PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose

Jeremy Gibson
01-21-2010, 4:41 PM
Which would you choose for someone who has put tool to spinning wood once over 20 years ago on my BIL's Shopsmith to see how it felt? Are the two variable speed models worth the extra $100-$150?

Jet 1220 - $449

Delta 46-455 - $499

Jet 1220VS - $599

Delta 46-460 - $599

Jim Slovik
01-21-2010, 4:48 PM
Although I have the Jet 1220, I would go for the Delta. VS if you don't mind spending the extra money.
Jim

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2010, 4:58 PM
I have the Jet 1220 VS. I like it but if the Delta 46-460 VS with reversing had been out when I bought the Jet I would have went with the Delta. I have turned on the Delta and love it. I sand a lot in reverse on my big lathe and the Delta has that. I would go with the VS and definitely yes it is worth it.

Charles Wiggins
01-21-2010, 4:59 PM
I would get the Jet VS. I don't have as much confidence in Delta as I used to, and an extra $150 for VS? Phbttt! No question. Even if I never used it (which I know I would), it would always be nice to have the option.

Bob Haverstock
01-21-2010, 5:17 PM
Jeremy,

I have the JWL 1220, for a 12 X 20 lathe, I'm very pleased with it. It is a lot of bang for the buck. If you want to spend more bucks, go for something else. I turn for fun, taking a minute to change speeds is not an issue.

If I were going to spend more, I'd look at a Nova 1624 ( when it is on sale). Bigger bang, but more bucks.

Whichever you choose, be safe.

Bob

Thom Sturgill
01-21-2010, 5:22 PM
I have the 1220VS and would go for the Delta 46-460 VS not because of the reverse as I have no experience with that, but because of the larger motor (1hp vs 3/4hp) . I have not turned on one but have observed it in use. Very quite and the fit and finish are superb. With the bed extension this is every bit the equal to the Jet 1236.

In fact, I'm half thinking of it as an upgrade though I really want the Jet 1642 EVS (or even better a mustard monster).

Gordon Seto
01-21-2010, 6:01 PM
The Jet 1220 VS has min. speed of 200 rpm, the belt change model has min. speed of 500. For that reason alone, I would get the VS. The slower speed is more suitable (safer) for turning slightly out of balance bowls.

Reed Gray
01-21-2010, 6:26 PM
I think the variable speed is worth it. Once you have it you will never want to go back. For about the same money, the Delta with the 1 hp motor and reverse is the better deal, and like Bernie, if the Delta was out when I got my Jet, I would have chosen it. I use reverse a lot.

robo hippy

Jim McFarland
01-21-2010, 6:32 PM
Another of the "happy with Jet 1220VS" crowd but would have purchased the Delta had it been available: additional features combined with the positive reviews.

John Keeton
01-21-2010, 6:33 PM
My lathe experience is limited to the HF 34706 that I bought in September, and the new Delta 46-460 that I received this week.

As I understand, the HF is a clone of the Jet 1236. The difference in the two machines that I have owned is like night and day!! The Delta is super smooth, extremely quiet (though I use the DC most of the time), and I love the low speeds and reverse.

I can't speak to the others, but I can say that I am very impressed with the Delta!

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2010, 7:13 PM
It's your money of course but I recommend the Delta 46-460. I bought one for these reasons:

Very quiet operation no matter what speed
Plenty of power
Variable speed is great to get that "just right speed" where your piece doesn't rock the boat too much
Very easy belt change but you might not have to do this much
Overall build quality and Singer sewing machine smoothness; this baby just hums.

Good luck on your choice. Alan

Skip Spaulding
01-21-2010, 7:16 PM
Delta 46-460!

Chris Stolicky
01-21-2010, 8:32 PM
Being a Jet fan, and owner of two of them, I would have recommended the Jet 1220VS. However, Since the new Delta as come out, and I have used it, I think Delta currently has the better lathe in this category right now. Not only is it really smooth, its more power, and have reverse.

It also enough to grow into, but still plenty of value to keep around when the turner who has been on the 20 year break decides to further upgrade!

David E Keller
01-21-2010, 8:35 PM
Don't have a suggestions between the two brands, but I'd get the VS without question.

Richard Madison
01-21-2010, 9:11 PM
VS is most useful for the inexperienced turner who needs to start slow, and gradually work his/her way up the learning curve and the speed dial. And even experience turners who now have EVS would not voluntarily return to belt-change.

John Terefenko
01-21-2010, 9:42 PM
I have the Jet 1220vs but if the Delta vs was around when I bought mine that would have been my choice hands down. The ease of belt changing is so much better than jet. The larger HP is so much better than jet. The one thing I do not like about the Delta is the location of that switch. That is inviting to so much dust getting in there. If you get it maybe you can cover the switch somehow. What were they thinking?? Still would be my choice.

Denis Puland
01-21-2010, 9:52 PM
Electronic VS opens a whole new world of enjoyment.

Denis

Donny Lawson
01-21-2010, 10:53 PM
I have the Delta and it runs circles around my old one.My vote is for the Delta VS. A+++++++++++.
Donny

Walt Bennett
01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
I tested a pre-production Delta 46-460 for a year and have had a production version for over a year. No problems with either and I love the machine! My old Jet mini VS is now my wife's and I turn most bowls 12" and under and craft stuff with it, saving my Stubby for oval stuff and larger bowls. It's a bit heavier than the old Jet, but I still use it for demonstrating at craft fairs (great way to make inventory instead of trying to chat with lookers!).

Steve Mawson
01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Have to agree with Delta 46-460 owners as I am one also. Great lathe for all the reasons mentioned. Would not go back from VS.

Peter Lamb
01-22-2010, 8:42 AM
After thirty years plus making mulch without variable speed I can't say enough about how pleased I am with this lathe. It has done all I have asked of it. It is quiet!! Zero vibration. 12.5 swing
Peter

Brian Brown
01-22-2010, 9:02 AM
This is a really interesting thread, and I have been watching it closely. I have finally resigned myself to the idea that I will not likely be getting a full size lathe. I just don't have the space. I was really excited about the specs when the Detta 46-460 came out. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it came form Delta. I have become really disillusioned with Delta tools in recent years. They have been cheapened so much, and the accuracy fit and finish is deplorable. I have been really happy with my Delta lathe (LA-200), except for the cheap tool rests. Other tools from Delta have been expensive junk. Thanks Black and Decker for trashing some really good tools.

The new Delta lathe specs were so good that I predicted other manufacturers would follow suit, and that appears correct as PSI just introduced the new Turncrafter with similar specs. I am not recomending the PSI, just mentioning that other manufacturers have taken notice of the new offering from Delta. There should be a whole new wave of lathes comming soon, and I am looking forward to the oneupmanship war. I am amazed at the positive comments on the Delta lathe and am really waiting for a proven track record before I leap. I have just been burned too many time by Delta.

Tim Rinehart
01-22-2010, 9:24 AM
One other consideration in favor of the Delta VS is it's ability to get down to the speeds typically used for hand thread chasing. Most of the other VS benchtops only get down to about 500 RPM which is still about 200 RPM too fast for thread chasing... in my opinion.

Aside from that, even if I were not going to thread chase, the specs on the Delta look impressive and well engineered, including better belt width, 1 HP motor...and so on.

Lastly, consider as some owners of benchtop lathes if you will be moving it around to help with demos, etc. The Delta looks to be a much heavier unit as well, and this could make moving around a chore compared to some of the other units.

One lathe I didn't see in your list was the Rikon 70-200 EVS which should be out by now. I've had good experience using the standard 70-200 Rikons our clubs use for demos, and would put it in your list of considerations as well. Many of the standard 70-200s were discounted heavily and some sites still offer discounts.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the choices you have out there...just list out what you plan to do with it and whether that feature helps or detracts. Quality wise...all are good.

Rick Hutcheson
01-22-2010, 9:47 AM
With over 300 hours on the 46-460 I would choose it in a second. It has turned out to be a great lathe with lots of power. I let my Jet 1642 set and use the Delta the most now. I also have the belt drive 46-455 but I think the VS is better with a more power and reverse.