PDA

View Full Version : First posting.....

Michael Jasani
01-21-2010, 7:27 PM
Hi,

Though I bought a Jet JWL1236 lathe in '07 I was able to do some turning only around Sept '09 and only then did I realize how much pleasure I had missed for the last couple of years!!!

Folks, I am attaching a few pics of my work (some completed and others work-in-process , I have yet to make the finials), I would really appreciate all advise and comments from all you experienced folks! Hope you will excuse the picture quality as I am still a rookie photographer!

Thanks for your time and knowledge

Michael

Joe Adams
01-21-2010, 7:38 PM
Nice forms and great looking wood! I am new to turning as well and have the same lathe.

Hilel Salomon
01-21-2010, 7:39 PM
Those are really nice. How long have you been turning????? They look awfully good!
Regards, Hilel.

Sid Matheny
01-21-2010, 7:54 PM
Wow great looking pieces and welcome to the creek.

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2010, 8:03 PM
Welcome to SMC. Really nice looking pieces. You might give a little more info on finish and size. Those are really well done.

Donny Lawson
01-21-2010, 8:26 PM
That makes me drool all over.Those are very nice.Makes me wish I had my chuck so I can learn to turn.
Donny

John Keeton
01-21-2010, 8:34 PM
Welcome to the creek, and thanks for posting some beautiful work. They are all nice, but the redwood burl is striking! Very nice. Would look great with an ebony finial.

David E Keller
01-21-2010, 8:39 PM
Beautiful wood and forms. The second maple piece and the redwood piece are probably my favorites, but they're all nice.

Is the opening on the redwood piece unfinished? It looks like there's a step/recess inside the opening that looks like a gripping point.

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2010, 8:44 PM
Michael - Welcome to the Creek!

Very nice work on everything! Especially like the Redwood Burl HF! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Welcome!

Richard Madison
01-21-2010, 8:45 PM
Welcome to SMC Michael. You are off to a great start.

Baxter Smith
01-21-2010, 9:18 PM
Welcome! Great looking turnings!

Bill Bolen
01-21-2010, 9:25 PM
Welcome aboard! Beautiful work you posted. I'm especially taken with the redwood piece. Fantastic wood, great form and a faultless finish...Bill...

Rob Cunningham
01-22-2010, 9:10 AM
Welcome to the Creek. You posted some beautiful pieces. I really like the Redwood burl.

Roger Bullock
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
When I first started, I was happy to just get a little snowman to look like a snowman. it appears that you have not only a natural turning ability but also a good eye for form.

Great looking bowls. You made that burl really pop.

One question, where can I buy some of that natural tallent? :confused:

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Nice forms and great looking wood! I am new to turning as well and have the same lathe.

Thanks Joe

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Those are really nice. How long have you been turning????? They look awfully good!
Regards, Hilel.

Hi Hilel,
I turned wood for about 4 months in 07 and now since Sept 09.
Thanks for your generous comments.

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow great looking pieces and welcome to the creek.

Sid

Thanks, its my pleasure

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Welcome to SMC. Really nice looking pieces. You might give a little more info on finish and size. Those are really well done.

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the motivation. To the first two maple pieces I have applied 3 coats of danish oil finish with sanding in between each coat and then used the Beal buffing process. The spalted maple and the vase have no oil finish, just the Beal buffing. The redwood needed only one coat of danish oil and some EEE australian wax. All pieces range in 8 to 9 inches width and 3.5 inches high range except the spalted HF which is 5 inches high.

Once again thanks for your generosity

Michael

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the creek, and thanks for posting some beautiful work. They are all nice, but the redwood burl is striking! Very nice. Would look great with an ebony finial.

Hi John,

thanks. You are right, an ebony finial might just look beautiful. In fact I think I will make one in ebony.

regards

Michael

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Beautiful wood and forms. The second maple piece and the redwood piece are probably my favorites, but they're all nice.

Is the opening on the redwood piece unfinished? It looks like there's a step/recess inside the opening that looks like a gripping point.

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting.

Hi David,

Thanks. Yeah, the redwood opening is still unfinished. The step is to hold the finial lid and was used earlier to chuck the piece to finish the bottom. You have a good eye. And the second maple is also my favourite. Once again thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts.

regards

Michael

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Michael - Welcome to the Creek!

Very nice work on everything! Especially like the Redwood Burl HF! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Welcome!

Hi Steve

Thanks to your guidance and inspiration I got the courage to do my first posting.

And yeah I agree with you the redwood burl is beautiful! I had bought it off ebay in 07 and it had been drying in one of my buddys garage till last Oct.

Once again thanks much

regards
Michael

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 1:03 PM
Welcome to SMC Michael. You are off to a great start.

Hi Richard,

Thanks. It takes me a lot of time to prepare each piece, but like the saying goes "its 1% inspiration & 99% perspiration" :-)

regards

Michael

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 1:04 PM
Welcome! Great looking turnings!

Thanks Baxter

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 1:07 PM
Welcome aboard! Beautiful work you posted. I'm especially taken with the redwood piece. Fantastic wood, great form and a faultless finish...Bill...

Hi Bill

Thanks. My favourite woods are redwood burl and cocobollo, easy to work with and always a beautiful surprise awaits you!!

once again thanks

regards

Michael

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 1:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek. You posted some beautiful pieces. I really like the Redwood burl.

Hi Rob,

thanks for your generosity.

regards

Michael

Michael Jasani
01-22-2010, 1:21 PM
When I first started, I was happy to just get a little snowman to look like a snowman. it appears that you have not only a natural turning ability but also a good eye for form.

Great looking bowls. You made that burl really pop.

One question, where can I buy some of that natural tallent? :confused:

Hey Roger,

I guess we all go thru the same experience!!!! I have had my share of uglys which I have packed them off in a box and try not to remeber where I kept it in the garage :-)

Thanks a lot for your generosity and time.

Regards

Michael

GLENN THOMAS
01-22-2010, 3:40 PM
Really nice work. Welcome to the creek.

Michael Jasani
01-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Really nice work. Welcome to the creek.

Thanks a lot Glenn

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Michael,

Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful pieces all but I'm especially allured by that redwood burl. Striking grain...almost appears to have a texturing effect! Nicely done on all accounts!

Michael Jasani
01-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Michael,

Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful pieces all but I'm especially allured by that redwood burl. Striking grain...almost appears to have a texturing effect! Nicely done on all accounts!

Thanks Ken

When I first photographed the redwood piece with white light, the results were not very impressive but one yellow overhead light did the trick. It really popped the grain.