PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy replacement focus lens

Zsolt Paul
01-21-2010, 3:14 AM
Does anyone know of or recommend a place to purchase a new 4" focus lens for my vytek 5151? Vytek wants $300 and I figured there has got to be a place that sells this for less. Thanks a mill!

Dave Johnson29
01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know of or recommend a place to purchase a new 4" focus lens for my vytek 5151? Vytek wants $300 and I figured there has got to be a place that sells this for less. Thanks a mill!

I have used Laser Research Optics for many years. They are just bare lenses so you have to install them in the mount, but they run around $100 for 3/4" diameter.

Make sure you check which side the "bump," "dip" of "flat" is on the old lens so you can install the new one the same way up.

http: //www. laserresearch . net/

Remove the 4 spaces in that link.

Dan Hintz
01-21-2010, 11:46 AM
FleaBay always has a handful of lenses for sale, though you may have more difficulty finding a 4".

Zsolt Paul
01-21-2010, 2:05 PM
Thanks Dan! Wow, $165..almost half of what Vytek wanted...

Albert Nix
01-22-2010, 9:42 AM
Dave how hard are they to change out?

Dave Johnson29
01-22-2010, 2:52 PM
Dave how hard are they to change out?

It depends on the model of the laser. Often it is not much more than unscrewing the lens holder. There will probably be a plastic washer, the lens and another plastic washer. Do not over-tighten when putting in the new lens.

Michael Kowalczyk
01-22-2010, 3:14 PM
A word of caution!!!!!!
I was told that the lenses are made of or contain ZINC which can be hazardous if it gets on or in your skin. So if you have a cracked one be careful. I would probably wear surgical type gloves when handling them but ask the manufacturer/vendor what they recommend.

I have a 4" lens and it helps me in a lot of different situations. Mine was I think 375.00 plus shipping but it came already mounted and with a focus jig. This way I can swap from 1.5 to 4 in a minute or so.

Dan Hintz
01-22-2010, 4:00 PM
A word of caution!!!!!!
I was told that the lenses are made of or contain ZINC which can be hazardous if it gets on or in your skin. So if you have a cracked one be careful. I would probably wear surgical type gloves when handling them but ask the manufacturer/vendor what they recommend.
Well, they're Zinc Selenide (ZnSe), not pure zinc, but even so you have nothing to worry about. The worst you can do is get body oil on the lens and possibly screw up the anti-reflective coating. Perfectly safe to handle.

James Stokes
01-22-2010, 4:46 PM
Vyteks Lens's Have to have a special tool to get the lens out of the holder. Then you just drop in a new lense and you are ready to go. If you need the complete holder Vytek is the only place to get them.

Zsolt Paul
01-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Vyteks Lens's Have to have a special tool to get the lens out of the holder. Then you just drop in a new lense and you are ready to go. If you need the complete holder Vytek is the only place to get them.

I do have an existing 4" and its own lens holder. I just scratched the lens and need to change it. I didn't realize you need a special tool for that.... What is this special tool? Is that also only available through Vytek?