PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

Rick Potter
01-21-2010, 2:50 AM
For some time now Sawstop has been running a full page ad in magazines. It shows a pretty lady holding a pic of a sawstop, and the headline reads "Wife Approved". The first time I saw it I handed the magazine to my wife and asked her "what's wrong with this picture?" It took her all of five seconds to hand it back and say..."no wedding ring on the wife".

Well, it seems others may have noticed and contacted sawstop, because the latest issue of WOOD magazine has the same ad, with a wedding ring photoshopped onto her finger.

Oops.

Rick Potter

Mike Cruz
01-21-2010, 9:01 AM
Yeah, there was another thread about this a little while back. I, too thought that was a HUGE overversite. But then again, I can see that maybe the ACTUAL caption "wife approved" hadn't come up yet. Maybe they took the photo to a meeting and said ,"OK, brainstorm!".

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2010, 9:35 AM
Maybe she really was a smart wife, and had removed her jewellery for a workshop photo involving machinery.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. How many of us don't wear a wedding ring because of safety issues at work, and therefore don't normally wear one when we're not at work?

Mike Cruz
01-21-2010, 9:49 AM
Mine always stays on.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2010, 9:51 AM
I haven't worn mine in 40 years of working around high powered electronics.

Belinda Barfield
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Maybe she really was a smart wife, and had removed her jewellery for a workshop photo involving machinery.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. How many of us don't wear a wedding ring because of safety issues at work, and therefore don't normally wear one when we're not at work?

You beat me to it Rod!

I'm not married, but if I was married I wouldn't wear a ring to work. Too much risk of losing a finger. If I hire a married person to work in the shop I ask them not to wear any rings. I did have one guy who absolutely refused to remove his wedding band, which was okay with me if he wanted to accept the risk. BTW, we work with large, heavy pieces of natural stone and quartz surfacing. It's very easy for the edge of the stone to catch on a ring when the stone is sliding out of your hands. Also, rough stone edges can really do some damage to rings.

Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't have noticed if the wife in the ad was wearing a ring or not.

Rick Prosser
01-21-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't wear mine, and my wife does not wear her's - due to dangers while working. It is easier to just not wear them - than to remember to take them off and put them back on (and not loose them).

Gene Howe
01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
No rings, necklaces, ties, loose sleeve cuffs, (including coats), flip flops, or hair longer that the collar.
Blood stains are too hard to remove from maple and a dropped piece of MDF can sever a toe!
Gene

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Mine always stays on.

You're fortunate to work in a job that allows jewellery, we're not allowed to wear it at work if we have a job that involves machinery or electricity.

Regards, Rod

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2010, 11:15 AM
In fact, I had one of the few jobs in the Navy, that we were TOLD TO NOT WEAR OUR DOG TAGS.

Too easy to get electrocuted.

As a teen while roughnecking on oil rigs I saw the results of my Dad nearly getting his ring finger pulled off when his wedding band got snagged by a rotary table drive chain. He was lucky!

Horton Brasses
01-21-2010, 11:50 AM
You beat me to it Rod!

I'm not married, but if I was married I wouldn't wear a ring to work. Too much risk of losing a finger. If I hire a married person to work in the shop I ask them not to wear any rings. I did have one guy who absolutely refused to remove his wedding band, which was okay with me if he wanted to accept the risk. BTW, we work with large, heavy pieces of natural stone and quartz surfacing. It's very easy for the edge of the stone to catch on a ring when the stone is sliding out of your hands. Also, rough stone edges can really do some damage to rings.

Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't have noticed if the wife in the ad was wearing a ring or not.

Belinda: Not sure what your position is on this, but it is yours or your company's liability if he hurts himself on the job. Regardless of whether he knowingly agreed to it or not. Workers Comp claims are expensive. We allow people to wear wedding bands because they aren't dangerous in our shop, but dangling things-necklaces, hanging earrings, loose sleeves, etc are not allowed. If someone is unwilling to take them off then unfortunately they cannot work for us. The judge really won't care that we warned him or her.

Craig D Peltier
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I dont wear mine, if I were to catch my hand on a saw blade I wouldnt want that ring to tug me in closer.

Dennis Peacock
01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
no rings, necklaces, ties, loose sleeve cuffs, (including coats), flip flops, or hair longer that the collar.
Blood stains are too hard to remove from maple and a dropped piece of mdf can sever a toe!
Gene

+1,000....!!!!!!!! :d

Pat Germain
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I completely understand the safety issue. But where is it written that married people must wear a ring? It's just a tradition which we can choose to follow or choose to ignore.

Long ago the ring was there to inform suitors that a person was spoken for through engagement or marriage. That's a pretty archaic situation these days. I think we've been conditioned by jewelers to view a ring as a necessity. It's not.

Last year my fingers got too fat for my wedding ring. I haven't worn it since. It's not like single women are now flocking to me. (Darn!) I might eventually buy another ring. But I've got more practical purchases currently in my "to buy" queue.

Brian Elfert
01-21-2010, 1:41 PM
I know a guy who is a mechanic who had a serious accident working on a car with a ring. He was working on something electrical under the hood of a pickup and his ring hit something still live. He was seriously injured by the heat involved from the direct short caused by his ring.

I am not married, but I hate jewelry and would never wear any. I don't have a dangerous job, but jewelry would be a serious issue for my hobbies like woodworking.

Jim Rimmer
01-21-2010, 2:11 PM
Long ago the ring was there to inform suitors that a person was spoken for through engagement or marriage. Last year my fingers got too fat for my wedding ring. I haven't worn it since. It's not like single women are now flocking to me.
These days the women just take a quick sniff. If they detect fabric softener on your clothes, they know you are married. No single guy would use fabric softener. It's how modern wives mark thier territory.

Belinda Barfield
01-21-2010, 2:27 PM
Belinda: Not sure what your position is on this, but it is yours or your company's liability if he hurts himself on the job. Regardless of whether he knowingly agreed to it or not. Workers Comp claims are expensive. We allow people to wear wedding bands because they aren't dangerous in our shop, but dangling things-necklaces, hanging earrings, loose sleeves, etc are not allowed. If someone is unwilling to take them off then unfortunately they cannot work for us. The judge really won't care that we warned him or her.

You're absolutely right, the judge won't care. That particular employee no longer works for us, but he was one of our best employees. He was in a primarily supervisory position so the risk was less. He would take his ring off when instructed to, then put it back on as soon as he walked out of the door to go to a jobsite. He received a written reprimand every time I caught him, but again, the judge wouldn't care about that.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-21-2010, 2:30 PM
I admit that I do wear my ring when ww'ing. I'll take it off if I'm doing electrical work (wiring, or panel work). and I wish I had enough hair to worry about it, but I don't LOL.

I agree that employers should be able to set reasonable restrictions. Even if people (employees) signed away their first born to acknowlege that they were warned, judges and juries these days would still rule against the employer should anything happen.

Belinda Barfield
01-21-2010, 2:49 PM
Long ago the ring was there to inform suitors that a person was spoken for through engagement or marriage.

I know a lot of women who, when they go out, put a ring on the left hand to discourage would be "suitors". Funny, I don't think I've ever heard of a guy doing that.:D

These days the women just take a quick sniff. If they detect fabric softener on your clothes, they know you are married. No single guy would use fabric softener. It's how modern wives mark thier territory.

LOL . . . that's too funny, Jim! Now I understand one problem I've been having, I don't use fabric softener and apparently I have failed to mark my territory. Of course, considering that my "territory" will flirt with virtually any female the marking would be a pure waste of time! :rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2010, 3:01 PM
I

LOL . . . that's too funny, Jim! Now I understand one problem I've been having, I don't use fabric softener and apparently I have failed to mark my territory. Of course, considering that my "territory" will flirt with virtually any female the marking would be a pure waste of time! :rolleyes:

I do my own laundry and don't use fabric softener because my Mommy asked me not to:D.

My Mom has asthma and the scent bothers her..........Rod.

Pat Germain
01-21-2010, 3:47 PM

That's flippin' hilarious, Jim!

Ladies, if you come across a guy smelling like a Kirkland dryer sheet, it's me! (See, I don't need a ring.)

Pat Germain
01-21-2010, 3:51 PM
I know a lot of women who, when they go out, put a ring on the left hand to discourage would be "suitors".

Dollars to doughnuts it's effective on only a few guys. That's why women learn the "Heisman Maneuver" at a young age.

Chris Kennedy
01-21-2010, 4:20 PM
I often remove my ring when I am in the shop -- I neither want to get hurt because I am wearing it or have it get damaged. On the other hand, I have quite a long ponytail . . . .

Cheers,

Chris

Belinda Barfield
01-21-2010, 4:37 PM
Dollars to doughnuts it's effective on only a few guys. That's why women learn the "Heisman Maneuver" at a young age.

I don't know if it is effective or not, I don't suppose my gal pals and I have ever done a scientific study on the wedding band method of deterring males. I can tell you that a sure fire way to deter the male sex is to wear a tiara. For some bizarre reason several years one of my friends showed up at my birthday party with a tiara, betting me that I wouldn't wear it all night. Since I've never been too concerned with what others think of me, I wore the darn thing. I now have an ever growing collection of tiaras, and it has become tradition for me to wear one at my birthday party. Trust me, a man will run hastily in the opposite direction if he sees a woman wearing a tiara! :D

Jim O'Dell
01-21-2010, 4:48 PM
Back when I was installing stereos for a living, I pulled 2 rings and a watch off and put in my pocket when I got to work, put them back on as I was leaving. I ruined the watch and my Baylor class ring. The details on my wedding ring were worn completely off. Should have left them at home. And I did have a power wire short while holding it. Burned across the inside joints of all 4 fingers.:eek: It was bad enough like it was. I'd hate to see what it would have been like if I had had my wedding ring on.
I too "grew into" my wedding ring a year or so ago. Almost didn't get it off. It's been on the bathroom backsplash ledge ever since, right next to my wife's wedding ring. Being a chick magnet has never been a problem I've had to deal with. :rolleyes: Jim.

Rick Potter
01-21-2010, 6:54 PM
Sheeesh. I dinna post this to start a discussion on dryer sheets, or safety, I just thought it was funny.

BTW....I never wear a wedding ring, or any jewelry, and we are going on our 46th year. Still waiting for that hot chick to make her approach.

Rick Potter

Chris Walls
01-21-2010, 8:38 PM
When my wife and I married (36 ) years ago, I was in the service, I told her at that time not to spend any serious money on a ring because I was not going to wear it anyway. Never have. I spent the last near forty years working with A/C , Heating and Refrigeration. As such near every day have my hand in or near electrical panels, often high voltage like 480 3ph , the last thing you need at that time is a ring or watch. I haven't worn either one in a very long time.

Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2010, 8:40 PM
Rick,

Here's the problem with a subject like this.

The person making the ad can't win.....

no ring....ain't married.....

ring......ain't safe....

This is a no win situation.