PDA

View Full Version : Drawer constsruction material question?

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2010, 1:12 PM
HI, I'm making some drawers about 29"W x 19"D for a rolling cart. I only have the borgs for my wood so what material would you use? I'm thinking either 3/4' ply or 3/4 solid wood and 1/4 tempered hard board for the bottoms. I'm pocket screwing the sides. The bottom will be in a 1/4" kerf and glued in. So what would you use? The 3/4" ply or solid wood? How about the hardboard for the drawer bottoms? Thanks!

Van Huskey
01-21-2010, 1:29 PM
I would use 1/4 inch ply for the bottoms. If you are considering ply for the drawer sides I assume you aren't planning to use dovetails, if you aren't using dovetails I would probably use ply for the 4 sides and screw a front face on made from solids.

Caleb Larru
01-21-2010, 1:32 PM
If I was putting heavy or a lot of stuff in the drawers I would use 3/4 ply with a 1/2 ply bottom. If it wasn't going to hold heavy stuff, I would use 1/2 ply and 1/4 bottom.

If you are buying from borg, try out arauco plywood.

Myk Rian
01-21-2010, 1:33 PM
I like to use poplar for drawers. It's a nice clear grain, and cheap.
Do not glue the bottoms in. They need to float.

Van Huskey
01-21-2010, 1:36 PM

Very important! Don't glue the drawers, I meant to mention it but got distracted during the post and forgot to mention it.

Also the Caleb's points on ply thinkness are spot on.

Neil Brooks
01-21-2010, 1:47 PM

+1

That said ... somebody just told me about these:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2020

No first-hand experience ... yet ;)

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2010, 2:06 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm using ball bearing full extension sliders if that makes any difference. Thanks for replies so far. Not sure I get the "spaceballs link". :) And I am using pocket screws due to limited machinery available where I'm at.

Myk Rian
01-21-2010, 2:11 PM
The space balls keep panels from rattling.

Chuck Isaacson
01-21-2010, 3:12 PM
If you are going to use bottom mount slides then I would recommend that you use at least 3/8" ply. If you are using side mount slides. then the 1/4" is good.

Jason Strauss
01-21-2010, 3:18 PM
+1 on the poplar, spaceballs, and plywood bottom. That said, there are so many options...use and personal preference are the name of the game.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2010, 5:13 PM
I'm using side slides. Any opinions on using masonite/hardboard for the bottoms? I think it's 1/4".

Myk Rian
01-21-2010, 5:36 PM
For that size of drawer, use ply.

Jon Endres
01-21-2010, 6:07 PM
1/4" hardboard on a drawer that big is going to turn into a bowl. A deep bowl. Might even sag enough to come out of the side dadoes, unless all you're storing is pillows or bubble wrap. I would use 1/2" plywood. I built several 30" wide drawers for my kitchen and used 1/2" baltic birch for the sides and bottoms. No need to use 3/4" material for the sides.

Steve Clardy
01-21-2010, 6:55 PM
I'd go with ply bottoms

Stephen Edwards
01-21-2010, 6:56 PM
Is the rolling cart for the shop or is it a piece of furniture?

If my only source for the wood is a BORG, I'd use plywood for the sides. Their poplar around here, the last time I checked, was way too expensive.

I wouldn't use the 1/4" hardboard for drawer that wide. My preference would be a floating 3/8 or 1/2 bottom, especially if you're gonna be storing heavy items in the drawers.

If you don't like the look of exposed plywood edges you can put a thin strip of real wood on the top of the plywood "box". As someone else suggested, then use a real wood for the drawer fronts. You can attach the fronts with screws from the inside of the "boxes".

Alan Tolchinsky
01-21-2010, 7:06 PM
Thanks guys. This is a rolling cart for the shop that's going to hold a midi lathe on top. I've got some 3" locking wheels on it now but when I have an out of balanced blank on the lathe, that baby really rocks and rolls a lot. So stabilizing the cart is next on my agenda.