PDA

View Full Version : Your source for Fein Multimaster compatible blades

Michael Weber
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm looking for sources for compatible blades for my Multimaster with the quick release blade mounting. I found a few sources online and found out that some of the clones like the Sears model might fit. Does anyone have a favorite source they have dealt with? As always, price vs. quality is important. thanks

Trace Beard
01-20-2010, 11:18 PM
I've purchased from Specialty Diamond Blades and Tools through their ebay store in the past. Excellent product and great CS. The cost of Fein blades are ridiculous.

item #130360610366

Michael Weber
01-21-2010, 9:49 AM
Thanks Trace, I'll check them out. Totally agree about the cost of the Fein blades.

Alan Schwabacher
01-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure about fitting the Fein as I have a clone, but Bosch blades are available from McFeely's.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/multi-x

Joe Scharle
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I use Sears Nextec on mine.

Eric Gustafson
01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Don't turn your nose to the Harbor Freight blades. They do not have the star pattern, but they work surprisingly well and they are cheap.

Michael Weber
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Alan, Joe and Eric. Eric, if the HF blades don't have the star pattern but just the series of holes how do they mount in the Fein?

BOB OLINGER
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
How do you guys like the Multimaster. I just saw the TV advertisement. They didn't show a price - I see why - checking the website shows $399. That seems like a very high cost for a hand tool. I noticed HF was advertising a similar tool - I don't recollect exactly, but seemed like about $49. Anyone with comments on it, also? I could use a tool like this for occasional application, but I don't see it for $399.

Michael Weber
01-21-2010, 1:21 PM
Been lot's of discussion here and other places vis-a-vis HF vs Fein vs Dremel vs Bosch vs Sears etc.

Consesus is the Fein is the very best quality and will last a lifetime but it's expensive and Fein blades are outragously expensive.
The HF is the cheapest of all the knockoffs but in many cases is good enough for what it's intended. If your an occasional user then the HF model is a good choice, just don't expect the quaility of the Fein and be prepared to have to replace it at some point down the road. If you expect heavy or professional use then the Fein or another of the better copies might be the best choice.

Jerome Hanby
01-21-2010, 1:35 PM
HF has a new model out that's variable speed with the top speed up where Fein and the more expensive clones sit. Bought one yesterday. The three year replacement plan was $9.95 and the unit was on sale for $59.99.

I'll post back when I get a chance to use it and compare it to the single speed model.

The display also showed more accessories. Had a diamond blade (which was a good bit cheaper than the Dremel grout blade I bought to use on the single speed unit) and several single pack blades that looked a little "better" than the blade that comes with the unit (and in the three pack). Still no real metal cutting blade (just soft stuff like aluminum and brass), so nothing that will chew through nails.

Josiah Bartlett
01-21-2010, 3:45 PM
There are two HF half moon blades. Sorry, I can't find the thicker one on the HF web site, but it claims to be able to cut ferrous metal. Its not the one that comes with the unit. It has a straight cut on the edge instead of the curved cut like the 67279 blade. It also has a thicker kerf and no center hub section.
I'll check the item number when I get home and see if it can handle a nail.

Myk Rian
01-21-2010, 3:59 PM
I've used the HF carbide half moon blade to cut small screws, but it takes a while. It does a good job of smoothing the screw after being cut. The diamond cutter takes a lot longer to do the same thing.

Eric Gustafson
01-21-2010, 4:11 PM
When you put the bolt through the blade's hole, you press on the end of the bolt and flip the lever. The bolt doesn't seat flush like the blades with the star pattern, but it will hold the blade in place adequately.

Thanks Alan, Joe and Eric. Eric, if the HF blades don't have the star pattern but just the series of holes how do they mount in the Fein?

Eric Gustafson
01-21-2010, 4:14 PM
I don't think the carbide blades are very useful, IMO. I also have not found the multimaster good for cutting steel. I have used it on copper pipe and it works good, but on steel it just gets dull and that is with Fein's blades, too.

Stephen Saar
01-21-2010, 5:08 PM
I have the HF unit, and I'm happy with it, but I only use for odd things, don't need it to perform terribly well, but I would like to buy some better blades for it. I checked the McFeely's site for the blades listed, but I wasn't sure if they worked on the HF units. Anyone know if they do?

Don Morris
01-21-2010, 5:51 PM
I've had a multimaster for years and love the sucker. I can't count the number of projects that all of the sudden think of a way the multimaster could, and has solved the problem I was having. But replace the blades...man that's expensive. When I was undergoing a whole home renovation even the contractor we had said he loved them too, and we both complained about the expense of the replacement blades. He even calls once in a while when he's going to buy blades to see if I want to go in with him. I've got plenty of blades now...but...before I go and replace the next one that wears out, I'm going to try Sears, HF, etc. I think it's like the Festool argument: fabulous tool, works really well, but can you justify the expense? Also, I have the old model, I think I'd really like the new model with the handy release mechanism.

gottfried jacobsen
12-28-2010, 4:23 PM
link for blades folks on a contruction forum swear by they say the fellow can also make custom for special use needs company www.multiblades (http://www.multiblades.com).com tags Low cost, high quality after market blades for the Fein MultiMaster, Bosch, Dremel, Chicago and other brands.
Happy New Year

Scot Ferraro
12-28-2010, 11:09 PM
This thread is a year old, but I just received an adapter from Bosch and a free blade to use with my Multimaster. If you go to boschjoethepro.com you can register for a free adapter and blade. The Bosch blades are made in Switzerland and seem high quality.

Jay Maiers
12-29-2010, 7:15 AM
Thanks Scot.
I've got an older Fein with adjustable speeds. I use it a good bit for sanding, and once in a while for flush cutoff duties. It's old enought that it does not have the star pattern head.

About sanding (house projects, not just ww stuff...):
I found that I would clog the paper well before I would wear off the grit. Since the Fein sandpaper is so expensive, I bought some of the HF hook and loop paper. My first impression is that I'll keep buying it for general purpose stuff, and reserve my remaining stock of Fein sandpaper on nicer / more finished projects. Take that with a grain of salt though; I've only used a couple of pieces and won't have a chance to give it a real workout for quite a while.

Does anyone else offer PSA sandpaper wedges that will fit the Fein?

BTW, I also bought a half-moon blade from HF. It seems to work fine, but I doubt it will last as long as the Fein blades.

Rob Sack
12-29-2010, 10:35 PM
This thread is a year old, but I just received an adapter from Bosch and a free blade to use with my Multimaster. If you go to boschjoethepro.com you can register for a free adapter and blade. The Bosch blades are made in Switzerland and seem high quality.

Evidently, you need a promotion code to register. Anyone have one?

Scot Ferraro
12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Robert,

I got my code from Woodshop News but they are available in the October issues of JLC, Woodshop News, Popular Woodworking, Canadian Home Workshop and the Sept/Oct issue of Remodeling.

http://www.boschjoethepro.com/REGISTER/free-OIS-offer.aspx

I just recycled my last issue of Woodshop News, but I can look for Popular Woodworking if you do not have it.

Scot

Van Huskey
12-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Imperial blades are GREAT!

Jay Maiers
12-30-2010, 7:24 AM
Evidently, you need a promotion code to register. Anyone have one?

Here's the one I used:
OISC10

Rob Sack
12-30-2010, 8:46 PM
Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Rick Moyer
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I almost re-entered as it was SO long until mine finally showed up the other day. For those of you who have sent for the adapter and free blade, I think it took several months before mine showed up.

Curt Harms
01-10-2011, 7:17 AM
link for blades folks on a contruction forum swear by they say the fellow can also make custom for special use needs company www.multiblades (http://www.multiblades.com).com tags Low cost, high quality after market blades for the Fein MultiMaster, Bosch, Dremel, Chicago and other brands.
Happy New Year

+1 on multiblades. I recently cut a few dozen feet of baseboard to install wood flooring. Most of it was cut with a multiblades blade. it lasted and cut at least as well as the Fein blade.