PDA

View Full Version : raised ring on table top

Dave Brandt
01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
My wife set a Christmas ornament on her favorite piece of furniture (table) and it left a raised ring. The ornament had some sort of plastic ring on its bottom to protect furniture, I'm guessing. If they something I can use to safely remove it? Thanks!

glenn bradley
01-21-2010, 1:05 PM
Hmmm, hard to tell from the pic but you describe this as a raised ring. This makes me think the finish is soft and the weight of the item caused a ringed crater-like thing? I have never seen shellac go soft unless it was too old when mixed/applied. Just in case, here (http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com/Hardwood/Finishing/Shellac/ShellacRepair.html) is a good article on repairing shellac if you can confirm that is the finish.

Howard A. is a bit of a wizard on finishes and I'll hope he chimes in here.

Lee Schierer
01-21-2010, 3:56 PM
The plasticizers in some plastics can leach out and soften finishes. I would try
placing a piece of wax paper over the raised area then placing a flat piece of wood or metal over the wax paper with a heavy weight on it for a few days to see is the finish levels out.

Jerry Olexa
01-22-2010, 3:46 PM
On the chance that it might be shellac, very lightly wipe over it with DA with a slightly moistened (w DA) soft rag. See if that helps. If its a varnish it'll require more advanced technique

Howard Acheson
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Like Lee, I suspect that the plasticizers in the decoration has interacted with the finish.

If the finish has raised I would suspect that the problem has pretty much damaged the finish. There is probably little that can be done in the way of a repair short of stripping and refinishing.

I would see is there is a local refinisher/restorer who can take a look and make a recommendation.