PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new jig saw

Marty Paulus
01-21-2010, 7:58 PM
So I am walking through my local orange BORG and see they have the Rigid jig saw on clearance (my local never has the good stuff on clearance like a table saw or jointer). I have been kicking around getting a new saw as all I currently have is a cheap B&D version. Does anyone have the Rigid saw and how do you like it. I noticed that is seemed heavy to me but that cheap B&D was light. I don't have any Rigid tools other then a bore scope I bought on a clearance and a sump pump (love the lifetime warranty) and I am curious as to the quality of the brand and if it is worth the $80 on clearance.

Thanks for the help.

Van Huskey
01-21-2010, 8:02 PM
My .02 is to bite the bullet or wait and get the Bosch 1590EVSK, more money but a much cleaner cutting saw with the ZCI, as close to a Festoll as I have seen.

Callan Campbell
01-21-2010, 8:13 PM
Marty, I own the older barrel grip Bosch jigsaw,[ bought it when they first came out around here] I wouldn't trade it even for the new Festool saws. I tried them at my local dealer, the motor/barrel body is larger than my old Bosch, doesn't really fit my hand at all. That really suprised me, first Festool that didn't work for me on an ergonomic level. The motor is probably bigger for more power, so fatter as a result.
What grip do you like, motor/barrel or top mount? Check out blade support systems on any of the jigsaws you're looking at, better ones really keep the blade where you want it, and prevent breakage of the blade too. The Rigid's price sounds good though.

Brice Burrell
01-21-2010, 8:45 PM
My .02 is to bite the bullet or wait and get the Bosch 1590EVSK, more money but a much cleaner cutting saw with the ZCI, as close to a Festoll as I have seen.

I agree, the Bosch is an outstanding jigsaw. Amazon has them for $145 free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1590EVSK-6-4-Handle-Jigsaw/dp/B0001X21RG

Mac McQuinn
01-21-2010, 8:53 PM
I have a 2 week old Bosch 1591 Barrel grip and really like it, took me a couple days to get use to the barrel grip although now i wonder why all jig saws aren't made this way. Made in Switzerland:), good warranty & very smooth.

Mac

glenn bradley
01-21-2010, 9:02 PM
+1 on the Bosch (I know, it gets tiring ;-). I went with the barrel grip but that is a personal preference. Smoothest, cleanest cutting jigsaw I have ever tested and now own.

Chris Tsutsui
01-21-2010, 9:09 PM
Make sure th Rigid is not the rechargeable battery one, since you may need to find batteries for it.

I know it doesn't go on sale, but +1 on the Bosch. My contractor friend actually likes it over the Festool version. Just make sure it has the right bit, and it will do what it's supposed to.

I have two Boschs, and a B&D.

The B&D broke after only 10 hours of use. It was only $20 from Target though so not exactly the good model...

Also be careful with clearance items in general since sometimes those items are being discontinued or closed out because they were junk.

Marty Paulus
01-21-2010, 9:16 PM
The Rigid model is corded. Some tools just need a cord. :p I believe the Rigid is orbital capable. How important is that feature? Again I am using the $20 B&D as a comparison so I am not really sure what this saw should/would be capable of.

Brandon Weiss
01-21-2010, 9:23 PM
Another vote for the barrel grip Bosch. I have had it for a bout a month. Absolutely love it. Amazon has it 159 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1591EVSK-Barrel-Grip-Jigsaw/dp/B00067J3WS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264123828&sr=1-2

steven sherman
01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I have the Ridgid jigsaw. While not as good as the bosch, i think that for $79 you cant go wrong. I like it very much.

Rick Moyer
01-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I would not even consider a jigsaw other than Bosch. OK, I haven't used a Festool, and I suppose the Milwaukee is good, but I have been so pleased with my Bosch, if it wears out (doubtful) I'd definitely get another one. I don't say that about very many tools. Bosch is the $&!# when it comse to jigsaws!
Sorry, I guess that didn't really answer your question.

Paul Greathouse
01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Another +1 for Bosch. Whether your preference is top handle or barrell grip you can't go wrong. They are the gold standard that everyone else is trying to match. I've never used a Fesstool either but I can't imagine ever needing anything better than my Bosch 1590.

Lee Schierer
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Buy the Bosch Marty. You will not regret it. Check the shelves in any store selling saws. The majority of blades regardless of brand feature the Bosch T-grip style blades. With the Bosch jig saw and progressor type blades you can get splinter free cuts in plywood and crosscuts that rival table saw cut quality. I own a barrel grip and if it ever dies, I will quickly purchase another. My SIL has the Rigid jig saw and it will make you hand numb after 10 minutes of cutting. The Bosch is quieter and smoother cutting.

Jay Allen
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
One more for Bosch, but I prefer the handle top model. I have had two of them over the years, one was destroyed in a fire, but it was quickly replaced with another Bosch.
I do have a cordless Makita that I like very much, but it's not "better" just cordless. There are times when this is very handy, but if something happened to it, I doubt if I would pay that price again.

Sean Nagle
01-23-2010, 4:35 PM
Bosch top-handle. Great saw.

Jerry Olexa
01-23-2010, 4:51 PM
Bosch IMHO

Casey Gooding
01-23-2010, 9:14 PM
Count me in the Bosch party, as well. You really can't go wrong with any of their models.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-23-2010, 9:31 PM
Bosch top handle. I've used the barrel grip a lot, as we had a bunch in the shop I worked at, but I prefer my top handle. Bosch jigsaws last forever.