PDA

View Full Version : ? For sale, Make offer.

Dave Lehnert
01-21-2010, 5:18 PM
How effective is it to list an item for sale on Craigslist or the like "Make offer" I would think you would get nothing but low ball offers. Would you be better off listing something like $300 or best offer just so the buyer has a ball park figure.

How do you deal with such a listing as a buyer or seller?

Charles Wiggins
01-21-2010, 5:31 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with "make an offer" ads. I love it when the seller is easy to deal with and you end up with a good deal that makes you both happy. It absolutely STINKS when you make a low offer in hopes of getting a deal and rather than politely countering, the seller gets insulted. I think most buyers and horse traders prefer for the seller to start the negotiations for that reason.

As a seller, I ALWAYS price my listings. I do my research and try to find out what similar items are being listed for, both new and used so I am competitive and reasonable. I do tend to price on the higher end of "competitive and reasonable" with the thought that most folks will try to negotiate. But a few times I have been surprised that folks met my price with no haggling and were happy to get the item at that price and I was happy to get more than I actually expected.

David G Baker
01-21-2010, 5:52 PM
When I list something for sale on Craig's list or Ebay I list it at the minimum price I will accept for the item. I rarely ever bid on or buy "make offer" items unless it is something I can't live with out. Items with out photos are rarely bid on by me either.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-21-2010, 5:58 PM
As a buyer, I ignore them. As a seller, I don't do it.

Bruce Page
01-21-2010, 6:58 PM
As a buyer, I ignore them. As a seller, I don't do it.

+1.

I really hate it when they don’t put any price down and expect you to quarry them.

James Jaragosky
01-21-2010, 7:20 PM
+1.

I really hate it when they don’t put any price down and expect you to quarry them.
+1
I never even consider anything that is not priced. I just figure that either the seller wants to much or hasn't a clue what its worth. The item is probably more trouble that its worth.
Jim J.

Anthony Anderson
01-21-2010, 7:33 PM
Same as Rod, Bruce, and James. I don't waste my time with "make me an offer" ads. If an ad/listing doesn't have any pictures, I don't bother with those either.

I suppose it might work with some buyers.

Al Willits
01-21-2010, 8:00 PM
Add me to the list, but if unsure I'd list a price and add "or make offer", that at least gives the buyer a idea what you want.

Al

Jim Rimmer
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't know about the unpriced or make offer situation but I would discourage putting in $xxx or best offer. You just told everyone that you are willing to take less.

Paul Ryan
01-22-2010, 8:54 AM
I never advertise a "make offer" because I am worried I will get all sorts of calls offering way to little. Instead I almost always use the $$$/OBO. The reason is because I feel buyers want to be able to negoitate, if on craigslist. To me if I see and add and it says $400 that means that is what they want and they will haggle very little. So in my case the last think I sold on craigslist was a projection TV. I wanted $300 for it so I put the add $350/OBO sure enough the 1st person that called offered $325. They were happy thinking they got a deal and I got extra beer money.

Al Willits
01-22-2010, 9:21 AM
I don't know about the unpriced or make offer situation but I would discourage putting in $xxx or best offer. You just told everyone that you are willing to take less.

If I wanted to sell a item for $400 I'd put a $500 or so price on it, I'd not put bottom line price.

Be supprised how many times you'd settle for $425-450

As far as keeping low ball biders out, good luck, you can list a "FIRM" price and they'll offer less.

Al

Jim Mattheiss
01-22-2010, 9:07 PM
BTDT - today in fact. NJ CL Listing for 16" Walker Turner Bandsaw. No price.

Sent email with several questions - including "what are yo looking for"?

They came back with $450 and it's 3 phase. I'll pass for now.

I said if you get no bites, I'd give em $250 for it.

I'm pretty sure I'll never hear from them again, but you never know.

Jim

Myk Rian
01-22-2010, 10:25 PM
A fellow WWer I know had a bunch of darkroom equipment to get rid of.
Tried asking cheap prices on CL and got no calls.
He finally changed the ad to read "No unreasonable offer refused".
Still no calls, until he changed it again to FREE.

Another time, I bought the cheap Delta TS200FS table saw for $40 off CL.
Took it home, cleaned it up, posted it on CL for $60.
Sold it the next day for the $60.
It wasn't worth $40.

Matt Stiegler
01-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Instead I almost always use the $$$/OBO. The reason is because I feel buyers want to be able to negoitate, if on craigslist. To me if I see and add and it says $400 that means that is what they want and they will haggle very little.

Interesting. My impression/experience is different. I feel like bargaining is the default on craigslist, and that anyone who doesn't say "$xx firm" is open to negotiating depending on the response they get. I never say OBO when I list something, and I almost always get offers below my asking price -- in fact, when I don't it makes me suspect I didn't ask enough (And as a buyer that's the only time I don't counter-offer.)

I'd be reluctant to put OBO in an ad because I'd worry that would encourage lowball offers, which sometimes I find off-putting.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't think there's one single CL etiquette.

As to the original topic, I agree with everyone else, I ignore "make offer" ads and ads that just have a phone number instead of a price.

Jim Rimmer
01-23-2010, 12:13 AM
If I wanted to sell a item for $400 I'd put a $500 or so price on it, I'd not put bottom line price.

Be supprised how many times you'd settle for $425-450

As far as keeping low ball biders out, good luck, you can list a "FIRM" price and they'll offer less.

Al
I agree, Al. I would post a higher price and be willing to haggle. But some people are a little nervous about haggling and you might get the asking price. If you say OBO your telling everyone that you don't expect to get your asking price.

Mike Cruz
01-23-2010, 12:28 AM
OK, usually, I HATE those ads. BUT, I got my Uni on one of those.

The ad said "Get my saw for the price of taking it away". I emailed him saying that I don't NEED a TS...I already have one. But if the offer is too good to pass up, well, I can't pass it up. (I had a Ridgid TS2424.) He called me back and said he had an offer for $500, but because it was a right tilt, the guy backed out. I told him that (which was the truth) that my wife and I had already discussed it and I could do $400. He said if I would actually show up, he'd do it.

This was a once in a lifetime deal. It was a divorce, settlement was the next day, he needed it out NOW. In the long run, he gave me $100 back to take some shelving units away. As much as this was a HUGE deal-o-rama for me, it worked out for him, too. He didn't have to rent a truck, rent a storage facility, get a bunch of guys together to move it (and all the other stuff...DP, jointer, DC...that he also gave me...free). So, while he could have gotten a lot more had he moved it, it would have cost him time and money...that I got the feeling he really didn't have...at least the time part.

So, the moral of the story? Sometimes its a scammer trying to get the highest bid. Sometimes it is someone in a desperate situation.

Personally, I wouldn't (if possible) do this as a seller. I wouldn't want to filter through all the $25 offers on a $1000 machine.

I agree, posting a dollar amount (as a referance) followed by OBO is the best course.

Pat Germain
01-23-2010, 12:08 PM
When I was younger, I used to buy and sell things through newspaper classifieds. Craigslist is the same world only online. If you're selling, you get people who expect you give it away. If you're buying, you get sellers who hope someone will give them a fortune for junk.

When selling on Craigslist, I think a good, carefully prepared ad goes a long way. I try to give the buyers all the information I would want to know. The good. The bad. And a firm price. I completely ignore "Make Offer" ads. They're just a waste of my time.

I think it's also important for sellers to do a little research. What are similar items selling for? Note I said selling and not listing. There are always people expecting way too much money for something. Those ads stay up on Craigslist week after week.

Unfortunately, there are many lazy sellers on Craigslist. They post something for sale with minimal information, no pictures and no price. I skip right by those ads as most people do.

A few weeks ago, I sold my daughter's old Honda Civic through Craigslist. I posted the ad at about 10:40 AM. Around 2:00 the same afternoon, I was signing the title over for full asking price. I think this was because I did my research to determine what people were willing to pay for the car. I included four good pictures of the car. I listed the car's history, the mileage, the maintenance and the cosmetic problems. When the buyers arrived, they had very few questions because I already told them pretty much everything in the ad. That's the best thing about Craigslist. It doesn't charge you by the letter!

Mike Cruz
01-23-2010, 3:25 PM
Yes, Pat, I should have clarified. The way you list is the BEST way. My point about giving a general amout with OBO is if you don't really know/care what it is really worth, but are willing to let it go for less than it is worth...for example if your time is more valuable than the most you could actually get for it.

Pat Germain
01-23-2010, 4:13 PM
Yes, Pat, I should have clarified. The way you list is the BEST way. My point about giving a general amout with OBO is if you don't really know/care what it is really worth, but are willing to let it go for less than it is worth...for example if your time is more valuable than the most you could actually get for it.

I think I understood you, Mike. I was just sharing my experience. :)

Mike Cruz
01-23-2010, 5:41 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure that I had been clear, that's why I restated. Truly, I like your way (usually the way I do it, too) the best. Works out for the best for both parties. Hope I didn't sound argumentative...

Pat Germain
01-24-2010, 2:43 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure that I had been clear, that's why I restated. Truly, I like your way (usually the way I do it, too) the best. Works out for the best for both parties. Hope I didn't sound argumentative...

No problem, Mike. You didn't sound argumentative. I think we're just experiencing the challenges of text-only communication. One's tone is hard to interpret.

John alder
01-24-2010, 5:28 PM
When posting an item I will put asking $ 325 that kind of indicates to the buyer I would haggle some.When buying I will not respond to anything with no price or make an offer unless I must have it.

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 9:47 PM
A lot of great info

I don't care if a person has a make offer in that sense. It's just if you have to drive 2 hours thinking $150 is my cap and the owner is thinking $750. Why waste your and the sellers time.

Craig Summers
01-25-2010, 4:37 PM
I always put a price, everyone needs a reference point.
If what you have is worth that much, use eBay for a bidding war.

I found that 4 sentences is the most for an average CL ad. Anything more and it may be a flag for the buyer. Superfluous adjectives are another flag. The seller may be too emotionally involved, or is trying to get a highball price. Normal used condition should 1/2 the original purchase price or so. As others said, do some research.

Items above $1,000 should have a picture.

As a seller, I disliked any initial emails that were "I see your ad for the $500 widget, i'll give you $225" sight unseen except for the picture. If you are going to negotiate a lowball price, maybe the buyer can set up the issue in the first email (aka hints like 'limited budget'), but the actual figure do so in person, or in later emails.

Ads that are miswritten (spelling errors, bad descriptions) can be signs of haste or product ignorance. Maybe a good indicator of either a good deal or a scam.