PDA

View Full Version : How can I imitate old Oak

Donald Harris
01-21-2010, 6:39 PM
I an very new to furniture building but not wood working.
I have an old oak dresser which is probably 100 years old from my wifes departed parents and perhaps grandparents. My wife does not know the history except her parents had the dresser when she was a child and she is now 77. Her family were tobacco farmers and we doubt seriously if the dresser ever got more than an occassional dusting. The surface is very smooth but the soft areas between the hard grains are deeper than the surface. I am sure there is a name for the soft wood in between the hard wood but I an an oak novice.
The bed was too short for the newer matresses so about 30 years ago I retrofitted it with metal bed rails. I intend to build a bedside table using the same old style as the dresser. We still have the original wood bed rails which will give me enough matching old wood for the top and the drawer fronts. My dilema is what do I do to new white oak surface so it looks similiar to the old. I know how to finish it to match the coloring of the original dresser but the deep grains have got me stumped!

Josiah Bartlett
01-21-2010, 8:06 PM
Sandblast it. (Or walnut shells, or something gentler). Practice on a scrap piece first. Either that or raise the grain with water before finishing.

harry strasil
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
The resin rings are much harder and stabiler than the soft cellulose growth between them, what happened is thru the years the cellulose shrank and the resin rings didn't.

very gently and quickly blast with the ground up walnut shells will work, just don't blast it straight on, blast from an angle from one end to the other to leave the resin rings high without distorting them too much.

Donald Harris
01-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks Guys.
As suggested I have been attempting to get set up for the walnut shell blasting, so far it has been hard to do on my extremely limited budget!

David DeCristoforo
01-23-2010, 10:40 AM
"How can I imitate old Oak..."

Get some leaves and some rubber cement. Glue the leaves all over your arms and fingers. Hold your arms up with your fingers spread as wide apart as you can. Remain very still for a long time...

Richard Dragin
01-24-2010, 1:34 AM
"How can I imitate old Oak..."

Get some leaves and some rubber cement. Glue the leaves all over your arms and fingers. Hold your arms up with your fingers spread as wide apart as you can. Remain very still for a long time...

That's a corny post.