PDA

View Full Version : Black Acacia

Jeff Bratt
01-21-2010, 1:48 AM
Also know as Tasmanian Blackwood or Australian Blackwood. Seems to be popular for making guitars. My little wood reference book says about this wood "Gluing variable - make sure you experiment with glue before assembly." Since I have a request for a project that uses this wood, I'm trying to find out more. Is there anyone here who's used Black Acacia and can comment on gluing issues you had - or didn't have?

Van Huskey
01-21-2010, 1:58 AM
Also know as Tasmanian Blackwood or Australian Blackwood. Seems to popular for making guitars. My little wood reference book says about this wood "Gluing variable - make sure you experiment with glue before assembly." Since I have a request for a project that uses this wood, I'm trying to find out more. Is there anyone here who's used Black Acacia and can comment on gluing issues you had - or didn't have?

I used it a couple of times a couple of years ago IF it is also called Black Gidgee. The pieces I had were small so the glue didn't receive a lot of pressure, I glued it normally (didn't know of any possible issues had I it would have probably jinxed me) probably with Titebond II. I did have some splitting issues but not sure it was my wood or if it is a characteristic of the wood.

Sam Babbage
01-21-2010, 6:47 AM
Blackwood glues fine, it doesn't require any special care, preparation or adhesive. I've never had a problem with it, or any of the related acacias.

From Wood in Australia by Keith Bootle (the bible of Australian woods)...

"...nails and glues well."

It can be a bit of a challenge to work with in other areas; it's prone to burning, stringy, and dislikes being routed or planed against the grain, but it glues just fine.

It's worth it though, it's a stunningly beautiful wood!

Jamie Buxton
01-21-2010, 10:16 AM
It is commonly planted as a landscape tree in the San Francisco area, and is sometimes available from urban loggers. I built a headboard from it a couple years ago. It glued up without incident. It is not an waxy wood like teak, so I wouldn't expect it to be difficult to glue.

Montgomery Scott
01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I've used Australian blackwood for making a segmented turning. I used titebond one and it worked fine. The turning is about seven years old and the glue joints are just as sound.

Australian blackwood has a wonderful chatoyance to it, similar to African blackwood but easier to see. I have another block of the stuff I haven't gotten around to turning yet, but I'll have to say that the stuff is very stable over time.

Jeff Bratt
01-22-2010, 1:00 PM
So it looks like gluing this won't really be a problem - thanks for the replies!