PDA

View Full Version : Festool TS 55 saw blade question and semi gloat

Stephen Saar
01-21-2010, 1:24 AM
Well I got a Festool TS55 today off CL, and it's pretty much brand new for $380. It didn't come with a blade so I've been looking at some different blades and I wanted some feedback. So far I haven't seen too many blades for the TS55. The main ones I've seen are the Forrest WW1 blade, the Festool blades, and it looks like Freud also has some blades for it in the diablo series. Has anyone tried some of the different blades and can offer any commentary?

I plan mostly for using the tool to break down sheet goods so I can handle them on my TS a little easier, but I'm sure as I get more used to it I will find all kinds of new uses.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Rich Engelhardt
01-21-2010, 7:01 AM
Congrats - nice score!

Personally, I stick with the Festool blades for my TS55.

IMHO - they are right up there with all the other premium blades.

For me it's kind of a no brainer since I have to drive a half hour or more to Hartville and/or Woodcraft to buy a "better" blade anyhow. Once I get there, both carry Festool as well, so I just stay with that.

One other item you may want to pick up is a new rubber strip for the track(s).
The blade to rubber strip fit is critical to the quality of the cut the tool can deliver.

Also - if it didn't come with them, I highly recommend picking up a set of Festoll clamps for the rail(s). It works fine w/out them, but, much better with them on a lot of things.

P.S. - you're 100% correct. You will find an almost endless list of things you can do with that saw. I've lost track of the number of threads I've seen here where I've thought, "If you had a TS55, this conversation wouldn't be taking place".

Rob Wright
01-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Also there are the Tenryu blades. I don't have one - but it sounds like they are all the same kerf/plate width making replacement of the black rail strip not required when switching blades like it is when changing with stock Festool blades.

There is a lot of information on these on the festoolownersgroup.com forum.

Brice Burrell
01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Stephen, Festool blades are in general good, however, they have different kerf widths. This is a problem because they a blade with a wider kerf will cut more off the rubber edge of the guide rail. Festool has changed all of their blades to have the same kerf now but there are still a lot of the old blades on the shelves. The stock blade for the TS55 is outstanding for cutting sheet goods, Fine 48-Tooth Saw Blade part #495377 retailing for $61.50. The 48 tooth blade doesn't rip hardwood over 4/4 very well at all. I'd stay away from Festool's rip blades, they rip fine but the cut quality isn't great and there is a good chance that you'll tear up the rubber edge on the rail.

I'd strongly recommend Tenryu blades. I'd get the Tenryu 48 tooth PSW-16048AB2 and the 28 tooth PSW-16028CBD2. The 48T Tenryu is equal to the Festool 48T blade in cut quality. I like the 28T blade for cutting other materials. Plus it does a pretty good job at ripping solid wood. All Tenryu blades have the same kerf as the Festool 48T stock blade. Tenryu has a number of blades for different materials just like Festool. Plus, the Tenryu blades are a little money then the Festool blades.

Forrest does make blades but they are pricey and not nearly the value of the Tenryu or Festool blades. I know Freud makes blades but I don't think you can get them in the US.

Matt Meiser
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
You might contact Brian at Holbren to see if he's carrying the Oshlun blades. I tried one that is comparable to the stock blade and couldn't see any performance difference between the two. The price was going to be quite a bit lower.

Mike Goetzke
01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Don't know if this will help you, but, I recently bought a Makita SP6000K track saw from a great SMC member. I want to use this saw for long rips on plywood and cleaning an edge on rough sawn hardwood. I found the stock 48TH blade didn't like ripping hardwood. Not knowing the saw had a 20mm arbor I put on a thin kerf 6-1/2" 24TH Makita blade I had from a cordless saw. It cut the hardwood like warm butter. On the Makita the 5/8" arbor blade pilots perfectly but doesn't have enough back side blade support. So I just ordered some arbor shims to give it full support. Now I can buy a $9 24TH Freud blade and $19 40TH Freud blade for this saw. It does push the blade out by 0.040" (1mm) but I'll just replace the anti-chip strip on the rail.

Hope this helps with your saw too,

Mike

Mike Goetzke
01-21-2010, 11:50 AM
You might contact Brian at Holbren to see if he's carrying the Oshlun blades. I tried one that is comparable to the stock blade and couldn't see any performance difference between the two. The price was going to be quite a bit lower.

Matt I though Oshlun were junk. I see for my saw the 6-1/2" 24TH 5/8" arbor blade is $8 and $10 for 40TH! Tempting!

Mike

Matt Meiser
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I've just made a couple test cuts with it, but in MDF-core cherry ply and some veneer core oak ply, there was no noticeable difference.