PDA

View Full Version : Microdot Laminate now at Home Depot

Matt Meiser
01-20-2010, 10:43 PM
If you've looked at any of the Woodpecker or Pinnacle router tables or drill press tables, you've probably noticed the microdot laminate which supposedly reduces friction by trapping sawdust. Today while at Home Depot, I noticed they are now carrying it in black 4x8 sheets. So if you are looking for a cool surface for tables and the like...

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Just curious did you notice the price?

Matt Meiser
01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh, I was going to put that in there. About $40-$45 per sheet.

Joseph Tarantino
01-20-2010, 11:03 PM
any chance you know the 6 digit sku? all my local HDs can't find anything without the item's sku.

Brian Effinger
01-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Store SKU # 240828

I found it on their website. :)

Salem Ganzhorn
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
If you've looked at any of the Woodpecker or Pinnacle router tables or drill press tables, you've probably noticed the microdot laminate which supposedly reduces friction by trapping sawdust. Today while at Home Depot, I noticed they are now carrying it in black 4x8 sheets. So if you are looking for a cool surface for tables and the like...

heh... why would you want to reduce friction on a drill press table?! :)

Frank Martin
01-21-2010, 1:44 AM
I always wondered the same when I saw Woodpecker's sales pitch for this material for the DP table. Either I am missing something or they did not realize DP and RT surfaces ideally should be different in terms low/high friction.

Van Huskey
01-21-2010, 1:49 AM

One use would be if you sand on the DP. But agreed DP tables don't need to be slick.

Kevin S.
01-21-2010, 1:21 PM
Store SKU # 240828

I found it on their website. :)

Hmm, I'm not finding it on the HD site using the SKU or "Microdot".

-kevin

Jerome Hanby
01-21-2010, 1:27 PM
Hmm, I'm not finding it on the HD site using the SKU or "Microdot".

-kevin

Same here...until I changed "my store" to one near Ida, MI. Then it found it fine. I never realized the web site was regionally oriented.

Eddie Ng
01-21-2010, 2:05 PM
I believe the product that you are referring to is made by Formica.
http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/en/index/laminate/collection/microdot.html

I purchased a 4x8 sheet and used a portion of it for my router table top. I can attest that it does reduce the friction which is nice.

I purchased mine as a special order from the local Rona store. It cost $120 Canadian.

Noah Katz
01-21-2010, 4:40 PM
"heh... why would you want to reduce friction on a drill press table?!"

To make it easier to position the part.

Tony Shea
01-21-2010, 4:52 PM
In many cases drill press tables need to be slick, or would be prefered slick. For example, installing decking boards and pre-drilling all the pilot holes. As long as a fence is set up it doesn't cause issues when actually drilling. I just installed an Ipe deck this summer and waxed the hell out of the press table and supports so I could slide to each consecutive hole much easier. There would be many similar cases that one would want a slick DP table.

Matt Meiser
01-21-2010, 5:36 PM
Same here...until I changed "my store" to one near Ida, MI. Then it found it fine. I never realized the web site was regionally oriented.

Actually, it doesn't even show up if you select the 2nd closest store to Ida which happened to be my default. I changed to the closest one, and the one where I saw it and the search found it it at both. You might try a few stores in your area if you are interested.

Jim O'Dell
01-21-2010, 6:27 PM
I think the reason it doesn't show up at all stores is that some of the stores, most of them here, don't carry laminate. I have to drive to an Arlington store about 20 miles away to find a HD with laminate in stock. While most of the Lowes carry 4 to 6 different patter/colors. Jim.

Salem Ganzhorn
01-21-2010, 8:53 PM
In many cases drill press tables need to be slick, or would be prefered slick. For example, installing decking boards and pre-drilling all the pilot holes. As long as a fence is set up it doesn't cause issues when actually drilling. I just installed an Ipe deck this summer and waxed the hell out of the press table and supports so I could slide to each consecutive hole much easier. There would be many similar cases that one would want a slick DP table.

I don't put sandpaper on my DP table :). Wood slides pretty easy over MDF. And the MDF provides enough texture to help clamping. I wouldn't want it any slicker.

So let me rephrase: why would you want your DP slicker than MDF :).