PDA

View Full Version : Alumamark Alternative at JDS

Brian Robison
01-21-2010, 6:34 PM
Hi folks,
If you use alumamark, you need to check out the new material JDS has. I think the name is laser black or something. I was very impressed. I ran at 100% speed too.

Liesl Dexheimer
01-22-2010, 5:07 PM
I actually bought some not too long ago. Engraves very nice, especially for the price & sheet size, I just wish it wasn't as shiny of a finish. I prefer the nice matte finish of AlumaMark but I guess you can't have everything...

Scott Balboa
01-22-2010, 7:31 PM
I recently gave LaserBlak a test run and honestly wasn't very impressed. The LaserBlak engraved detail nicely but the sheen of the engraved portions wasn't really my thing. At certain angles it looked great but in my opinion it looked like brass that's been lasered with too much power so it reveals the steel/alloy material within the black engraving. If someone has a pic to sway me otherwise I'd like to see it! Note: I only tried the Gold... haven't tried the Silver yet.

Scott Balboa
01-22-2010, 7:44 PM
I'm pretty picky so I shouldn't bad mouth LaserBlak too much... I looked at my sample piece again just a minute ago and it really isn't all that bad, just the sheen in the letters bothers me I guess. I used to do sublimation on brass with excellent results, so ever since then all gold/black combinations on the laser get weighed against what I used to know and love. Is it only in Silver and Black?

Dan Hintz
01-25-2010, 8:07 AM
Scott,

Maybe you could mask the sheet before engraving and hit it with a quick short of matte clear spray paint? Just trying to think of possible options for you...

Mike Null
01-25-2010, 8:21 AM
Along the same line I was wondering if you could use one of the clear auto polishes to produce a better looking surface. I use that quite often on various metals.

Brian Robison
01-25-2010, 8:22 AM
I used the silver and it had a matte finish.

Scott Balboa
01-25-2010, 2:41 PM
Dan & Mike,

I never thought about either of those... good ideas!

Larry Bratton
01-25-2010, 7:30 PM
I'm pretty picky so I shouldn't bad mouth LaserBlak too much... I looked at my sample piece again just a minute ago and it really isn't all that bad, just the sheen in the letters bothers me I guess. I used to do sublimation on brass with excellent results, so ever since then all gold/black combinations on the laser get weighed against what I used to know and love. Is it only in Silver and Black?
They just added Copper and White/Black

Brian Robison
02-05-2010, 2:51 PM
I ordered some of every color. I REALLY like the stuff.
The white took more power to engrave but I still suggest
trying it. The gold is pretty shiny but the silver and copper are rally nice. I made business cards of of all of them.

Scott Balboa
02-05-2010, 8:21 PM
Since I first replied to this post I've had a chance to mess around with the Laserblak a little more... and I realized that using our standard brass/aluminum settings was overpowered, thus creating the sheen I mentioned earlier. The real trick with this stuff is running a few tests to find the bare minimum power that will create a nice black mark but no "glimmer". On our 40w I believe it was 18% power, 100% speed, 500dpi. Now I like this stuff!

Vic Harris
06-08-2011, 1:16 PM
I agree with the shinny engraved statement, thats why I was looking to see if maybe someone had better settings than me, so the text would look more black.

Vic Harris
06-08-2011, 1:40 PM
high speed does work better!
Hi folks,
If you use alumamark, you need to check out the new material JDS has. I think the name is laser black or something. I was very impressed. I ran at 100% speed too.