PDA

View Full Version : Scms zci

Byron Trantham
01-21-2010, 5:20 PM
I made a ZCI for my DeWalt SCMS. I thought you might be interested.

Here it is:

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2010, 5:25 PM
Very neat Byron. Was it hard to fit?

Charles Wiggins
01-21-2010, 5:33 PM
Cool. When I get around to buying one that is the first thing I intend to do. Any tips?

Roger Bullock
01-21-2010, 5:48 PM
PDC IMHO that ZCI for your SCMS

G. Brad Schmidt
01-21-2010, 5:55 PM
That's a nice clean looking ZCI Byron. It would look even nicer on my new Milwaukee SCMS. ;)

Steve Clardy
01-21-2010, 7:01 PM
I've got a couple of 708's that I need to make those for.

Someday...

Chris Tsutsui
01-21-2010, 7:13 PM
It never occured to me to make one of those... Probably because it looks difficult for me to make.

Instead I made a zero clearance "fence and table insert" by butt gluing two panels of MDF to eachother. Basically it forms a 90 degree "L" shape fence and table. Then I set the blade cutting depth to just below the surface of the insert when using it.

glenn bradley
01-21-2010, 7:37 PM
Definitely handy. Here's (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54160) a how-to from a few years back.

Byron Trantham
01-22-2010, 9:59 AM
Very neat Byron. Was it hard to fit?

Actually, since the insert is about 1/4" thick its not too bad. I made the first one and then used a patterning bit make three more. I just drew in the edges of the existing insert and use 100 grit and then 150 grit to "sand down to size". The unexpected benifit is I now can see exactly where the blade is going to cut and setting the piece to be cut is much easier "a poor man's laser" :D

Cliff Holmes
01-22-2010, 10:45 AM
My son busted up the stock ones on my SCMS and I've never gotten around to getting new ones. Never occurred to me to make my own. Maybe I'll do that this evening as a break from trying to align my new tablesaw.

Tony De Masi
01-22-2010, 1:50 PM
Thanks Byron. Now I know what my next shop project is.

Tony

keith micinski
01-22-2010, 3:11 PM
I just finished making mine. I hate to say it but I never thought of making one of these and it is a great idea. I am always complaining about not having a laser on my saw but I think this might even be better. Thanks Byron I had to make it in two pieces though because the Milwaukee comes that way. On a side bar I just got my second table saw up and running and I am suggesting for anyone that has the room to get one. It is so nice to leave one saw setup the way you need it and be able to use the other one for crosscutting or dadoing.

Byron Trantham
01-23-2010, 9:36 AM
I just finished making mine. I hate to say it but I never thought of making one of these and it is a great idea. I am always complaining about not having a laser on my saw but I think this might even be better. Thanks Byron I had to make it in two pieces though because the Milwaukee comes that way. On a side bar I just got my second table saw up and running and I am suggesting for anyone that has the room to get one. It is so nice to leave one saw setup the way you need it and be able to use the other one for crosscutting or dadoing.

Keith,
Mine came in two pieces as well. I just measured the overall width (3" in my case) and length (~17"). Then I taped the two pieces on their respective edges and drew in the shape. Then I used the band saw to remove the majority of the material on the ends where they tapered and kept sanding unit it fit well. I used that one as a pattern to make three more with a router. :D