PDA

View Full Version : Hook and Loop ROS

John Gregory
10-19-2004, 3:32 PM
I have a PC model 333 5" ROS. I just purchased a replacement pad, since the original one does not hold fast the sandpaper anymore. The cost was $16, I have seen it online for $20-25.

It seems to me that this wore out fairly quickly. I don't think we use in a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Is my experience common. Does the pad on your ROS wear out quickly? Do the hook and loop pads on other brands last longer? The PC ROS I have costs about $60 new. The pad seems like a high percentage of the price of the sander to need replacement frequently.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

John

Jim Becker
10-19-2004, 4:05 PM
"Heat kills" and sanding, especially when pressure is applied generates heat the degrades the little plastic "hooks" on the pad. $16 is a good price...good enough to keep an extra one around for the next time it fails. It will.

Dan Mages
10-19-2004, 4:15 PM
You should also look around for the 6" adapter plate that is available. Check out PC's website for more info.

Dan

Dick Parr
10-19-2004, 4:27 PM
John I have had my 333 for about 7 years and it is still on it's original pad and I have used a lot?????????

Ted Shrader
10-19-2004, 4:41 PM
John -

My two PC 333s are several years old and get frequent use. I bought a replacement pad at a store that was closing for $5.00 - just in case. I have never had the need to change the pad on either sander.

As Jim said, heat will kill a H&L pad. I don't put much pressure on the sander when using it. (After all, that is why I bought it, so I wouldn't have to work too hard. :) )

I use Klingspor sanding disks which last pretty well. But I make sure to change the disks when they are worn. If you try to use a disk right down to the very last grain of sand, it is false economy. Both in material and your time.

Regards,
Ted

John Gregory
10-19-2004, 4:41 PM
Thanks,
Everything each of you have said makes perfect sense. I found another thread about the same problem. Many responders attributed the problem to too much downward pressure on the sander. Sooooo, I will lighten up a bit. Another example of user technique.

John

Dave Sweeney
10-19-2004, 6:04 PM
It's also a good idea to vacuum the pad after you use the sander. By vacuuming the fine particles out of the sander pad, you're reducing the chances the pad will overheat the next time you use the sander.

John Gregory
10-19-2004, 6:32 PM
I frequently use my compressor to clean the wood dust from my PC333. the Pad too.

Joseph N. Myers
10-19-2004, 7:52 PM
Bought mine some 5 years ago and the pad went after a couple of months. Called the PC 800 number and they said that there was a problem with a certain run of the pad and the local PC store should replaced it for free. The local store had not heard of the problem but after calling the national PC, replaced it.

I had gotten it from the local WoodWorkers Warehouse and they were not aware of the problem either. Checked with a couple of other friends and PC replaced their for free also. Haven't had to use the extra pad I bought but do not use it that often.

If I remember correctly, I was told that the "hooks" on the pad were bent too far over. One of the posts said something about pushing too hard on the sander caused the problem --- makes sense that there would be a problem if the "hooks" were already bent over too much. And yes, I also use Klingspor sand paper, great stuff and at a great price.

Regards, Joe

Regards, Joe

Jason Roehl
10-19-2004, 8:49 PM
Dust collection, as in a suction source, also helps greatly cool the pad. The various bags and canisters that come on these things are a joke. My other point would be that the replacement pad is not necessary. I go with the glue-on replacements available at the borgs. Basically you finish sanding off the old hooks and glue on a new sheet of hooks. I've found the replacement hooks to be much stronger (in holding power) and more durable to boot. I think I paid $5 or $6 for a 2-pack of replacement hooks. BTW, I've got 2 of the 333s, and only had to replace one pad so far, and I like to use pressure (sometimes you just gotta get done). When you're doing it for pay, the economies work out a little differently--paper gets changed more quickly, and at $3 to change out a pad, it's cheaper for me to press down and eventually wear out a pad than it is to spend more of my time sanding. Just my take on it.

Steve Clardy
10-19-2004, 8:51 PM
A little tip I learned in doing. Sand off the tips to a flat surface. Then you can use PSA discs. Steve

Don Abele
10-19-2004, 9:08 PM
As others have posted, I have had my 333 for about 4 years now (bought it refurb for $30) and it's on it's original pad with no problems. I too find myself pressing a bit too hard every now and again and try to catch myself and then lighten up. It's been my understanding that pressing too hard defeats the ROS and turns it into a sheet sander possibly leaving sanding marks.

Be well,

Doc

Mark Singer
10-19-2004, 10:25 PM
I have made the mistake of turning on the sander with no disc! It is easy to do if you are changing paper....needless to say, that will be a bit rough on the pad. A couple of minutes and it is gone!

Kelly C. Hanna
10-20-2004, 12:28 AM
I went through two of them then the third gave up and I did too. Bought a DW sander and have had it about 8 months now of heavy use...no problem. I understand it to be a problem PC has with the hook pads.

John Gregory
10-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Since my wife and I work together in the shop, we have been considering picking up a second ROS. Of course the question comes up, what brand?
The PC333 has a high amp rating, 2.4, but has only five holes. Are 8 hole disks a lot better? A little better? If we buy and 8 hole sander, we need to double stock sanding disks. What about variable speed? Is there much advantage to a VS ROS?

Thanks

Jason Roehl
10-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Since my wife and I work together in the shop, we have been considering picking up a second ROS. Of course the question comes up, what brand?
The PC333 has a high amp rating, 2.4, but has only five holes. Are 8 hole disks a lot better? A little better? If we buy and 8 hole sander, we need to double stock sanding disks. What about variable speed? Is there much advantage to a VS ROS?

Thanks

I have both PC333s--VS and non-VS. I can't say I've really seen the need for the VS, but I think that if you ever have to sand a veneer (something I can't say I've done recently), the VS might be nice. VS doesn't allow you to ADD any speed, it only slows you down from the non-VS model. Like I said above, I've only had to replace the pad once, and as I remember now, it's because a friend used it for a short time without sandpaper (it was close to needing replacement, he finished it off).

As for the 5-hole arrangement, 8 may be better, I don't know. I can tell you this: I've used a 5-hole 333 for sanding drywall before, 6+ hours at a stretch. This was over a hardwood floor, and there was no appreciable dust on the floor when I was done. I didn't have white boogers when I was done (I didn't need a dust mask/respirator). At times, I would see wafts of dust get sucked up through the shroud just around the pad. So, in my opinion, 5- versus 8-hole is a non-issue with good suction attached to the tool. The stock bags or canisters are a joke; they collect maybe 10% of the dust. Hope this helps!

Charlie Plesums
10-20-2004, 2:52 PM
Since my wife and I work together in the shop, we have a whole collection of Random Orbital Sanders.

An antique that vibrates the operator more than the sandpaper. Forget it

Two Makita 5 inch 8 hole variable speed. I really liked this unit, so bought a second (and a third for my brother). These sanders eat the hooks, but otherwise are pretty good. Close to $100 each

A cheap single speed Ryobi 5 inch 8 hole. Not worth even the low $25 price

A Ridgid "quarter sheet" single speed. This has become my favorite, because of the ease of getting into corners. The square area also reduces my desire to put curves into my surfaces by pressing on the edge of the sanding disk. Dust collection is surprisingly good for the "built in" dust collection - a gizmo comes with the sander to punch 6 holes in the paper after it is on. Occasionally I want a less-aggressive cut, so I just use old paper or finer grit since the sander is single speed. About $50.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-20-2004, 5:33 PM
John,

Get the DW...it has eight holes and leaves very little dust behind. Hook it up to a shop vac and it leaves none. It's also more well built I think and doesn't have the hook and loop problems.

They now make sandpaper discs with eight large holes so that it fits both 5 & 8 hole sanders. More is better for dust collection.

john lawson
10-20-2004, 7:41 PM
I had the same problem with my PC 333. The hooks wore off. I check on replacing the pad, it was $20 plus shipping.

I was in Costco the other day, they had the DeWalt 421 ROS for $29. I bought that. My PC sits unused at the moment.

By the way, which stores carry replacement pads?

john lawson

Jason Roehl
10-21-2004, 12:02 AM
By the way, which stores carry replacement pads?

I found mine at Lowe's. But it's not the whole pad, it's just an after-market, glue-on replacement for the hooks. You sand off the old hooks, then glue on a new sheet of hooks (glue and 2 sheets of hooks supplied). Trim to diameter, and you're done.

John Gregory
10-21-2004, 2:31 PM
I found the PC brand replacement pad for my PC333 at HomeDepot yesterday. $14.96