PDA

View Full Version : Decent Chuck?

Ray Meche
01-21-2010, 6:01 PM
Does anyone know about this chuck?
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html

I turn mostly pens and bottle stoppers on a Delta Midi. Want to try bowls and other stuff. For $89 and free jumbo jaws, what would you do?

Roland Martin
01-21-2010, 6:23 PM
I recently bought this set-up from PennState and am quite happy with it overall. I turned about 5 bowls so far & think it performs really well for the money, no regrets.

Donny Lawson
01-21-2010, 6:24 PM
I cannot say much about chucks yet because i just ordered me one today.I want to start turning bowls too.All I have turned so far is pens.I ordered the Talon oneway from Hartville tool.It will be going on my Delta Midi too.They have a great deal on them right now.You can get the Talon Oneway Chuck with 4 DVD's on woodturning for 204.00.Free shipping and no sales tax.I also ordered the adapter and a RS bowl gouge.It should be here in a few days.
Donny

John Keeton
01-21-2010, 6:42 PM
I considered the PSI chuck, but ended up getting the deal on the Nova G3 for $125, including the insert. I bought the Cole jaws separately.

When I first started turning, I wondered why folks had multiple chucks. When I bought the new Delta, it came with another G3. Now, I keep the #2 jaws on one chuck, and the Cole jaws on the other - much better!!

So, my advice is to "pick a system" and stick with it. That way all the jaws will interchange. The PSI system may be fine, but if you buy that one, then stick with their chucks for future buys.

Advice from a really green newbie!!

Sid Matheny
01-21-2010, 7:09 PM
I have the SuperNova2 now but with my old lathe I used the PSI utility chuck before this one came out. It is about the same chuck except it did not use the C style jaws. It worked fine for me and I didn't have any problems with it except being befor the C style I couldn't find jaws for it and had to make my own.

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2010, 8:09 PM
I have the Vicmarc VM100 and found out the $99 grizzly chuck is a clone. All the jaws from the VM100 will fit it. So I have 3 grizzly's that each have a different set of jaws on them. The grizzly's are a very good chuck.

Richard Madison
01-21-2010, 9:25 PM
This is where I always follow Bernie and say I have two of the Griz chucks also and have been well satisfied with them. Would get another if/when really needed.

Curt Fuller
01-22-2010, 12:05 AM
That's a good price on the chuck but I notice it's out of stock. I wonder if the price will still be the same when it's in stock. That said, the chucks like this that use two tightening bars can be kind of awkward to use. They make you wish you had 3 hands. They're good and they hold tight, just a little harder to use than the type that use a single key. Amazon sells Penn State chucks for less than Penn State and they include free shipping. I have this chuck that I use on my Delta Midi and have been very happy with it. It comes with 4 sets of jaws, screw chuck, nice case to keep it all in. A little more money but worth it in my opinion.
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-CSC3000C-Barracuda-System/dp/B000KIACTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264133206&sr=8-2

John Keeton
01-22-2010, 7:21 AM
Amazon sells Penn State chucks for less than Penn State and they include free shipping. I needed a collet chuck, among other things, and I called PSI, and commented that Amazon had it cheaper. They matched the price. If you just want to order from PSI, or have other items to add to the order, you may want to try that.

Mauricio Ulloa
01-22-2010, 9:20 AM
I've had the same PSI chuck for 2 years. I use it for small items including bowls that don't exceed 10". I learned the hard way that my chuck couldn't hold bowls bigger than 10" efficiently. I recently bought a Supernova 2 chuck that works great for these bigger bowls.

The price for the PSI is great and it comes in a nice plastic box with a variety of jaws. I also learned that when you get deeper into chucking, you'd like to have several chucks with different jaws on them. At least the ones you use the most. I hate to waste time changing jaws in a chuck....! You can also buy only the chucks without the jaws at PSI for a reduced price and have designated sets of chucks and jaws using the jaws that you already have from the first set.

So, I think this will be a good buy for your intended use.

In the future you may want to get into more heavy chucking, but that's another story!

Good luck!

Antonio Martinez
01-22-2010, 9:22 AM
I have that chuck and cannot be more pleased. I have tried friends chucks that cost considerably more and honestly this one works just as well and for much less cost.

I recommend it, but then again some people may prefer Chevy over Nissan or ...you get the idea.

For me - best $90 I ever spent for what comes with it.