PDA

View Full Version : Foredom???

Carroll Courtney
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Guys I am looking at acouple of powercarvers,but I'm new to this area of woodworking.So my choices are Wecheer or Foredom which is the brand that I have seen over the yrs.The purpose is to hog out wood at a pretty good pace using Saburr 1/4 shaft bits and to have alittle control during the process.What I have notice is that you can purchase 1/6hp or 1/3hp,guessing that the 1/3 would be better for removing wood and do alittle sanding as well.What model would be your suggestion and advice on power carvers.New ones is 300plus,so I may be looking for a used one.Thanks Carroll

Mauricio Ulloa
01-21-2010, 5:04 AM
Hi,

I just bought a Foredom. It seems to be the standard of the market, so every supplier makes bits for it and for it's attachments. I also have seen really good comments about it from current users.

I found a really good deal on eBay.

Good luck with your purchase.

Mauricio Ulloa
01-21-2010, 9:47 AM
Hi Carol,

I looked at the Wecheer today. It seems the same as the Foredom, but less expensive. I did some research in the internet with current users of this system and they are very happy with it. All the parts are interchangeable with foredom parts, including the handpieces.

Mark Yundt
01-21-2010, 9:48 AM
I've had my Foredom for quite some time and I wouldn't be without it. I tend to always go for more power. Sort of a Tim "the tool man" Taylor approach! OH, Oh OH!

I've abused this tool more than any other and it just keeps on going. It's the only one I haven't been able to kill.
I haven't used the other so I can't comment on it.