PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielson #2 and Lee Valley #4 deal or not?

Tony Shea
01-21-2010, 8:05 PM
I am looking at buying a couple planes that are in some classifieds in my area. I'm no expert at planes but dable a bit with my older Stanley's (#5 and #7 jointer). I have been eyeballing a #4 L.N. or L.V. for a long time but just haven't been willing to pay the brand new price. The guy has a Lei Neilson #2 bronze bench plane listed for $165 and a Lee Valley Veritas #4 bench plane for $100. I think I might be able to finagle a bit off the price but am not sure how much. They both have been used at a maximum of a dozen times and supposedly been very well taken care of.

Would either of the planes, especially the LV #4 be worth the asking price if in the stated condition? This seems as though it would be a great opportunity to get a couple good quality planes.

Bruce Page
01-21-2010, 8:26 PM
I'm no expert by any stretch but those are pretty good prices. It just depends on the type of work you do.
I'd probably grab the #2 if it was in decent condition.

Josh Rudolph
01-21-2010, 9:26 PM
Those prices sound pretty darn good to me. 2 quality planes for a song. If they didn't work out, I guarantee you could get your money back out of them. You can't go wrong with the LN or LV in my opinion.

I would buy both without hesitation.

Josh

Callan Campbell
01-21-2010, 9:53 PM
Yessssssssssssss. How's that for an answer. I own both of those planes, you'll either be spoiled for life now and want more from either tool company, or you'll easily sell them to someone who also really wants them. At those prices, 'you done good boy'. Now go get those planes before one of us outbids you:D:D

Jim Koepke
01-22-2010, 1:25 AM
I wouldn't try too hard to talk him down other than to ask if you take both will you knock it down to $250?

I have a Stanley/Bailey #2 that gets a fair share of use on small pieces.

#4s just seem to multiply or I find them cheap all the time, just picked up a type 10 that needs some TLC & parts for $10. It has the knob and handle in great shape. The frog and base could be tossed in the recycle bin and the knob and tote sold to double my money. That won't happen.

jim

David Gendron
01-22-2010, 1:32 AM
i would go for them! and like others said just buy them and resale them to people that realy want(read need here) Them if they don,t do any good for you!! You can PM me when you have them for sale;)

Zach England
01-22-2010, 9:07 AM
I think the Veritas no. 4 is funny looking.

Dan Sink
01-22-2010, 3:00 PM
Those are terrible deals. If I were you I wouldn't even call the guy and I'd just keep looking.

Now, what paper did you say you saw those classifieds in?;)

Tony Shea
01-22-2010, 4:05 PM
Those are terrible deals. If I were you I wouldn't even call the guy and I'd just keep looking.

Now, what paper did you say you saw those classifieds in?;)

Hence why I just said classifieds! I honestly knew that was a good deal but wanted some verification is all as I am fairly new to planes but have always wanted to get into using them a lot more. Thanks for the reassurance. I have a meeting set up for tomorrow to chem 'em out and will most likely be leaving with them.

Matt Stiegler
01-22-2010, 5:09 PM
Tony, I agree with everything others have said. But most folks would consider a #2 pretty far down the list in terms of planes to start out with. That's not a reason not to get it at that price -- as others have correctly said, you could flip it for a profit in an instant if you want to do that. But if your tool budget is limited, you might reasonably choose to have that $165 tied up in a different plane (an adjustable mouth low angle block would be the standard suggestion, I believe). Congratulations on finding a great deal, regardless what you end up deciding to do.