PDA

View Full Version : Prl-v2

Paul Stroik
01-21-2010, 8:16 PM
A lot of questions here but I am just a couple of days away from purchasing the PRL-V2 and Milwaukee 5625 for my router cabinet setup.

While researching I found two versions of the PRL-V2 at different sites. The one at the Woodpecker site has the rotating locking reducing rings while several other sites are showing the PRL-V2 with the magnetic (Magna-Lock) reducing rings. I was not aware there were two versions!

Is this just provided so consumers have a choice? Or, is one an older style?

And which would be better?

While we are on this topic has anyone experienced any problems with dust affecting the controls of the PRL-V2. Such as the micro adjust wheel or lift mechanism?

Jeff Nolan
01-21-2010, 8:40 PM
I have the original PRL, the locking rings work fine... but I would imagine that the magnetic rings would be more convenient. Not sure it matters in the final equation.

I had some problems with the 32 tpi version getting jammed up, but that was probably 5 years ago and the company replaced it with the 16 tpi version and no problems since. Woodpeckers really takes care of their customers, like Whiteside, you just call 'em up with an issue and they fix it for you.

Lastly, I think it's tough to beat the PC 7518 router motor in this lift, I couldn't imagine using anything but with a PRL.

Jim O'Dell
01-21-2010, 8:52 PM
I have the old style too, but I really like the V2. I think the magnetic insert lift is the one that Incra sells. And it seems like someone else has a version of it also. I also have the twist type rings, and they work fine. I do understand that Woodpecker quit making the rings in aluminum. Wish I had been able to purchase a full set before they quit making them. I think the current ones are phenolic. Of course the Incra ones will be steel. ;) Jim.

Alan Bienlein
01-21-2010, 9:03 PM
As far as I can tell Jim Woodcraft still sells the aluminum ones. I just picked mine up from Woodcraft 2 weeks ago and they still have a set on the shelf.

Paul Stroik
01-21-2010, 9:14 PM
Thanks for the info.
After reading these threads I went to the Incra site (don't know why I didn't check there before). Not only is the PRL-V2 $30 cheaper at Incra but it also includes five metal reducing rings versus Woodpeckers three.

Hmmmm, Now I to decide whether to go with the Magnalock or the twist reducing rings!!:rolleyes:

Mike Goetzke
01-21-2010, 9:27 PM
First note Woodpecker's just put the PRL-V2 on sale today - use code PRL30 to save $30.

I've had mine with a 5625 for I'm guessing a little over a year now and still really like it. I had a Quick Lift before this one and had the twist-lock rings and never had an issue. I once called Incra about their version and they claimed on some occasions the twist lock rings can be proud of the table and their design stays flat. I have never had this problem.

One warning. I most cases you can get away w/o tightening down the lock screw next to the thumb wheel adjuster but I found out if you run large diameter bits the increased vibration can cause the lift to move downward. I have now gotten into the habit of locking it down all of the time. No biggie but I'm a little disappointed since I thought of it as a tool-less fine adjustment.

Mike

Paul Stroik
01-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks Mike, How did you hear about Woodpeckers having a sale. I'm signed up with them for email notifications and have not received anything on it.:confused:
I think I may give them a try. Haven't heard any negatives about the reducing rings staying flat from others who own them.

glenn bradley
01-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I got the email too. About 3:40pm PST. Make sure your not accidentally blocking them. One of the selling points of the aluminum rings and their phenolic cousins was that they would not damage a bit if accidentally struck. I guess that makes sense but I have changed a lot of bits and rings (I have the full aluminum set) and never had an issue. That is; if they were steel and magnetic, I have not done anything that would have been a problem. HTH.

P.s. I have the PRL-v1 16tpi with a 5625. I'd buy both again in a heartbeat.

tyler mckenzie
01-22-2010, 2:56 AM
I came close to to purchasing the incra prl v2. The Incra's motor carriage in the photos looked beefier then the other prl v2 options. I emailed Incra but was told theirs actually used the lighter extruded aluminum motor carriage. I was disappointed.

I decided to go with bench dogs discontinued 40-016. It's a no frills, no gimmicks, heavy lift.

Mike Goetzke
01-22-2010, 9:07 AM
I came close to to purchasing the incra prl v2. The Incra's motor carriage in the photos looked beefier then the other prl v2 options. I emailed Incra but was told theirs actually used the lighter extruded aluminum motor carriage. I was disappointed.

I think what you are seeing is, from what I was told, that the first run carriages were made from a solid billet. Now that volumes are up they invested in an aluminum extrusion die.

tyler mckenzie
01-22-2010, 4:03 PM
I think what you are seeing is, from what I was told, that the first run carriages were made from a solid billet. Now that volumes are up they invested in an aluminum extrusion die.

The extrusion looks a lot lighter then the original billet. Its seems like all the router lift companys are reducing their build quality; Bench Dog included.

don kellog
01-22-2010, 4:55 PM
I have been comparing these two as well and am leaning towards the Incra version. I believe the inserts are metal instead of plastic. Also, if you sign up for their website I believe you receive a discount code which will make it a better value than the Woodpecker original.

Paul Stroik
01-22-2010, 5:04 PM
Well I hope Woodpeckers hasn't reduced their quality because I just ordered the PRL-V2. Had enough with the kneeling down, unlocking, knob turning (fighting) and then repeat for a 1/32" adjustment.
Now, if I could just afford another one so I wouldn't have to change bits when doing rail and stiles.:rolleyes: