PDA

View Full Version : Re-design

Ken Glass
01-21-2010, 9:23 AM
Hey Gang,
I have been busy lately with my new Car Toy (MGB), and also getting ready for an Art walk downtown on Feb. 5th, where I will be the featured Artist, (go figure on that one.) Anyway, I was looking at some of last years HF's with finials, I decided to redo a few of them, having gotten a little better with technique and having started to use better finial turning material like, American Holly and African Ebony. I wondered if it was me or do others do the same thing. Now the question:

How many of you have looked at a past turning and decided to alter/redo features of it or as in my case, redesign a finial?

Brad Vaughn
01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I just re turned some of my first bowls they looked real beefy and thick compared to what I do today so yes your not alone. I often find that as I turn more and I look at what I have done in the past and see I have learned better ways of doing things. Thats what I like about this hobby.
Brad

Steve Mawson
01-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Most of my redo's were because something was wrong and needed fixing. Still have to try that finial thing. Congrats on the art expo in Feb. Wish we had a trip scheduled to Jville.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Brad - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Ken - Congrats on being the featured Artist! Pretty cool and looks great on your turning resume!

I've turned extra finials before but only within a few days of completing a turning. Once the turning is 'done', I move on to the next one. I have a lot of turnings that reflect the changes I have gone through but I have not considered modifying any of them.

Looking forward to seeing the before and after shots!

charlie knighton
01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
done is done :D, i like to look at some of my 1st turnings....

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Welcome to SMC Brad. Make sure you post your work. We like pic's.

Congrats Ken on being the featured artist. I also will maybe redo a finial or tweak something pretty close to the time I finish it but generally I have to many turnings to go back and redo them. Most times if I redo right away then I am pretty satisfied with the outcome and don't go back to modify them.

Norm Zax
01-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Some older turnings look like they should be incinerated, but I restrain myself. So far.
As to beeffier - is this because we preferred beefy work before we started to "understand" turning, or just because of lacking technique? Hmmmm.
Good luck Ken!

Dennis Ford
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Featured artist - thats great!

I am with Steve in that I move on to the next, once each piece is "done". I try to put any improvements into the next version.

John Keeton
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Ken, congratulations on the honors!! And, good luck with the exhibition.

On redoing, I am now working on turning #8:o So, redoing all of the prior turnings would be a rather quick job!!:D

But, even if that were an option, I wouldn't want to ever redo a prior turning. The comparison with my prior turnings is the only thing that makes the current one look decent!!;)

Richard Madison
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Ken,
Happy new Car Toy! That's gotta be fun.

I rarely rework a finished piece, even though in hindsight there is invariably something I don't like or could have been done better. Usually difficult to get the piece back on the lathe in a way that would facilitate the rework. I generally just try to learn from the unsatisfactory stuff and resolve to do better next time.

Sean Hughto
01-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Sometimes, like when you've already turned the tenon off a bowl, it's hard to do very much (at least with my set up). But when I can remount something, I'd definitely redesign. For example, over the weekend, I made a quick carver's mallet out of 4x4 hard maple. Last night I decided I didn't like how thick the handle was and the shape of the curve at the base of the handle so... put it back between centers and voila - a perfected mallet. It sort of felt like taking a roughout down to refined. All that said, if I have more wood, I will usually just make another of whatever - bowl, spindle, etc. rather than rework something significantly.

Interesting topic.

Ken Glass
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks Gang. Well, it looks like I am not totally alone in my re-do process.

Steve,
As time allows, I will post some before/after pic's. Since my retirement 12-31-09, I seem to be busier than ever and now wonder how I fit work into the schedule.

John Keeton
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Since my retirement 12-31-09, I seem to be busier than ever and now wonder how I fit work into the schedule.:mad::mad: An unfair dig at the rest of us hapless souls still at the daily grind!!:D Oh wait, I'm not working, I'm on SMC when I should be working!:rolleyes:

Ken, glad you finally get to enjoy EVERY day to the fullest!

Kim Ford
01-21-2010, 2:06 PM
As the old saying goes:

" It aint over till it's over."

And the only one that gets to define when it (meaning the piece you are working on) is over, is you.

Have fun with what you do.