PDA

View Full Version : How late in the year can a flat roof be installed?

Bob Weisner
10-19-2004, 8:28 PM
Hi.

Does anyone know how late in the year a flat roof can be installed? It would be using a material called Flintastic. SP? We needed to have a new flat roof installed and there was a bunch of delays. I was hoping to have the roof put on before snow fell, but we had our first snowfall of the season yesterday. (2 inches). Can this type of roof be installed during cold weather conditions? What does the roofer have to do to make sure that the flat roof gets installed correctly in cold weather?

Thanks,

Bob

Paul Downes
10-20-2004, 4:44 PM
I'm not familiar with the product you mention, Bob, but I believe the critical aspect of installing a membrane or ashphalt roof is the issue of haveing enough heat to get the seams to seal. It seems to me I have seen roof repairs/installation going on in the winter. I think what you would want to do is to heat (torch?) the seams to get them to bond. I would certainly consider applying more than enough sealer to the lap joints. The manufacturer should be able to supply you with the right information to complete the job.

Chris Padilla
10-20-2004, 5:02 PM
Bob,

Where do you live?

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-20-2004, 5:43 PM
Bob, if the membrane material that will be used is a torch down type application, they pretty much install that type of roof year 'round in the Midwest. Actually, they install most types of roofing material year 'round in these parts. I would think any reputable roofing contractor could answer your question.

JayStPeter
10-20-2004, 6:49 PM
I had a torch down rubber roof installed on a flat part of my old house in late December (in the mid 30s). I did not, however, have any snow on the roof at the time :D

Jay

Chris Padilla
10-20-2004, 7:23 PM
Jay, you must indeed have "snow on the roof" if you had a house in the mid 1930s! :eek:

JayStPeter
10-20-2004, 9:53 PM
Jay, you must indeed have "snow on the roof" if you had a house in the mid 1930s! :eek:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that was in my previous life :D

Mid 30s temperatures at the time, mid 90s date, in my mid 20s.

Jay

larry merlau
10-27-2004, 12:23 PM
hey cris was you a bully when you were younger or just one of those guys that started a fire and hid to watch how it ended :D i bet you swat hornets nest to huh :D