PDA

View Full Version : Coupla questions on finding a sharpening service

Ken Platt
01-21-2010, 5:58 PM
First, I was wondering which (if any) sharpening services support the forum? I thought there was a listing of some sort around, but wasn't able to find it if it exists.

Second, there seems to be a wide variation in prices for sharpening carbide jointer blades. Bull Sharpening wants $1.20/inch; Ridge Carbide $2.50. That difference seems a little extreme....am I missing something?

Lastly, I'd appreciate any recommendations. I also know of Scott Whiting, and may still use him, but it seems like I ought to be able to get something a little closer to home (Connecticut), to save on time in transit if nothing else. (He asks $1.70/inch for the carbide blades).

Many thanks -

Ken

Paul Ryan
01-21-2010, 9:27 PM
Ken,

My advice is to find a cabinet shop and ask them who they use. I have a guy local that sharpens but I was very unsatified with him. I talked to a local cabinet shop and they told me that they send theirs 90 miles away to have them sharpened. The other nice thing the shop told me I could leave my blades with them they would send my blades in with theirs and I could get the volume discount them. Works good, but I don't need blades sharpened often.

Michael Donahue
01-21-2010, 9:34 PM
First, I was wondering which (if any) sharpening services support the forum? I thought there was a listing of some sort around, but wasn't able to find it if it exists.

Second, there seems to be a wide variation in prices for sharpening carbide jointer blades. Bull Sharpening wants $1.20/inch; Ridge Carbide $2.50. That difference seems a little extreme....am I missing something?

Lastly, I'd appreciate any recommendations. I also know of Scott Whiting, and may still use him, but it seems like I ought to be able to get something a little closer to home (Connecticut), to save on time in transit if nothing else. (He asks $1.70/inch for the carbide blades).

Many thanks -

Ken

Have you tried going through Woodcraft? I don't know what the prices are though.

John Lanciani
01-22-2010, 9:47 AM
Hi Ken

I use Burns Tools in Fall River MA (www burnstools com). The are top notch, local, and fast, too. Unfortunately for you, though, they also charge $2.50 per inch for carbide planer knives.

John

Bruce Wrenn
01-23-2010, 12:11 AM
I live in central NC. Even though I have two good sharpening services within 40 miles, I use Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) in Buffalo NY. Send blades out in a "flat rate box" for USPS, and about a week and a half they are back. You can order flat rate boxes, postage, and arrange for pick up online.

Ken Platt
01-25-2010, 8:25 PM
Thanks for the referrals to Burns and Dynamic. I still don't understand the price difference - Dynamic will do carbide tipped jointer blades for $1/inch, but as mentioned Burns asks $2.50. I don't mind at all paying for a quality job, but I hate overpaying for the same service.

Can anyone shed some light on this? All of these companies, both the expensive and the cheap ones, seem to get good reviews.

Ken

Rod Sheridan
01-25-2010, 9:28 PM
Is there an FS tools distributor near you?

Regards, Rod.

Brad Schafer
01-25-2010, 9:38 PM
+1 on Ridge Carbide. had them sharpen 10 blades late last fall, and they did a super job. no affiliation, but a very satisfied customer.

-b

Robert Reece
01-25-2010, 9:58 PM
+1 for Dynamic Saw - from another Central NC woodworker! I had them sharpen about 10 blades and all were great. Especially my Dado stack, they really tightened up the bat ears you get on the dado.

The price difference is probably due to equipment that each sharpener has. If you had a machine that did all the work vs. it being a manual process - well that could account for a price difference.

Karl Brogger
01-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Ken,

My advice is to find a cabinet shop and ask them who they use.

What he said.