PDA

View Full Version : Coconut juice as an IV solution

Mitchell Andrus
01-21-2010, 2:08 PM
At the grocery store, I passed by an overhead monitor and I heard one of those cooking show brain trusts explain that coconuts are so good for you that the juice is used as an IV solution.

What ? I've never heard of anything so dumb, so of course I Googled it:

The intravenous use of coconut water

The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, Volume 18, Issue 1, January 2000, Pages 108-111
Darilyn Campbell-Falck MD, Tamara Thomas MD, Troy M. Falck MD, Narco Tutuo MD, and Kathleen Clem MD.
Abstract: Medical resources routinely used for intravenous hydration and resuscitation of critically ill patients may be limited in remote regions of the world. When faced with these shortages, physicians have had to improvise with the available resources, or simply do without. We report the successful use of coconut water as a short-term intravenous hydration fluid for a Solomon Island patient, a laboratory analysis of the local coconuts, and a review of previously documented intravenous coconut use.

Well, I'll be.

David Epperson
01-21-2010, 2:35 PM
Check out the Jackie Chan movie "Who am I".
First time I'd heard of it was in that movie.

Pat Germain
01-21-2010, 3:53 PM
I expect the patient would be quite "regular" as well as hydrated.

Jim O'Dell
01-21-2010, 4:39 PM
Yeah, but he/she might small a little fruity. (Act a little nutty??) ;) Jim.

Belinda Barfield
01-21-2010, 5:23 PM
Will Pina Coladas work, too? :D

Phil Thien
01-21-2010, 9:31 PM
Fascinating.

So I first heard about this stuff just the other day. It was on some show about Coca Cola (they purchased a bottler of the coconut water).

Does the stuff taste like coconut?

Kinda curious.

Rick Potter
01-22-2010, 4:32 AM
Tastes more like pure sugar.

Rick Potter

jeremy levine
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I heard it from a cab driver in Hawaii , but I thought it was a legend.

Mark Maleski
01-22-2010, 1:26 PM
So the benefit of the coconut water was that it provided desparately needed hydration, not that "coconuts are good for you."

Besides drawing the wrong conclusion, those making the claim are reaching a conclusion baded on an anecdote. Know the plural of anecdote?

Data.

Mike Cruz
01-23-2010, 12:32 AM
I think it has been proven to work best when mixed with rum. :D

Jim King
01-23-2010, 4:58 PM
I am with Belinda and Mike . Living in the tropics I have had gallons of it in my veins but it didīt get there alone and not by IV.

Medicine wise doctors here prescribe it when a person has Malaria or Denge. It does help.

As we have a small variety in the back yard I have a small glass for breakfast almost every day on ice.

The house helper brings them in without the shell and the milk is still in them ready to eat and drink..

Russ Filtz
01-23-2010, 6:21 PM
I think most of you are confusing coconut MILK with coconut WATER. They are two different things. The water is the natural fluid inside the coconut. The sweetened stuff used for drinks or cooking is made from the pressed "meat" of the coconut. The water is refreshing and healthy, not sweet at ALL. Very mild in taste, but good.

Buy some and try it!

* High in potassium, fat free, cholesterol free
* Contains five essential electrolytes--potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium, and phosphorous.
* O.N.E. is a natural isotonic beverage. It contains similar levels of electrolytes as those found in human blood.
* O.N.E. can help promote smoother, more hydrated skin. It is an effective oral rehydration medium, and keeps the body cool.
* O.N.E. is excellent for replacing lost electrolytes due to exercise and/or illness.

http://www.amazon.com/O-N-E-Coconut-11-2-Ounce-Aseptic-Containers/dp/B000UUWECC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1264285652&sr=8-4