of his scout merit badge. He needed to make a rolling pin for his badge. I did not believe what he turned out, roller was better than I could, the handles are another story, but the main point is he is now asking what we should do next. What is better in life????
Syd

Baxter Smith
01-21-2010, 9:20 PM
Only the beginning!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-21-2010, 9:27 PM
My granddaughte turned 8 recently and has settled down to point of maybe working with me in the shop. This is her (our) first attempt at a bowl and she was pretty patient with me. It is 2" diam x 1" and about 1/8" max tk Sweet Gum (my writing) and her initials and date she engraved but are hard to see. Poly/oil mix finish and wax.

Thanks for posting Thomas, if this doesn't bring a smile to every person that has a look at these pictures, nothing would.
Yes live is grand if you can have experiences like this :D :D :D

Allen Neighbors
01-21-2010, 9:54 PM
Congratulations, Thomas!! You got some good training, and were blessed by your Granddaughter being there. :D She made a nice little bowl, and made Granddad proud!! Life's blessings... priceless. :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Thomas that is precious. What a wonderful memory. She looks she is ready to bust with that bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Thomas - thanks for sharing! Nice little bowl - but her face says it all! Congrats on creating memories that will last a lifetime! Great series of photos!

Steve Mawson
01-22-2010, 12:31 AM
I can only hope my grand daughter can do so good. Probably have to wait a little, she just turned 3. Big Congrats.

Sid Matheny
01-22-2010, 12:56 AM
That is just wonderful Thomas!!!

Sid

Thomas Canfield
01-22-2010, 1:03 AM
Thanks for comments. Glad everyone can enjoy the thrill also. The bowl is turned using the PSI expanding collet chuck after turning the outside on a screw chuck and making a 1/16" or so recess with Bedan tool. I bought a Don Thompson 1/4" detail gouge, made a short handle, and then grind to a bowl grind to turn the inside of the small bowl. We will have to try again in the future and have her do more of the turning with less of my help. She could do a lot of the sanding.

Rob Cunningham
01-22-2010, 9:00 AM
Fantastic pictures Thomas. Nice looking bowl and she looks so happy. Great memories.

Roger Bullock
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
lath $$$$ tools $$$ memories for granddaughter and grandpa .......priceless
Thanks for sharing, those pictures say it all.