PDA

View Full Version : Forest Gump could have been talking about Wood

steven carter
01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Forest could have been talking about wood when he said you never know what you're going to get!

My daughter was given an antique mahogony dinner table, and wanted a candle holder that would hold a large candle for a center piece, so I chucked up a piece of cherry that I have had for a couple of years. The wood looked to be a solid piece of wood, but when I got into it I found that the center was rotten bark. Instead of trashing it I thought I would try to save it.

It ended up about 7" tall and 5" in diameter. I don't name turnings, but sometimes they make me think of something. This one made me think of Phantom of the Opera as it has two very different sides to it.

139187]

I used a carving gouge to remove the soft wood, and tried to keep the wood that was solid. It removed a little at a time as the turning got smaller in diameter.

The finish on the outside it my home brew oil, then buffed and ren wax. The "inside" I finished with rattle can laquer spray gloss.

This is an attempt to show the inside.

Thanks for looking, comments/critiques welcome.

Steve

kenneth walker
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Good job very nice piece! I hope it stays together for you.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Interesting piece Steve! I like it - but more importantly - how does your daughter like it? I think it would work wonderfully as a center piece - and - a conversation starter!

Nice work!

steven carter
01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Steve,

My daughter just loves it! My wife on the other hand thinks it would be better without the "hole" in it. She says you could put it on a mantle with the "good" side showing.

Steve

Thomas Canfield
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Steve,

I like it. Lots of character. That is the great thing about wood and hand work making it unique. You can't go to the store and buy the memories that will come from that piece and the stories that will be told about how and why it came to be - even if it gets put on a mantle with the good side showing.

John Keeton
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Steve, that is really neat looking!! Actually, it is a shame the other side doesn't show some of the rot and inclusions. But, then the name wouldn't fit!;)

Ken Glass
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Steve,
Inclusion=character=interest. You have made a seemingly average turned piece into a conversation starter. It directs one to take a closer look. Well Done.

GLENN THOMAS
01-21-2010, 2:34 PM
I have always told my wife and friends that when I turn and cut into a piece of wood I some times get the same feeling I did as a kid opening a Christmas present. Sometimes you get something you never could have imagined. Very nice piece and I like the Phantom of the Opera thing too. One thing is for sure and thats no matter who tries there will never be another like it.

GT

Leo Van Der Loo
01-21-2010, 3:42 PM
A very solid piece of Cherry would have been just nice, but it would never be able tp make a statement like this piece, it's a real piece of wood with some of a trees history brought to light, yes it is a very nice center-piece, well done :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2010, 5:05 PM
Steven that is well done out of some really nice wood. I like it.

David E Keller
01-21-2010, 8:46 PM
I like the side with the bark inclusion better than the solid cherry side. Nice turning. Not sure about the candle on top of it... it looks like it's sick:p

Richard Madison
01-21-2010, 8:56 PM
Side one is pretty ordinary. Side two, however, is very interesting! Like the piece, hate the candle.

Wayne Bower
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
That is awesome. I will bet the daughter was thrilled.